Paint and Primer in One any good for exterior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be painting the trim around our house. It is in dire need of it. The paint on the side that faces the wind has a lot of peeling; the other side trim looks decent (but no better).

I looked around, and we will probably be using the Sherwin Williams available at Lowes, or the paint bought directly from a SW store. I was told in Lowes today that most of the paint now, even exterior, already has prime mixed into the paint—their “paint and primer in one.”

Now I’m not complaining—that would save me some labor (by not forcing me to buy and apply a separate coat of primer) but my question is—does this paint and primer in one sacrifice longevity of the paint? Reason why I’m asking is that when I first bought this house, I applied some sealant to a redwood fence without a coat of primer underneath, and within a few years I noticed peeling. If I go this easy route, will I be setting myself up for more early peeling?

I would do primer then paint. I'm not up on the latest and greatest however. Another member will be along.

Last edited:
For me prime first then paint. You need a good base for the paint to adhere to. I'm sure this prime and paint all in one would be fine but I don't think it would last as long as if you primed and then painted.

Also, I was always told to prime with oil base primer, then latex if you want. Oil base just seems to "soak" into the wood better than a latex primer.

Prime first then paint. I just completed a total interior paint job on my house along with two exterior doors. I used PPG, Porter, Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. I primed the exterior doors with Zinnser 1-2-3 and used the SW Snap Dry over that. I wasn’t impressed with the Sherwin Williams. It was way too thin. Thank goodness I had some leftover Porter Advantage 900 to go on top of the SW. In my opinion, Sherwin Williams is way overrated and overpriced. Benjamin Moore trim paint is excellent but, you’ll pay top dollar. PPG/Pittsburgh and Porter will give you the best bang for the buck. Buy it at your local PPG dealer.

Sign up online to get those Sherwin Williams coupons. Like car manufacturers, they have several lines of paints. Just saying Sherwin Williams is like saying Chevy. Anyway, they normally have 30-40% of sales all the time, normally around the holidays. The 40% is a bit more rare, 30% is pretty much every other month, they have it now til the 27th. I used Duration for the exterior, I think they might have a better line of paint than Duration out now, maybe Emerald. Benjamin Moore has their Aura line which is a top line paint. Some stores will give you the painting contractor price if you just ask, otherwise the list price is a bit on the high side.

I've done a lot of painting. All paint today had primer in it. Primer has two purposes, sticking and sealing. The primer in paint is sticking. If you have bare wood, you need to wire brush, then sand, then prime. If no bare wood, wire brush, sand, paint.

Benjamin Moore is great paint. I like Glidden.

If you need more than one gallon, only buy paint from a store that mixes it with a computer for greater accuracy of paint matching on subsequent gallons.

Last edited:
We do have a local Benjamin Moore supplier. I'll go by there this weekend and see what lines they do have.

First clean, then prep= [scrape, wire brush, sand, etc.] then clean the areas you prepped again, prime, then paint.

All in one products for exterior painting projects are not good. For exterior trim: after all the work I mentioned earlier is done, prime with an oil based primer and topcoat with a latex trim paint. Allow the oil primer to dry at least 24 hours, and make certain it is applied to a dry moisture free surface. Latex topcoats can be applied to a damp surface w/o issue, however a dry surface out of direct sunlight is best.

Most of today's paints advertise the primer is built into the paint, use a dedicated primer, you'll know why in a few years.

Originally Posted By: paulri
Prep, oil based primer, then latex paint. Sounds like a plan.

thumbsup2.gif

I use oil primer and paint for metal only. I see no need to use oil for wood, and if anything, latex is slightly thinner than oil and it may soak in better thus sealing the wood better.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I use oil primer and paint for metal only. I see no need to use oil for wood, and if anything, latex is slightly thinner than oil and it may soak in better thus sealing the wood better.

Latex primer dries faster, and as a result it has less time to penetrate and seal the surface. It lays on top. A good exterior oil base primer dries much slower, gets in deeper and seals better. For a top coat latex trim paint is the way to go for this instance.

Prep, prime with Glidden/PPG Gripper or Zinsser 1-2-3, paint. Sure, Behr and Ben Moore are "self-priming" but a separate primer offers vastly superior stain killing and sealing abilities.

However, I helped paint a rental for my parents with Behr Premium Plus Ultra and it seems to be holding up fine. But the color retention with Behr isn't that good.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Prep, prime with Glidden/PPG Gripper or Zinsser 1-2-3, paint. Sure, Behr and Ben Moore are "self-priming" but a separate primer offers vastly superior stain killing and sealing abilities.

However, I helped paint a rental for my parents with Behr Premium Plus Ultra and it seems to be holding up fine. But the color retention with Behr isn't that good.

The thing with Bejamin Moore Aura is that even though it lists for around 70+ a gallon and the discount used to be in the $20 range, they claim it's a two coat max type paint. So you spend more on paint, but sometimes you can get away with one coat. If you put on a good coat, I've been able to get away with just one coat on Sherwin Williams's Superpaint for interior which is one step below their Duration line. I used Duration about 10 years ago on the exterior of a house and it's still holding up well. That had a coat of primer plus two coats though. If you pay more for good paint, it's actually less money overall as you have less labor to pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back