AC Delco PF63 now replaces PF63E?

I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2015 V6 GMC Terrain. From the factory it came with a PF48 filter, which they apparently use at the factory to ease assembly line production, however GMC states that this vehicle requires the PF63E filter. There is a PF63 filter but it was recommended not to use it because of the different bypass valve pressure than the PF63E. Fast forward to 2021, I went to the store and found that they are now only selling the PF63 which is in a different box. I checked around and it seems that the PF63 has in fact replaced the PF63E now. Can anyone confirm this?

This site says it does replace the PF63E.

The "E" means (or used to mean) an Ecore filter, & the PF63 was a "classic" design-metal center tube & end caps. Looks like all the PF63s are Ecore now, and they have the higher bypass pressure rating needed for the newer LS & V6 engines. The Ecore won't hurt it, but I like the UPF filters better, they have a much stronger can than the Ecores do. Edit-technically, the new PF63 IS a PF63E.

Last edited:
I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2015 V6 GMC Terrain. From the factory it came with a PF48 filter, which they apparently use at the factory to ease assembly line production, however GMC states that this vehicle requires the PF63E filter. There is a PF63 filter but it was recommended not to use it because of the different bypass valve pressure than the PF63E. Fast forward to 2021, I went to the store and found that they are now only selling the PF63 which is in a different box. I checked around and it seems that the PF63 has in fact replaced the PF63E now. Can anyone confirm this?

This site says it does replace the PF63E.
According to this link it does look like PF63 #12707246 is the replacement for the older PF63E version.
https://gmserviceinsights.com/new-acdelco-oil-filters-deliver-enhanced-performance/

Back