ACDelco PF48 Oil Filter Redesign (E-core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search on this board and didn't find anything pertaining to this.

I recently read this article in the July/August 2014 issue of ACDelco TechConnect. Here is the source: http://acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/newsle...-Newsletter.pdf

"ACDelco oil filters PF48 (GM part number 89017524) and the Durapack version, PF48F (GM part number 19167894) are transitioning to a new design that offers improved performance. The new part numbers are:pF48E (GM part number 19303975) and PF48F (GM part number 19303974). This will be a rolling change and the old version will not be available once stock is depleted. The redesigned PF48E filter performance improvement relates to the relief valve design. The PF48E has a compression spring loaded nylon poppet that outperforms the current valve design. In addition, the collapse strength of the filer has been increased by 25 percent due to the perfectly round nylon core. The filter media also is no longer potted in adhesive, which blocked filtration area."

I did a search for PF48E and found this discussion: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/160719-pf48pf48e-redesign/

Looks like the PF63 will be replaced with an E-core version also. I'm not here to debate E-cores vs. classic ACDelco filters. I just wanted to give people a heads up if they prefer the classic construction they may want to stock up.

"Compression spring loaded nylon poppet valve" isnt that a Fram thing? I did have a AC Delco branded Fram come into work last week.

I no longer use AC Delco filters, even though GM pays for my oil changes. That should prevent any chance of those filters making it onto my car. I am running an Amsoil filter now and may run the Fram Ultra filter in the future. You can't go wrong with either brand. Chances are they are both made by the same company anyway!

Originally Posted By: dave123
No thanks I will just stick with a RP 10-48

Aren't the Royal Purple Oil Filters and the Amsoil filters pretty much identical? Fram Ultra seems to be the best for what they cost.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: dave123
No thanks I will just stick with a RP 10-48

Aren't the Royal Purple Oil Filters and the Amsoil filters pretty much identical? Fram Ultra seems to be the best for what they cost.

11.99 shippped sitting on my front door step thats pretty cheap.

"Poppet" sounds like nitrile combo valve design not used in this application. Rather a standard separate coil spring dome end bypass is used. And Champ, who makes ACD, did use a nylon blue button dome end bypass with leaf spring design very similar to Fram in it's non ecore applications. The rest of the ACD-e looks unchanged from previous ecore.

If true, at least getting rid of the chintzy combo valve design is an upgrade imo.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
"Poppet" sounds like nitrile combo valve design not used in this application. Rather a standard separate coil spring dome end bypass is used. And Champ, who makes ACD, did use a nylon blue button dome end bypass with leaf spring design very similar to Fram in it's non ecore applications. The rest of the ACD-e looks unchanged from previous ecore.

If true, at least getting rid of the chintzy combo valve design is an upgrade imo.

Agreed... sounds like this is an Ecore design with the FRAM (and non-Ecore Champ) bypass valve. Sounds like an improvement... I never understood how a nitrile combo valve could operate consistently across temperature ranges and as the filter ages.

Just took my local AA's last 3 non-ecore PF46 until we know more.

I must be the only one using them, same 3 been on the shelf for over a year.

'04 Tahoe 5.3L 54K miles
PYB every 3K

Originally Posted By: jim302
Originally Posted By: sayjac

Agreed... sounds like this is an Ecore design with the FRAM (and non-Ecore Champ) bypass valve. Sounds like an improvement... I never understood how a nitrile combo valve could operate consistently across temperature ranges and as the filter ages.

Agreed about the combo valve operating consistently across all temperature ranges over the complete fci.

However as mentioned and shown in the pic, Champ had their own dome blue button nylon bypass design long before going under the UCI-Fram banner.

ST7317004.jpg

That bypass valve design looks a lot like the Fram design, except for the color of the nylon.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I no longer use AC Delco filters, even though GM pays for my oil changes. That should prevent any chance of those filters making it onto my car. I am running an Amsoil filter now and may run the Fram Ultra filter in the future. You can't go wrong with either brand. Chances are they are both made by the same company anyway!

I used to have a BUICK Lesabre with only 40K miles, it was a 98. My Grandpa left it to me when he passed away.. It had the 3800 Series II V6

Now when I changed the oil and put a Pureone b/c the part store sold was pureone and Regula FRAM and A/C DELCO and Motorcraft.. However my Point.. When I put Pureone my OIL PRESSURE Gauge would be very low.. nearly the RED at IDLE or in gear at a red light... However when I put AC Delco PF47 or 47E the gauge stayed perfect in the MIDDLE.

even 1 time I put the FRAM Xtended Gaurd on it and the Oil Pressure Gauge was perfect in the middle.

Well next oil change I put a Pureone again on and this was when the were blue and the OIL Pressure gauge again was super LOW....

Why do you all think the reason was for that?

I think the AC PF47 and 47E had better FLOW.... and the Pureone was more restrictive...

However the FRAM XG was perfect in the middle.

Can anyone elaberate?

I thought the oil pressure gauge was broke, or the Oil pump / oil sending unit was bad..
however it such low miles and was garage kept....

What do you the xperts think?

Dealer told me to use A/C Delco and it would be fine.

however Im wondering what you all here think.

Reason I ask this, perhaps GM wants MAX FLOW RATE... thats why they are going E CORE.

Also look at cartrige filters... they looks very simular to E CORE

i always said that the pureone was too restrictive. It filtered ok but the flow suffered i used to always use the classics until their quality went south.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i always said that the pureone was too restrictive. It filtered ok but the flow suffered i used to always use the classics until their quality went south.

Sorta like NAPA PLAT, the same model number in NAPA GOLD would do 3 GPM more oil flow then the PLAT... Now some cars would probably stress the oil pump.. ** NOT SURE IF THAT POSSIBLE*
Or the oil pressure would just be lower... However Im ALL FOR FLOW.. ID rather have more FLOW the filtration....... or at good mix of the 2.

Im not a big fan of Pure1 or Napa Plat.

This has been linked to dozens of times, and clearly shows that PureOnes are not restrictive. I mean how could you even conclude they were "restrictive" without a real test with instrumentation like this one that Purolator did with special equipment?

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P Data

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This has been linked to dozens of times, and clearly shows that PureOnes are not restrictive. I mean how could you even conclude they were "restrictive" without a real test with instrumentation like this one that Purolator did with special equipment?

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P Data

It seems like it would make sense that the better the filtering efficiency, the more restrictive the filter will be to oil flow; however, according to data presented on BITOG, this apparently is not the case. I used to wonder about the P1 oil filter possibly being restrictive, but then I dismissed this concern in the past after reading the information in the thread that has been referenced to in the quote above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back