AC DELCO Oil Filter info

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's curious about the link information is the factory filter at least on some GM is the PF48. However on the filter it says, replace with PF63 right on the can. There is a thread by car51 showing this but unfortunately the pics are now gone on tinypic and thus bitog, though the thread is still here .

So I'd add if they get confused, part of it is because the vehicles come from the factory with one filter # but say to use the other, the PF63/(E).

And this information would be specific to ACDelco. The media on aftermarket filters would not be the same, thus the bypass spec wouldn't necessarily need to be the same. And if GM required the ACDelco PF63 only ie., no aftermarket, they would have to pay for it.

This is interesting and good information. I just did a search on the Fram web page and their replacement recommendation for the PF63/64 has a by-pass opening pressure of 9-12 PSI.

The replacement for the PF48/48E also has a by-pass pressure of 9-12 PSI.

Apparently either the aftermarket filters are NOT made to meet OEM specifications or there is a problem with the application guide from this aftermarket supplier.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
What's curious about the link information is the factory filter at least on some GM is the PF48. However on the filter it says, replace with PF63 right on the can. There is a thread by car51 showing this but unfortunately the pics are now gone on tinypic and thus bitog, though the thread is still here .

So I'd add if they get confused, part of it is because the vehicles come from the factory with one filter # but say to use the other, the PF63/(E).

And this information would be specific to ACDelco. The media on aftermarket filters would not be the same, thus the bypass spec wouldn't necessarily need to be the same. And if GM required the ACDelco PF63 only ie., no aftermarket, they would have to pay for it.

iirc, GMBoy (or someone else with inside knowledge) said the shorter PF48 is used during the assembly process because the longer PF63 is more likely to be damaged during engine installation.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The tight tolerances lost me immediately.

"Beginning in 2012" lost me shortly after. To quote Scarlett O'Hara.

"I'll think about that tomorrow" (Or I won't)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
....iirc, GMBoy (or someone else with inside knowledge) said the shorter PF48 is used during the assembly process because the longer PF63 is more likely to be damaged during engine installation.

That sounds reasonable, I don't doubt that. Thinking on it more though, if the bypass spec is so critical, why is it ok to run the PF48 as factory filter, but then run the PF63 later? That doesn't make sense to me.

And one other observation from the previous linked thread, the PF48 factory filter had no adbv, but the replacement ACDs all use one. That one no biggie really just interesting.

As for topic, I'm a little skeptical of the bypass spec reasoning and explanation.

Article said:
"Beginning in 2012, oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump output pressure, which means that the oil pump does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions."

Sounds like they went with a higher oil filter bypass valve setting so help prevent the filter from bypassing under extreme cold start conditions with this kind of oil pump pressure regulation system. If the oil pump pressure relief is controlled by some kind of pressure sensor feedback in the oil gallery deep inside the engine and far away from the oil pump, then the pump will send all the flow volume until the oil flow engulfs the oiling system and the pressure goes up and kicks in the pressure regulation system.

With very cold thick oil, the increased flow volume for a longer time will cause higher delta-p across the filter and could pop the filter bypass open, so a higher bypass valve setting helps prevent that from happening.

....iirc, GMBoy (or someone else with inside knowledge) said the shorter PF48 is used during the assembly process because the longer PF63 is more likely to be damaged during engine installation.

That sounds reasonable, I don't doubt that. Thinking on it more though, if the bypass spec is so critical, why is it ok to run the PF48 as factory filter, but then run the PF63 later? That doesn't make sense to me.

And one other observation from the previous linked thread, the PF48 factory filter had no adbv, but the replacement ACDs all use one. That one no biggie really just interesting.

As for topic, I'm a little skeptical of the bypass spec reasoning and explanation.

The factory filter isn't a PF 48, it's around the same size though.

That explains the sizing of the ff. It might lead one to wonder though about all the GMs currently running aftermarket filter equivalents for the PF63, including but not limited to the equivalent Fram 10575 application one of which would be the Ultra XG. They have a listed bypass spec of 9-15 psi, much closer to the PF48 listed in the link than the PF63. The equivalent Wix 57045 12-15psi. Personally I'd have no concerns about running them but apparently the aftermarkets have different bypass parameters.

And then there's a Jun 8, 2015 TSB '#PIP5276D: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel.' It recommends using UPF48R AC Delco Ultra in place of the PF48E ecore should the conditions of that tsb arise. That for 07-13 trucks, suvs and corvette with V8 engines which apparently do spec the PF48.

iirc, GMBoy (or someone else with inside knowledge) said the shorter PF48 is used during the assembly process because the longer PF63 is more likely to be damaged during engine installation.

That was me and is correct. I just came across this information and was a little perplexed. I will have to see who I can call and get a more clearer understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back