Acea A3/B4 5W-30 recommendation for cold weather (-5 degrees Farenheit)

Sounds like good advice: MB229.5 + VW502.00 + ACEA A3/B4 = Solution.
Would anyone have a list of oils available on Amazon or Walmart which meets those 3 specs for 5W-30 grade.
I'm new to the European speced oils - looking for them in the US is not that straight forward.
Forget grade. Grade is irrelevant. Castrol Edge 5W30 has KV100 of 12.2cst. At 12.5cst 40 grade starts. Mobil1 0W40 is 12.9cst. Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 is 13.1cst.
Grade is not important protection wise as HTHS.
I think you have 2.0TFSI engine. I would be more concerned with CBU on intake valves. Also, those engines like to dilute oils. Therefore, heavier, XW40 oils are much better option.

Last edited:
EdyVW is guiding you down the right path.
Stick around, don't let the frat house hazing chase you away.
Sometimes the peanut gallery here reminds me of this song:

Forget grade. Grade is irrelevant. Castrol Edge 5W30 has KV100 of 12.2cst. At 12.5cst 40 grade starts. Mobil1 0W40 is 12.9cst. Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 is 13.1cst.
Grade is not important protection wise as HTHS.
I think you have 2.0TFSI engine. I would be more concerned with CBU on intake valves. Also, those engines like to dilute oils. Therefore, heavier, XW40 oils are much better option.
Actual substantive information seems to be disregarded so far in this thread,

EdyVW is guiding you down the right path.
Stick around, don't let the frat house hazing chase you away.
Sometimes the peanut gallery here reminds me of this song
What "peanut gallery" advice has been given here so far, and what hazing?

I see technically based responses being ignored in favor of "flow" and Youtube videos, with a worry over grade for an oil that has an approval.

Hi. I have a 2006 Audi A3, which needs the Acea A3/B4 spec oil. Where I live, it gets to -5 degrees below zero in the Winter, and 90 degrees Farenheit in the summer in the north east US.

So cold flow is important. I watched some cold flow tests on youtube, where the oil is frozen for 24 hours at below 0 degrees Farenheit and then they test how well it flows. Unfortunately the Castrol Edge ACEA A3/B4 5W-30 in 5 quart jug from Walmart for $27 (which I was almost deciding on using)
was very slow flowing compared to the other oils.

I would rather go with A3/B4 rather than C3 due to A3/B4's higher phosphorus anti-wear additive.
I'd also rather stay with a 30 weight oil if possible for greater flow in cold weather.

Would anyone know if there is anything in the Acea A3/B4 spec regarding cold weather flow?

Also, which Acea A3/B4 oil would you recommend for below 0 degrees Farenheit winters?.

Thanks
Castrol Edge 0w40 from Wally World is more than adequate, and also a good oil.

Nothing prevents the cam follower from wearing out. It's just a poor design decision from Audi

Ravenol SSO SAE 0W-30.
I have been using this oil for some time and will do again. It is a 0W and has decent viscosity at working temperatures. The engine has been running smooth for years.

I meant the higher phosphorus in full saap A3/B4 oils. It was my understanding C3 set limits on some anti-wear additives because they were harming diesel exhaust system filters on newer vehicles. So it was my assumption (please correct me if I am wrong), that a full SAAP A3/B4 will have more anti-wear additives and theoretically the potential for less engine wear than a C3 in a gasoline engine. Would that potential for more engine wear with C3 versus A3/B4 be measurable (probably no).

C3 oils will use alternative ashless anti-wear additives that don't show up on your $25 UOA.

Buy an oil based on a required viscosity and approvals. Unless you want to look at boutique brand like HPL, Redline, Amsoil etc.

My choice? M1 FS 0w40 or Castrol Edge 0w40.

C3 oils will use alternative ashless anti-wear additives that don't show up on your $25 UOA.

Buy an oil based on a required viscosity and approvals. Unless you want to look at boutique brand like HPL, Redline, Amsoil etc.

My choice? M1 FS 0w40 or Castrol Edge 0w40.
I would not use M1 0W40 in EA113. M1 has huge SAPS % and EA113 likes to pollute intake valves.
Castrol is better choice.

Back