AC Delco E-Core filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stash of AC Delco PF48 oil filters for my Silverado, but it appears that AC Delco has switched virtually every oil filter to the [censored] E-core design. The PF48 was replaced by the PF48E.

After my stash runs out I plan to use Purolator L12222, they can be had to $3.30 at the local Walmart in my area.

I WAS using the PF48 on my Chrysler. They were affordable and had a good build quality, especially for the price. Went to buy more recently and they all were PF48e filters. Bummer. I won't be running a Purolator L12222 and instead will be using a Fram Tough Guard from here on out.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I have a stash of AC Delco PF48 oil filters for my Silverado, but it appears that AC Delco has switched virtually every oil filter to the [censored] E-core design. The PF48 was replaced by the PF48E.

After my stash runs out I plan to use Purolator L12222, they can be had to $3.30 at the local Walmart in my area.

I would avoid Purolator until they get their act together, too many media failures to call them reliable.

I agree on upgrading to a tough guard or Wix.

FYI you can still buy ac delco non e core at some stores and online. Try Rockauto and buy in bulk to save help with shipping.

What sort of problems have you had with the E-Core design? I have used them for several years on both GM and Toyota vehicles as(engine oil filters- remote transmission filters - power steering fluid remote filters) and when I have cut them open they did not appear to have any design defects. Have you had noisy startups or other problems?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I would avoid Purolator until they get their act together, too many media failures to call them reliable.

I agree on upgrading to a tough guard or Wix.

FYI you can still buy ac delco non e core at some stores and online. Try Rockauto and buy in bulk to save help with shipping.

I was not aware that Purolator was having problems with their oil filters.

Originally Posted By: xtell
What sort of problems have you had with the E-Core design? I have used them for several years on both GM and Toyota vehicles as(engine oil filters- remote transmission filters - power steering fluid remote filters) and when I have cut them open they did not appear to have any design defects. Have you had noisy startups or other problems?

Just that a lot of people slam the E-core design on BITOG. I have never used an E-core filter.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
There are a few on RockAuto...

Amazon too...

PF63 is one inch longer, same specs...

Excellent idea the PF63 is a really robust filter if you have the extra length without hitting something in the engine bay.

I would use ecores before I would ever touch a purolator filter. Ecores get a bad rap from some issue years ago. AC delco seems to think they are fine. If you don't like the ecores there are plenty of decent brands. Purolator is the bottom of the barrel.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
I would use ecores before I would ever touch a purolator filter. Ecores get a bad rap from some issue years ago. AC delco seems to think they are fine. If you don't like the ecores there are plenty of decent brands. Purolator is the bottom of the barrel.

Even the PureOne and the Purolator Synthetic oil filters?

I would figure Fram Extra Guard is bottom of the barrel.

Last edited:

The tears have been primarily the Classics (as well as Purolator made filters from other brands) and some PureONE. The synthetics are wire backed and AFAIK haven't had tear issues.

While the OCOD (Fram Extra Guard) doesn't win any beauty awards internally, they haven't shown a propensity for their media tearing. That puts them a step up on the Purolator Classic in my book. I'd put a Wix made filter above either when it comes to classic cellulose media.

Though when you factor in the 15k miles you can get out of a Fram Ultra Synthetic (or other synthetic filters), the actual price per mile on these filters is pretty cheap.

The Purolator Synthetic filters are decent, but there are other options for a better price, such as the FRAM Ultra.

There has been one documented issue with the L12222 filter. If you insist on using Puros, look for newer stock. The issue may or may not have been addressed. The only way to find out is to use one for an OCI, then cut it open to inspect.

I have a question regarding Chevy Silverado owners who use the PF48 (or PF63) filters:

How much room is there on your engines for a larger filter?

I ask because of the threads being 22 x 1.5mm, which are the same threads as the Motorcraft FL500s and FL820s.

The PF63 and FL500s are cross references anyway, however, I just wondered if there was room on Chevy trucks for the FL820s size filters?

If there isn't enough room for the FL820s filter size, then I would say just use the PF63. But, if there is room for the larger filter, why not use one?

~ Triton

I've ran and cut open lots of ecore never had an issue. I used to use the super tech ones in below zero weather and they were fine. But like people have said if you don't want to run them there are lots of alternatives. Just not "tearolator" as they have became known

I typically like ACDelco parts on our GM vehicles but use traditional-core PF63 or M1-212 on '07+ LS trucks.

The likelihood of interference from 'oversized' filters is minimal in most truck chassis.

Hellwigfront1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
I have a question regarding Chevy Silverado owners who use the PF48 (or PF63) filters:

How much room is there on your engines for a larger filter?

I ask because of the threads being 22 x 1.5mm, which are the same threads as the Motorcraft FL500s and FL820s.

The PF63 and FL500s are cross references anyway, however, I just wondered if there was room on Chevy trucks for the FL820s size filters?

If there isn't enough room for the FL820s filter size, then I would say just use the PF63. But, if there is room for the larger filter, why not use one?

~ Triton

Nevermind. I found the answer.

7bd34e54a1.jpg

Obviously now I realize the FL820s would not fit.

I would say, though, that it would seem like a good idea to use the PF63 (or other filters of its size) over the PF48.

~ Triton

If some of you want to run purolator synthetics and support a company which is knowingly flooding the market with inferior filters that is your choice. If they don't care about their pure 1 or classics what makes you think they care about their synthetics. I wouldn't trust them not to cheapen up the synthetic line in the future. Next to no name imported and other counterfeit filters purolator is a name I don't trust and they will never see my dollars. I prefer Wix or NAPA, but I have run some ecores since the Super-tech days. Never had a problem with them.

A/C still makes the old style a/c delco filter and the quality is even better than before. Very nice filter i use them on my gm vehicles ever since i stopped using purolater because of their quality issues.
Wix makes great filters and the fram ultra also seems to be a nice filter so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back