Acrylic Latex Paint

What is the missing ingredient for Acrylic Latex Paint? Does one producer make the missing ingredient for all the paint manufacturers? It was reasonable that Sherwin Williams paint became scarce in Texas due to Big Chill last February but it's still unavailable. At least their A-100 Base Acrylic Latex Satin. Their Exterior Wood primer is only available in quarts. Sherwin Williams produces paint in many parts of the country. I called to California and Ohio, not available there either. I heard something about a Dow Chemical Plant in Lake Jackson TX that had a non freeze damage, explosion? Are they the only company and location that makes ingredients for Acrylic Latex paint? I already visited a paint related forum and they had no clue.

My supplier told me Benjamin Morre is having issues getting some of the raw materials used to make Fresh Start Latex primer. It is impacting Sherwin Williams and the others in paint manufacturing across the board. Add that to a big price hike in addition to higher fuel costs and higher wages going to truck drivers, etc.

I recently bought 7 gallons at Sherwin Williams...best I could get was 25% off with a manager override instead of what used to be the normal 30% or even 40%. They cited the supply shortage.

My supplier told me Benjamin Morre is having issues getting some of the raw materials used to make Fresh Start Latex primer. It is impacting Sherwin Williams and the others in paint manufacturing across the board. Add that to a big price hike in addition to higher fuel costs and higher wages going to truck drivers, etc.
The funny part about Benjamin Moore - it’s under the same Berkshire Hathaway umbrella as Lubrizol. I think they and Behr weathered this chemical shortage well. Behr even introduced a new paint called Dynasty(but at nearly $60/gallon, you might as well go Ben Moore). A local paint brand here(Kelly-Moore) is rocked hard by the shortage since their manufacturing is in Texas.

The funny part about Benjamin Moore - it’s under the same Berkshire Hathaway umbrella as Lubrizol. I think they and Behr weathered this chemical shortage well. Behr even introduced a new paint called Dynasty(but at nearly $60/gallon, you might as well go Ben Moore). A local paint brand here(Kelly-Moore) is rocked hard by the shortage since their manufacturing is in Texas.
I've been painting professionally since 1978. When Berkshire Hathaway bought BM imo it was the beginning of ridiculously high prices for paint. BM Aura paint paved the path for $75/gallon+ latex paint, others followed with their supposed premium plus products. The current economic climate isn't helping either. Regarding the shortage, I don't see it ending anytime soon.

I've been painting professionally since 1978. When Berkshire Hathaway bought BM imo it was the beginning of ridiculously high prices for paint. BM Aura paint paved the path for $75/gallon+ latex paint, others followed with their supposed premium plus products. The current economic climate isn't helping either. Regarding the shortage, I don't see it ending anytime soon.
I see that Sherwin Williams is 35 ties larger than Kelley Moore. Looks like Kelley Moore is made in Texas and California. Lowes sells Sherwin Williams but it is not the same paint sold in SW's stores. A painter friend recommended Kelley Moore but their store location was not good for me, so I stayed with SW. Their paint held up well and their store gave excellent service. Right after that Kelley Moore opened up locations convenient for me.

I am still wondering what the missing ingredient for Acrylic Latex Exterior paint is. I used the Satin finish because it is a lot easier to wash. We get lots of mold part of the year and dust the rest of the year. Is Dow Chemical the only manufacturer of the Acrylic component?

I see that Sherwin Williams is 35 ties larger than Kelley Moore. Looks like Kelley Moore is made in Texas and California. Lowes sells Sherwin Williams but it is not the same paint sold in SW's stores. A painter friend recommended Kelley Moore but their store location was not good for me, so I stayed with SW. Their paint held up well and their store gave excellent service. Right after that Kelley Moore opened up locations convenient for me.

I am still wondering what the missing ingredient for Acrylic Latex Exterior paint is. I used the Satin finish because it is a lot easier to wash. We get lots of mold part of the year and dust the rest of the year. Is Dow Chemical the only manufacturer of the Acrylic component?
Titanium Dioxide is used in a good quality latex primer and latex paints. A large portion comes from abroad and is sitting offshore. Add to it a Finnish suppler had a fire adding to the problem which is hurting all paint manufacturers. This problem is not going to go away anytime soon.

Titanium Dioxide is used in a good quality latex primer and latex paints. A large portion comes from abroad and is sitting offshore. Add to it a Finnish suppler had a fire adding to the problem which is hurting all paint manufacturers. This problem is not going to go away anytime soon.
Where do we get most of it from? China?

I think both Behr and Ben Moore try to one-up each other - Behr started the “2-in-1” paint movement with Premium Plus Ultra(now just called Behr Ultra), Ben Moore responded by tweaking the labels on their paint. When Aura came out, Behr released Marquee. And now I see BM reformulate Aura just when Behr’s pushing Dynasty. Behr targets the lower end of the market, BM the pros and perfectionists.

I’m not a pro painter, but my impressions of Behr Premium Plus still linger. Ultra isn’t a bad product IMO, but colorfastness and Behr should never be used in the same sentence.

Last time I painted my house it was 100% acrylic latex, so I'm guessing it's the acrylic base plastic that there is a shortage of?

I think both Behr and Ben Moore try to one-up each other - Behr started the “2-in-1” paint movement with Premium Plus Ultra(now just called Behr Ultra), Ben Moore responded by tweaking the labels on their paint. When Aura came out, Behr released Marquee. And now I see BM reformulate Aura just when Behr’s pushing Dynasty. Behr targets the lower end of the market, BM the pros and perfectionists.

I’m not a pro painter, but my impressions of Behr Premium Plus still linger. Ultra isn’t a bad product IMO, but colorfastness and Behr should never be used in the same sentence.
Behr has some decent products, however most of my customers are conditioned to request BM paints. IMO BM Aura paint is a ripoff. When it was first introduced I was the President of the local PDCA chapter and BM had a big presence there. I was given a sample to try and report back. Aura is their premium line and is not cheap. They claim as do most paint mfgs one coat coverage, only the rep was really hyping it and making ridiculous claims. I was using a light beige which is one of the best covering colors there is, it was going over linen white. One coat didn't cover, and when the rep asked at an open meeting and I told him, he tried to shift the blame to me. That's a bad move. So I challenged him to come to one of my jobs with his favorite brush and roller and prove me wrong. He shut up real fast. As a result anytime a customer asks for Aura paint I quote them the up-charge, tell them the story and they have me use the BM select paints. lol

I'm not a pro either, but a semi perfectionist. Started by painting my parents house decades ago. Dad had me scraping the lead paint off and heating the hard to remove spots with a propane torch. When I built our house I used Behr. Was not a pleasure to brush on even w/additives. 12 years ago I removed it down to the wood and went to SW. Been happy w/it after 12 years. Only 1 loose spot that gets intense sun. I removed one section of siding because the rain gutter developed a pinhole on it's backside ruining a lot of the pine siding and some of the structure. Replaced with same and just finished priming. Fortunately I procured enough SW Acrylic Latex Deep Base Satin to do the job. Benjamin Moore was recommended but their store gave lousy service and were not able to match the color so I went to SW. Don't know if it's the best but I am happy with it. What's your take on SW?

Years ago I went to the library and researched Consumers Reports back a few years. Seemed like the industry was in a transition. One year one brand was the best, and the next year the worst was best. I believe CR is honest but uses a different yard stick than pros. Same for the automobile reports.

As someone that works in the paint mfg business water and solvent it is absolute everything not just one item.
The pic is on huge item and what everyone is screaming for and is at a Premium.
Screenshot_20211118-150347_Gallery.jpg

Back