ACDelco PF48 Oil Filter Redesign (E-core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slybunda
Does an oversized filter offer more flow rate?

Yes, that is one slight advantage of using an over-sized filter. As the media area goes up, the delta-p will go down if the media and flow rate stays the same.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i always said that the pureone was too restrictive. It filtered ok but the flow suffered i used to always use the classics until their quality went south.

This has been linked to dozens of times, and clearly shows that PureOnes are not restrictive. I mean how could you even conclude they were "restrictive" without a real test with instrumentation like this one that Purolator did with special equipment?

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P Data

This one has been linked at least as many times: Pure One restriction While everyone can acknowledge the data from the the ZeeOSix link, Purolator themselves make the assertion that Pure one is overly restrictive in the second link. Surely this contributes to the perception that P1 is overly restrictive. Just sayin...
wink.gif

As far as AC Delco changing the construction of the PF48 goes, this hurts my heart just a little. The PF48 has treated me well over the years, and didn't really seem like it needed to be "improved".

My local Chevy dealer has a ton of the PF63 oil filters left (non-ecore) design and is willing to sell me them CHEAP! I told them to put a pack aside for me. The AC Delco non e-core filters are extremely good filters and for the price, you can't beat em.

Just changed the oil in my boat and the ACDelco PF454 I got is an E-core as well. Very disappointed, to say the least. I installed it anyway. Last time.

Wouldn't the new e-core filters offer better flow now that the internal center area is more open to allow oil to flow through? Looks like they are trying to get rid of any flow restriction for higher mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Wouldn't the new e-core filters offer better flow now that the internal center area is more open to allow oil to flow through? Looks like they are trying to get rid of any flow restriction for higher mile intervals.

I doubt any center core in the 'old metal design' contributed hardly any flow resistance. The base inlet holes and the center core holes are the least of the resistance, it's mostly in the media.

It would be nice to see the PF48/PF63 vs. the PF48F/PF63F internals by seeing them cut open side by side. Are there any pics around of the side by side comparison? I can't seem to find any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back