Actual Tesla CyberTruck Towing Test in Cold Weather

My post was in regard to MPG in another post, in that post was a discussion of gas mpg loss compared to EV mileage loss. EV loses boat loads more mileage when towing. I was within the 5,100 Lb tow rating which at some point somewhere I posted. Not unsafe at all. (mostly)
This was the post I replied too and I have the same experience, about a 20 to 30% decrease in mileage they higher decrease was towing the large U-Haul. Which had its own brakes

"burbguy82 said:
The expectation that the EV should be congruent to the ICE is way out of the spectrum of fairness. On my HD gasser, I get about a 20%-30% decrease in range, not 75%+ like EV"

View attachment 200254View attachment 200255
So what is the argument with my statement?

Your reading my post wrong *LOL*
I am agreeing with you! I said I have had the same experience as you of losing 20 to 30% which is boatloads less loss then an EV doing the same. Read who I am replying too :)
I see, I was confused. Driving conditions and terrain obviously change the number, but by in large a 30% change is what I have seen. 6.0 gas. No problem. Support and opposition are needed for a balanced conversation.

One thing about the battery power stuff, it has been tested on a smaller scale with power tools over the last 20 years. Higher draw requires higher amperage batteries, but has yielded no longer run time. Brushless vs brushed. I understand a different application, but the math has to translate to a degree.

My post was in regard to MPG in another post, in that post was a discussion of gas mpg loss compared to EV mileage loss. EV loses boat loads more mileage when towing. I was within the 5,100 Lb tow rating which at some point somewhere I posted. Not unsafe at all. (mostly)
This was the post I replied too and I have the same experience, about a 20 to 30% decrease in mileage the higher decrease was towing the large U-Haul. Which had its own brakes

"burbguy82 said:
The expectation that the EV should be congruent to the ICE is way out of the spectrum of fairness. On my HD gasser, I get about a 20%-30% decrease in range, not 75%+ like EV"

View attachment 200254View attachment 200255
Wow, a trailer thst has a 55mph speed limit… even better to operate and brag about driving 82!

Congrats on the Massively inefficient ICE not being hurt as bad with extra load. I don’t know what to say. It’s not like the result is unexpected.

More interesting would be the root cause. I have data for just how the Tesla cells perform at elevated rates. But it’s not published so I’m not going to share here. An ideal battery optimized for efficient high power delivery would have far fewer losses, but would carry less total energy as a result.

Given that most folks dont routinely tow, it’s probably a good compromise for most anyone that wants a truck as a fashion accessory, which is what most of them are.

Anyone wanting to do real work can get an ICE. Not an unexpected outcome…

Im a bigger fan of hybrids anyway…

As usual, EVs are good for certain things, not others. Maybe more specifically, electric propulsion is good for certain things and not others. There’s a reason why electric street cars and trains have been in use for 100+ years.

Wow, a trailer thst has a 55mph speed limit… even better to operate and brag about driving 82!

Congrats on the Massively inefficient ICE not being hurt as bad with extra load. I don’t know what to say. It’s not like the result is unexpected.

More interesting would be the root cause. I have data for just how the Tesla cells perform at elevated rates. But it’s not published so I’m not going to share here. An ideal battery optimized for efficient high power delivery would have far fewer losses, but would carry less total energy as a result.

Given that most folks dont routinely tow, it’s probably a good compromise for most anyone that wants a truck as a fashion accessory, which is what most of them are.

Anyone wanting to do real work can get an ICE. Not an unexpected outcome…

Im a bigger fan of hybrids anyway…

As usual, EVs are good for certain things, not others. Maybe more specifically, electric propulsion is good for certain things and not others. There’s a reason why electric street cars and trains have been in use for 100+ years.
Yeah, my wife was following me mentioned that sticker on the back! 😂
As far as your choice of words that I was bragging, that is your judgment, I was stating facts on mileage versus electric vehicles.
Some people don’t understand the concept based on where they live of wide, open roads and fast moving traffic.

Agree that the current electric vehicle is not, and never will be as versatile as a gasoline

Last edited:
Yeah, my wife was following me mentioned that sticker on the back! 😂

Agree that the current electric vehicle is not, and never will be as versatile as a gasoline
I think those who doubt the versatility of future evs are short sighted, the same way some were convinced gasoline engines could never achieve more then 20% thermal efficiency.....40% thermal efficiency Toyota dynamic force. ?

For you.

I'm not sure he said what you are agreeing to, but thats between you and jhzr2.

None of can answer what works better for 3rd parties that may value at home charging more than anything an ice can offer.

I think those who doubt the versatility of future evs are short sighted, the same way some were convinced gasoline engines could never achieve more then 20% thermal efficiency.....40% thermal efficiency Toyota dynamic force. ?
Well, now that remains to be proved with data, correct?🙃
It’s hard to predict the future, we know the current battery operated EV will never be fully accepted.
I don’t think anybody is claiming that some future vehicle won’t be accepted if it can fill up as conveniently and as fast as gasoline and be cost-effective.
To think otherwise, would be shortsighted as to deny any future technology on any product

For you.

I'm not sure he said what you are agreeing to, but thats between you and jhzr2.

None of can answer what works better for 3rd parties that may value at home charging more than anything an ice can offer.
But my statement does stand true an electric vehicle is not as versatile as gasoline,
I understand what you’re saying what works better for third parties.
But I cannot envision the world with current battery operated vehicles being as convenient as gasoline vehicles.

We can’t use one single vehicle in a home as an example. A gasoline vehicle can have 15 cars at a house 150 apartments in the building or 100 floors in a high-rise.
That’s my only thought process in gasoline versus electric. In most cases, the gasoline is more universal at the present time vs specific uses for a limited amount of people that an electric works for in their household.

I don’t think anybody in this forum, maybe better said the vast majority of people in this forum also have a gasoline vehicle that can be relied upon in all circumstances of travel.

But my statement does stand true an electric vehicle is not as versatile as gasoline,
I understand what you’re saying what works better for third parties.
But I cannot envision the world with current battery operated vehicles being as convenient as gasoline vehicles.

We can’t use one single vehicle in a home as an example. A gasoline vehicle can have 15 cars at a house 150 apartments in the building or 100 floors in a high-rise.
That’s my only thought process in gasoline versus electric. In most cases, the gasoline is more universal at the present time vs specific uses for a limited amount of people that an electric works for in their household.

I don’t think anybody in this forum, maybe better said the vast majority of people in this forum also have a gasoline vehicle that can be relied upon in all circumstances of travel.

When you define versatility and convenience your answer may always be ICE as more being more of both. I believe for you it is.

If someone else defines both as - Starting every day with a full "tank" while never having to visit a gas station again" no ice can compete. - who are we to tell them their definition of convenience and versatility is wrong? At best we can say it doesn't align with mine.

I don't understand this sentence can you give me some more context? - We can’t use one single vehicle in a home as an example. A gasoline vehicle can have 15 cars at a house 150 apartments in the building or 100 floors in a high-rise.

I wouldnt expect anyone in this forum to say they are more versatile, but this wouldnt be the forum I would expect that in.
If you spend some time in EV forums there are thousands of poeple (and the list is growing not shrinking) that absolutely prefer an EV to ICE and would pick them every time.

When you define versatility and convenience your answer may always be ICE as more being more of both. I believe for you it is.

If someone else defines both as - Starting every day with a full "tank" while never having to visit a gas station again" no ice can compete. - who are we to tell them their definition of convenience and versatility is wrong? At best we can say it doesn't align with mine.

I don't understand this sentence can you give me some more context? - We can’t use one single vehicle in a home as an example. A gasoline vehicle can have 15 cars at a house 150 apartments in the building or 100 floors in a high-rise.

I wouldnt expect anyone in this forum to say they are more versatile, but this wouldnt be the forum I would expect that in.
If you spend some time in EV forums there are thousands of poeple (and the list is growing not shrinking) that absolutely prefer an EV to ICE and would pick them every time.
To me it seems the more people that show up that have the opinion that an EV works for them gets more attention from those that disagree and I feel they're likely missing the point of why this is a EV section of the site. How it became the rally against the EV forum I don't get.

I could easily do with just EVs, but I love my ICE cars and would struggle to get rid of them. The TSX has been amazing; the GS got everything right. The classics don't count. I don't see myself buying another ICE ride, unless I needed another PU.
Of course the Tundra is on another level; it ain't going nowhere.

To me it seems the more people that show up that have the opinion that an EV works for them gets more attention from those that disagree and I feel they're likely missing the point of why this is a EV section of the site. How it became the rally against the EV forum I don't get.
Reluctance to change. Youtube. Clickbait.
It's just a car for heaven's sake.

Well, now that remains to be proved with data, correct?🙃
It’s hard to predict the future we know the current battery operated EV will never be fully accepted.
I don’t think anybody is claiming that some future vehicle won’t be accepted if it can fill up as conveniently and as fast as gasoline
How have you concluded that current evs are not accepted and will never be fully accepted?

Apparently the cybertruck is only getting about 250 miles out of a charge when driven conservatively. This is way off the 350 miles that Tesla and Musk claimed. My question is why haven't the morons returned it or cancelled more orders? If a gas vehicle got that different fuel mileage people would be really irate.

Very fair statement.

The expectation that the EV should be congruent to the ICE is way out of the spectrum of fairness. On my HD gasser, I get about a 20%-30% decrease in range, not 75%+ like EV

One thing that EV is superior for is power. Torque is constant at all RPM ranges. The ICE crew leaves this out conveniently.

If they would have started with trucks, and got it close to perfect, cars would be a easy mark to hit.

I wonder what the MPG an EV gets?
Huh? I meet or exceed EPA in everything except one if the cars I've owned.

All the tesla range rating are EPA 5 cycle, so unless ones usage mimics that , you'll never hit the rated range.

This is highway mixed with slow speed, plus stop and go ac on and off.

"Range" to me (and bitog at large) is 100% highway at (or above) the posted limit with AC/ HVAC on.
Ill have to test this in my GT. C&D got 190mi at 75mph out of it though, rated at 206mi. Ill call this a "meets advertising".

Back