According to PODS Top most popular Cities to move to in 2024

Pretty cool but no surprise to us as previously reported our new home is in one of the top growing counties in the USA.
Good read Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington NC take top spots in the USA for MOVE IN locations.
The amount of building in NC is mind boggling and wow, there is a lot of open land to develop, more then a couple lifetimes worth.

My kids live and/or work in the top ten as well and we all abandoned my home life long (from birth) home location 16 years ago, currently ranked the top 4 MOVE OUT locations in the USA - Long Island, NY

Last edited:
Things were better before everyone started moving here.
That's usually the case. People move to areas where they feel safer and where like-minded people are. I'm leaving New York as soon as I can....I despise going into NYC (where I grew up) because the streets are dirty and full of homeless and crime is rampant and seemingly goes unpunished.

I read that California is trying to put a tax on those people selling their homes to move out...I'm sure NY will try to follow suit.

That's usually the case. People move to areas where they feel safer and where like-minded people are. I'm leaving New York as soon as I can....I despise going into NYC (where I grew up) because the streets are dirty and full of homeless and crime is rampant and seemingly goes unpunished.

I read that California is trying to put a tax on those people selling their homes to move out...I'm sure NY will try to follow suit.
Yeah, if I remember correctly New York will aggressively audit the wealthy should they want to move. A decade ago they started offering free State College Tuition if the student signed a contract not to leave the state for at least 5 years after they graduate.

Funny because I posted hours before this thread my elder brother sold his house and is moving to South Carolina. Near Charleston.

California has been going downhill for a number of years. Taxes are high, and moving higher. Crime is out of control. Homeless by the tens of thousands, fueled in large part by drug addiction, and a government that is completely hands-off. The weather is amazing, though. For me, my house is paid off, the shanty that it is, so I can afford to stay, but it's just so frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool but no surprise to us as previously reported our new home is in one of the top growing counties in the USA.
Good read Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington NC take top spots in the USA for MOVE IN locations.
The amount of building in NC is mind boggling and wow, there is a lot of open land to develop, more then a couple lifetimes worth.

My kids live and/or work in the top ten as well and we all abandoned my home life long (from birth) home location 16 years ago, currently ranked the top 4 MOVE OUT locations in the USA - Long Island, NY

Asheville and Raleigh became crowed some time ago. Ocala is still very nice but maybe not after this article. Charlotte is getting there.

Wilmington here. We're full.

1717599034736.jpg

ImgFlip

Last edited:
You know things aren't what they used to be, when someone living in your state asks you where you are from because of your accent, despite being born and living here for 40 years.

I always enjoyed talking to people in different states when I travelled because of the unique accents.

Last edited:
I live in Raleigh. My son lives in Wilmington. Why is that everyone wants to live here but then complains “back in” (fill in the city) “we did it this way”? The road goes both ways. Apparently “back in” (fill in the city) was bad enough to move away so shut up and adapt or go back to (fill in the city).

I live in Raleigh. My son lives in Wilmington. Why is that everyone wants to live here but then complains “back in” (fill in the city) “we did it this way”? The road goes both ways. Apparently “back in” (fill in the city) was bad enough to move away so shut up and adapt or go back to (fill in the city).
...and beyond (y)

Funny because I posted hours before this thread my elder brother sold his house and is moving to South Carolina. Near Charleston.
I have a nephew (young family), his wife and children leaving LI almost as we speak, already bought in the N Myrtle area

It's amazing, I do understand how we dont want more crowds though, but we came here for the same reasons.

I was in SC looking around the Five Forks area and there’s a very high probability I will be living there 2 years from now.

100% for sure I am out of Florida.

I have a nephew, his wife and children leaving LI almost as we speak, already bought in the N Myrtle area

It's amazing, I do understand how we dont want more crowds though, but we came here for the same reasons.
You can't stop people from moving. But it will have the same net affect.

People sell there over-priced home in Long Island and buy in Myrtle Beach. They push the price of everything up. There is no real industry in Myrtle Beach, a lot of nothing, WFH, whatever. Pretty soon it will be too expensive for the locals to stay, so they will sell there now over-priced home and move along. That will leave a bifocated society of the very poor and fairly well off. So crime will rise and the like, and there will be calls for better schools / cheaper housing / more programs. Taxes will go up. You will end up with the same mess as you have in LA, NY, Atlanta, and now soon to be Charlotte and Myrtle Beach - large groups of haves and have nots with not much in between.

I lived on Hilton Head for a short stint. Pretty much the story there. Why I left.

Can't change it. Its well on its way here too. Trying to decide if I either upgrade to the high rent district myself and pretend it doesn't exist, or shove off and find somewhere else?

@SC Maintenance
I agree with a lot of your post and as you said you have been through that cycle. Prices on Long Island are insane and you are correct they come down here with boatloads of cash. I see it everyday in my community, they cant build them fast enough/get the roads in too.
Another thing I see is they drive up the cost of services *LOL* OMG these after market contractors, landscapes, patios, garage floor expoxy, shelving, car dealers, EVERYTHING. These people are so busy, they name the price in an estimate, the homeowner says ok and they pay. Name your price and they pay.

Keeping in mind I agree with what you are saying that happened in your area. I think it MAY be a bit different here as the MB area has always been a vacation/resort/retirement area, much like Florida and the money coming in is mostly older either retires or affluent. Meaning there is no industry like Florida the economy is based on the influx of wealth and all the services that wealth provides.

Another way to put it, there is no existing population here. Along the coast north of the SC border. The money coming in is actually the driving force creating the economy. Towns growing so fast, as an example, one new community not far from me but different town, the population moving into the community is going to be greater than the existing population along with the wealth brought in for services.

Just my thoughts. I think the MB area is so far off the beaten path there will never be industry here and that is why none exist, it takes 1.5 hours just to get up to the interstate 95 where the area towards Charleston has both I95 and I26 two major hubs.
It's different in the downstate of SC proper. Keep in mind I am talking the NC border to Wilmington. Gosh hundreds of miles of nothing but open land to be developed and since no existing industry that development should remain whatever the transplants bring here.

Back