AC Delco Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
When AC Delco goes to the e-core design on the filters that I use (46 and 59), then I won't be using AC Delco's anymore.

I'll be buying NAPA ProSelects instead.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
When AC Delco goes to the e-core design on the filters that I use (46 and 59), then I won't be using AC Delco's anymore.

why?

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

why?

I am curious too, this isnt some cheaply made fram garbage. These felt endcaps actually hold.

Originally Posted By: labman
Likely I should pay more attention to UOA's. Doesn't wix have a good history with them?

You know that's a good question and I have never paid attention either. There are so many variable in a UOA as most dirt gets in through the air filter.
I have examimed, and thought about, hypothesized about, so many filters and I still like WIX.

OK, I had some time to kill out of town today. Yes, I went to a different Wal*Mart and looked at oil filters. @#$%^&*&^#$%^, no clearanced ST3950's.

Looked inside some. The ST 3593A's were the crummy old clicker bypass ones. Some of the other numbers did have the extra inlet holes and the plastic center core. However, they looked like they had a steel end cap in the dome end. Ecore with a steel endcap?????????

OK, I had some time to kill out of town today.

Doncha love that? I do. Wandering around a different town for a while.

However, they looked like they had a steel end cap in the dome end. Ecore with a steel endcap?????????

I think you're seeing center of the leaf spring.
It has a dome formed on it that plugs the oposite end of the center tube.

I've got a PF-52 in my S-10 now. And it is not an e-core design. It had a much better and different backplate. Suprisingly, my Walmart is out of the PF-52s, so I'll be switching back to Napa Gold.

Ya some of the '52s are Wix built.
I think they're turning these to the Champ Ecore style though. The new ecore ones are a very lightweight but still perfectly servicable filter.

Being a 100% GM owner, I have used AC Delco filters for years when I could get them easily and affordably. For years I would get them 2 for $5 at Kmart on sale. Then I would buy them a Meijer for $3.50 a piece. Then I would get them at Walmart for $3.50-$4 but noticed that the Supertech non-ecore for $2.84 and the AC Delco non-ecore looked like the identical filter. Now it looks like the AC Delcos are switching to the ecore design also. I went to my local Walmart and bought up all of the non-ecore ACDelco and STs I could find. The selection at Walmart seems to be shrinking for ACDelco.

Perhaps to the benefit of the next guy. I think Champ and Wal*Mart may be clearing out older, non Ecore stock. I certainly want nothing to do with the cheap dome end bypasses, although that isn't an issue with most AC numbers.

In the past, the PF 1177 had half again more media than the ST 3950, so I wouldn't be too sure any ST is a good as the equivilent Ac.

Found a PF 1127 on the shelf at at new place. It can a Fram like clicker bypass. Put it back on the shelf. 5 round inlet holes and the plate stamped with a ''Y''. Champ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back