AC Delco Oil Filters - Different Levels/Types

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on here in the past that there are different types of AC Delco filters, such as Duraguard, Ultraguard, etc. Would someone be able to tell me the difference construction wise on these filters? I'm assuming some are e-core and some are built like a tank.

I just received 3 Ultragards in UPF 52 size for my 95 Corvette. These have the synthetic media and have exceptional dirt trapping ability at and below 10 microns. I believe it is greater than 99%, where garden variety AC Delco is somehwere around 80% at this particle size. The Ultragards are only available in 2 filter sizes, I think the other size available is UPF 46. Since it is usually a once per year OCI (about 3 to 4 K miles) with this vehicle, price is not a factor in filter selection.

The ecore design is usually followed by an "e" at the end of the model number, but not always. The old "classic" (built like a tank) design is found hear and there, but the "CL" after the model number guarantee's that it's a classic.

^^^ AFAIK, these are the only three AC Delco levels. ^^^

I shop for the Classic when I use this brand--not Ecores. The Ultraguards do not fit my application or I might use those. The Classics are available in a lot of part numbers for different engines.

A little while back I had called a bunch of GM Dealers and asked if they carried the classic design and all of them told me that GM has gone over to the E-core design and that is all that was available. Oh course they throw in the "the E-cores are better than the originals" speech to me as well. I also asked if they carried any Ultraguard oil filters and all of them told me they are no longer made. As far as I know the only places you can find them are online or if you're lucky some back stock that are left on some shelves somewhere.

Not sure where filtering at 10 mircons comes from. All the ones i've ever read up on say they fiter between 25 - 30 microns.

Dealers don't have anything to choose from and don't like to order in.

I get Classics on Amazon Auto Parts and I don't think they are disconinued. I saw them pretty recently advertised on the official AC Delco website

I believe what you're saying but for me I also e-mailed AC Delco (Canada) and they too told me that Ultraguard oil filters were discontinued and that they no longer manufacture the classic design. Just like the dealers I talked too they basically tried to sell me on their "superior" E-core designed oil filters. I wish I had saved the e-mail so I could have posted it. I even contacted gmpartsdirect.com and was again told the exact same thing.

I just went on the AC Delco (American) website and entered the classic oil filter part number and nothing came up. I then cross referenced the Wix part number 51040 for the PF47 and it came back with 2 results.

FILTER ASM,OIL PF47 (CLASSIC)
Part Number: PF47

FILTER PKG,OIL
Part Number: PF47F

So I guess they do carry them, just not where I live I guess. The cross reference results didn't even display the PF47E E-core designed filter. Strange.

Well I guess they must have dropped them since I was last at the website a couple--maybe three months or so ago? I think they are still in stock at a lot of places for now. Better stock up if you really like them.
Personally I usually prefer Wix or NAPA for the money, or Purolator too...but the AC-Delco Classic is/or was a decent filter and I used them.

I'm glad you posted so we have a heads up these are probably on the way out. I might have to order a couple for old times sake.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Are the e-cores necessarily bad?

Only when the pleats can fold over and blow through the wide open center cage.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

shocked.gif

and when the "endcaps" aren't glued/bonded successfully to the media...

Originally Posted By: kemo
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

shocked.gif

and when the "endcaps" aren't glued/bonded successfully to the media...

Or when the combination "ADBV/bypass valve" doesn't work right (could be related to media blow-outs).

I've never understood how the black nitrile rubber ADBV on the E-Core also acts as a bypass valve? Looks like a regular old ADBV to me. I was on the understanding that filters that didn't have a bypass valve was due to the particular vehicle it's used for has one built into the engine block itself? I know my car does which is why I assumed that the K&N, M1, Wix, Napa, AC Delco etc never have bypass valves built into them for my particular vehicle.

I forgot to mention, I know the ADBV in the E-core designs is patent pending. If it is in fact a ADBV/bypass valve combination maybe that's why?

The nitrile ring of the ADBV covers to sets of holes in the baseplate.

The thinner outer part of the ADBV ring covers the inlet oil holes and keeps the oil from draining back out of the filter--the ADBV part. The inner area of the ring covers another set of holes in the baseplate. These holes lead directly to the filter center tube area. If the oil pressure across the filtering media becomes too great, the whole ADBV ring gets pushed out of the way enough to uncover the inner holes, allowing oil to go from the inlet holes to the filter center tube area, and out of the filter without passing through the filtering media.

Of course, their filters intended for engines with internal bypass valves do not have these features, but it's hard to see it anyway because the proper baseplate with the holes is covered with a piece of sheetmetal with only one set of holes. That is to make the top of the filter smoother and easier to install.

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for that.

Quick question, so would the silicone ADBV in say a Napa Gold that doesn't have a metal bypass valve in it act the same way as the rubber nitrile ADBV in an E-core?

Originally Posted By: Chris11

Quick question, so would the silicone ADBV in say a Napa Gold that doesn't have a metal bypass valve in it act the same way as the rubber nitrile ADBV in an E-core?

The ADBV in a NAPA Gold is going to work the same regardless if that filter has a bypass valve or not. It will work just as an ADBV, and will probably work well if silicone.

I don't like the combo ADBV/bypass valve in the ecore filters. As others have mentioned, it seems they wouldn't work very well as a bypass valve in cold weather when the rubber gets hard. That's when you need a bypass valve to work it's best ... when the oil is cold and thick. Ecore media blow-outs could be also related to their bypass valve not working well (along with the open center tube) and causing to much pressure across the media.

Chris11, like Zee0Six said, the ADBV will never act like a bypass unless it is designed as a dual purpose valve. There is an extra, inner ring of oil holes in the baseplate of the Ecore that works with the special combo ADBV-bypass valve.

Zee, you may be onto something there. I wonder why some of these showed blowouts in the pictures here. Pretty bad if some media paper gets out of the filter and into the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back