AC Delco "Check Valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Search TSB: 10-06-01-003b

Some discussion here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2016594

I think this is the TSB they were referencing.

I'm sure the Fram Ultra exceeds "GM's filter performance specifications" (GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-003).

I searched for GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-003, but could not find it anywhere. Wanted to see what it said about oil filter specs required by GM. I'm sure they are mainly talking about ultra cheap oil filters out there on the market. Of course, it give them an excuse to play it up like every filter but OEM is a potential time bomb.
crazy.gif

Check this out ... this is probably where the service guy recalled seeing something about orange ADBVs coming apart blocking oil passages.

http://www.archivedsites.com/techconnect...oil-filter.html

Originally Posted By: Peted
.... but the service manager assured me the Fram orange ADBV is of garbage quality and falls apart. /s
29.gif

Even if one doesn't care for Fram for whatever reason, the Ultra is thier top tier filter. That aside, silicone adbv's as a rule are more reliable and durable than nitrile. And nitrile is what's used in the standard ACDelco, some of which are 'ecores'.
crazy.gif

Agree with Z06, I'd want to be there when they start the vehicle in the morning.

In this instance with this dealer, that goes along with the saying, 'Fool me once shame you, fool me twice shame on me.'

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Search TSB: 10-06-01-003b

Some discussion here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2016594

I think this is the TSB they were referencing.

I'm sure the Fram Ultra exceeds "GM's filter performance specifications" (GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-003).

I searched for GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-003, but could not find it anywhere. Wanted to see what it said about oil filter specs required by GM. I'm sure they are mainly talking about ultra cheap oil filters out there on the market. Of course, it give them an excuse to play it up like every filter but OEM is a potential time bomb.
crazy.gif

Check this out ... this is probably where the service guy recalled seeing something about orange ADBVs coming apart blocking oil passages.

http://www.archivedsites.com/techconnect...oil-filter.html

It's interesting about how the orange anti drainback valves come apart like that. I used a Wix (IIRC) with an orange gasket (the one that seals the filter to the engine) and it loosened up, allowing the filter to seep a little oil. When I put my filter wrench on the filter, I discovered it was only finger tight. I never had this problem with ACDelco or any filter with the black gasket, and yes I tighten them correctly, double check everything and have over 30 years experience working on cars. Since then, I use only Delco or Mopar filters.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I did read on some GM forums that according to some posters who worked or knew someone in the service department that GM pays Less what a customer will pay. I am not sure how much truth there is to that, but it is all I have.

Dealers do get reimbursed for warranty work at a lower rate than front door work.

Thank you for confirming this.

Quote:
It's interesting about how the orange anti drainback valves come apart like that....

I'm not willing to concede based on an anecdote, that silicone adbv's as a rule or even in general come apart more than nitrile adbv's. In fact, extended oci filters most often use silicone adbv's. And, it still doesn't correspond to the dealer's explanation of the Ultra not having an adbv. I'll still opine that if said Ultra could be examined (unless tampered with), it's adbv is intact.

Quote:
I used a Wix (IIRC) with an orange gasket (the one that seals the filter to the engine) and it loosened up, allowing the filter to seep a little oil. When I put my filter wrench on the filter, I discovered it was only finger tight....

I believe you are confusing a filter sealing gasket with an adbv here. Afaik, Wix/Napa Gold has never used a silicone sealing gasket, only nitrile. They do however use a silicone adbv, but that would have nothing to do with how tight the filter was at any point in the oci. Now sometimes in winter and cold temps a filter installed hand tight in the heat of summer could show some leakage later from the between the engine and gasket in very cold temps in the winter.

Quote:
I never had this problem with ACDelco or any filter with the black gasket, and yes I tighten them correctly, ....

Again, sealing gaskets have no relation to the adbv's being referenced here, so filter tightening would make no difference to adbv function. And if I once see a silicone sealing gasket, it will be the first. Fram, Purolator, Wix, Champ, Donaldson, Amsoil etc. all use nitrile sealing gaskets.

No updates from the OP??

What's the conclusion of start-up noise from the dealership with the ACDelco filter?

I will say from my dealership experience, I have seen cases where aftermarket filters have caused engine noise.
Saw a few cases of quick lube filters on Nissan 3.5's with terrible valvetrain noise, an oem filter solved the problem.
Have not really seen any problems on the 5.3 gm though...

Originally Posted By: cronk
I will say from my dealership experience, I have seen cases where aftermarket filters have caused engine noise.
Saw a few cases of quick lube filters on Nissan 3.5's with terrible valvetrain noise, an oem filter solved the problem.

Who knows what some of these quick lube places are using. Some of those places probably unknowingly buy counterfeit filters that are complete junk and might hardly flow any oil, thereby causing the problems.

In this case, the OP used a Fram Ultra which is a top tier filter, and flows like crazy. Maybe if the ADBV was defective on that filter, then I could see it causing the start-up noise, but the OP said he's always heard this noise no matter what filter was used.

The OP already said this,

I have had the AC Delco on, then a Mobil 1 synthetic, and this past filter was the Ultra. All had the noise.

While the stealer first told the OP, the Ultra had NO adbv.

And then according to the OP said the service manager...

assured me the Fram orange ADBV is of garbage quality and falls apart....

Which is it? No adbv, garbage adbv? Where's the evidence?

Be nice to hear an update, but based on OP's post's sounds like stealer shenanigans at work.

Where is the OP?
21.gif
I'd think he'd be excited to let us know what happened with the "start-up test" done by the dealership with the ACDelco installed.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: cronk

Who knows what some of these quick lube places are using. Some of those places probably unknowingly buy counterfeit filters that are complete junk and might hardly flow any oil, thereby causing the problems.

In this case, the OP used a Fram Ultra which is a top tier filter, and flows like crazy. Maybe if the ADBV was defective on that filter, then I could see it causing the start-up noise, but the OP said he's always heard this noise no matter what filter was used.

IIRC they were Pennsoil quick lube filter. Don't remember who was making those at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back