Accent GDI intake ports and valves at 230k

Does doing an intake induction service every 10k actually work? I think the photos speak for themselves! 😎
IMG_20240326_182726229_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240326_182706365_HDR.jpg

I've seen much worse on other GDI engines with only 60k. I use full saps oil too which is supposed to make the problem worse. It's been about 5k since the last treatment with mostly cold starts and short trips.

Full SAPS might impact LSPI but I don't know that it's known to affect intake valve deposits. That would seem more related to evaporative losses.

Either way,,, what are you doing for your routine intake cleaning? It definitely seems to be paying off.

Full SAPS might impact LSPI but I don't know that it's known to affect intake valve deposits. That would seem more related to evaporative losses.

Either way,,, what are you doing for your routine intake cleaning? It definitely seems to be paying off.
I've used everything from seafoam to pro grade BG products. All of it works, some of it works better, the last two services I used Lucas deep clean GDI cause it was on sale. The CRC and BG intake valve cleaners are probably the most effective and what id recommended to someone trying to remove the largest amount of deposits on a higher mileage engine.

My son's 2014 Kia Rio is around 155K now. Still runs fine, but burns oil. Tried everything and nothing works to stop it. I must have carbon scoring on cylinder walls (most likely.) I have never done an intake cleaning on this car. Probably won't at this point.

You say you have done this every 10K? Since new? Does this car burn oil?

Last edited:
I've used everything from seafoam to pro grade BG products. All of it works, some of it works better, the last two services I used Lucas deep clean GDI cause it was on sale. The CRC and BG intake valve cleaners are probably the most effective and what id recommended to someone trying to remove the largest amount of deposits on a higher mileage engine.
What’s the oil consumption like?

I have religiously used BG and CRC intake valve cleaner every spring. I hope my GDI looks like that.

Some GDI (without port injection) handle carbon buildup better than others, regardless of manufacturer. This all seems to come down to how well the crankcase ventilation and egr system functions.
Nice to see some preventative maintenance using retail induction cleaning products in a can may be working.

The MOST effective is walnut blasting.

My son's 2014 Kia Rio is around 155K now. Still runs fine, but burns oil. Tried everything and nothing works to stop it. I must have carbon scoring on cylinder walls (most likely.) I have never done an intake cleaning on this car. Probably won't at this point.

You say you have done this every 10K? Since new? Does this car burn oil?
Our 2013 juke Turbo GDI never had any cleaning done in 180k miles, burns about 1 quart every 2k miles. Fine with me. I've read induction cleaning on a turbo motor is a risk and I'd rather not break something trying to fix a non existent problem.

When you consider the average amount of time a person keeps a car, it's not really as big of an issue as many think. 12k/year x 5 years - 60k miles. There will be buildup but not enough to alter performance in most instances is my guess.

Reactions: 4WD
Does doing an intake induction service every 10k actually work? I think the photos speak for themselves! 😎
View attachment 210519View attachment 210520

I've seen much worse on other GDI engines with only 60k. I use full saps oil too which is supposed to make the problem worse. It's been about 5k since the last treatment with mostly cold starts and short trips.
That looks like a BMW N55 at over 100k miles.

Here's a BMW N55 at 81k

Our 2013 juke Turbo GDI never had any cleaning done in 180k miles, burns about 1 quart every 2k miles. Fine with me. I've read induction cleaning on a turbo motor is a risk and I'd rather not break something trying to fix a non existent problem.
Yeah I wouldn't do it on a turbocharged engine, if it ever developed problems with carbon buildup walnut blasting would be the way to go.

Back