AC Delco Poor Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please list all the bad things about AC Delco filters. My OCI is comming real soon and I need to know whether I should switch to NAPA Gold, M1 EP or stay with AC Delco?
gr_stretch.gif

There is the Yogi Bear effect. Remember Yogi is smarter than the average bear and can't run the same OEM filter the average bear would.

The AC is cheaper than WIX and M1 EP, therefore can't be as good.

I, for one, see no nead to "sell" you (or anyone else) on or against AC filters' design and manufacturing quality. Since the very nature of your post indicates you're entertaining questions (aka, "doubts") about their quality, you're already a candidate to move to alternate technology for your own peace of mind. (even though GM harbors no such angst...) Two FACTS which may or may not be germain to your decision are that, 1), AC filters available to the aftermarket are made by Champion Labs - the same company which manufactures SuperTech, Valuecraft, American Bosch, K&N, and Mobil 1 oil filters among others; 2), depending on your specific application, it'll be an e-core design.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Since the very nature of your post indicates you're entertaining questions (aka, "doubts") about their quality, you're already a candidate to move to alternate technology for your own peace of mind.

Actually I wish someone would just tell me that AC Delco's are good filters so I don't have to worry about them. The AC Delco's I've been using so far seem to be doing just fine.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Since the very nature of your post indicates you're entertaining questions (aka, "doubts") about their quality, you're already a candidate to move to alternate technology for your own peace of mind.

Actually I wish someone would just tell me that AC Delco's are good filters so I don't have to worry about them. The AC Delco's I've been using so far seem to be doing just fine.
dunno.gif

Clyde 65, you just told yourself. Quit worrying!

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:
Please list all the bad things about AC Delco filters. My OCI is comming real soon and I need to know whether I should switch to NAPA Gold, M1 EP or stay with AC Delco?
gr_stretch.gif

My vote is for Napa Golds ... unless you have a GM with a vertical filter mount - that requires no ADBV - like my PF-61 on my Colorado P/U. Then I would stick to the AC's. No reason to have a part inside a filter that can go faulty. So if it doesn't have an ADBV, that's a good thing with that vertical system.

I have a large oil channel that sits on top of my PF-61. When I dismount the old filter that's full of oil to the brim, it seems like another 8 ounces or-so comes out from the engine. Makes a mess.... so now I drill a hole on the bottom of the filter before dismounting. Contains the mess - right into the oil pan-catcher I have.

Best source for Napa's are the sponsors right here (fleetfilter.com).

Clarify : not all are AC Delco E-Core

Recon from recent AutoZone, PepJocks, WallyWorld trips.

Observations: Management amused & confused by my curiousity, masses keen on Agent Orange Fram.

AC Delco "BlueLabel' :
Bosch 'North American':
K&N Gold :
Purolator Premium Plus:
Purolator PureOne:
Ford Motorcraft:

All of the above were observed to have Metal Inner cases.

Only exception was SUPERTECH from Walmart, all stock was new and no old design metal inner tubed units were found.

Picked up an ST 3950 today, old box, metal center tube, clicker, just like they have been for about the last year. Oil filter section a mess. Autolites and Motorcrafts mixed in with Frams, a couple of shelves of ST in the middle of the wall of doom.

I noticed several other ST products with the big red hexagon. Must be new overall look.

Yeah, Clyde...there's absolutely nothing wrong with AC Delco filters...especially for use on a GM product. Stop being a Nervous Nellie...
wink.gif

In case you're thinking of asking: Yes, I do actually use them myself...

I would say the worst thing about them is that they are not made by ACdelco ( delphi ) anymore. It appears from what I have been reading is that champ makes them. So why not go with a supertech filter instead, made by the same company in the same factory. Plus, champ has me sold on the hype of their e-core design.

I just bought two ACdelco filters of e-bay, so these things better not be cheap ****
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
I would say the worst thing about them is that they are not made by ACdelco ( delphi ) anymore. It appears from what I have been reading is that champ makes them. So why not go with a supertech filter instead, made by the same company in the same factory. Plus, champ has me sold on the hype of their e-core design.

I just bought two ACdelco filters of e-bay, so these things better not be cheap ****
wink.gif

Does anyone know why **** is a censored word?
confused.gif

quote:

quote:

wink.gif

Does anyone know why **** is a censored word?
confused.gif

Is there a list of banned words somewhere? I'm not trying to use the s word, but it rhymes with rap.

AC Delco still manufacture filters. You can even find them in the marketplace. Especially for GM engines.

But they don't make enough for demand so they have , primarily, Champion Labs as a back up source.

quote:

I would say the worst thing about them is that they are not made by ACdelco ( delphi ) anymore. It appears from what I have been reading is that champ makes them. So why not go with a supertech filter instead, made by the same company in the same factory. snip....

Do you know for a fact Delphi are no longer suppling any AC filters? One more time, Made by does not mean the same as. Do you really think ST, STP, AC, Bosch, M1, Warner, and who knows what else, are all identical? The ST 3950's I have cut open have 2/3 of the media as the PF 1177's. If I could still buy PF 1177's, I would be quite willing to pay a little more for them than an ST.

Champ has switched most of the more popular numbers to Ecore. An easy, sure way to tell a Champ Ecore, is to look inside for a black plastic cage instead of a metal tube. Just because an AC and an ST are both Ecores, doesn't mean they are the same.

Chances are, a $2 ST is fine, but I think you can count on an AC being a good filter, Champ or Delphi.

quote:

Is there a list of banned words somewhere? I'm not trying to use the s word, but it rhymes with rap.

Yes, here is the list:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:

quote:

Yes, here is the list:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

****, that's alot of words.
lol.gif

I had to bring my AC Delco PF13 back to AA the other day. Made the mistake of not examining it in the store. It was an ecore and I am still not sold on that design. Went with a NAPA Gold.

Sorry Delco... I had been loyal and faithfull for may years but you let me down
frown.gif

Well one of my buddies has updated me on AC Delco. Not being a GM car owner since I had a 64 Malibu..

AC Delco has closed their filter plant and use Champion Laboratories as their primary supplier for filters.

So know we all know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back