AC cools BETTER when idling??

Status
Not open for further replies.
your temp should fall while cruising and be warmer at idle. because while cruising your turning the compressor faster and are also getting more air across the condenser .

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
your temp should fall while cruising and be warmer at idle. because while cruising your turning the compressor faster and are also getting more air across the condenser .

I know that. That's why I was so puzzled when the opposite was happening. Hence the reason for this thread.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The heater control valve is letting hot coolant into the heater core. Theres not much water pressure @ idle vs the amount of water pressure when driving it.

Try feeling the heater hoses near the heater core while revving it up. They should be cold. Any heat in them will affect the outlet temp.

Or just pinch them off making sure that they are completly closed off and drive it.

When you're good you're good. Spot on

hopefully that did it? only other thing I can think of is leaky vacuum system if the blend doors are vacuum actuated.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I would think it was normal to have a higher vent temp while driving vs idle. While driving air would be rammed into your vents, causing increased temps. The cabin is never air tight on purpose. There is some outside venting even on recirc.

When driving, the compressor speed is increased over idle, and there is increased airflow over the condenser as well. At idle you have to rely on the cooling fans for airflow. The system can't dump heat without airflow.

I have several update posts on the 2nd page of this thread. I encourage everyone to read them before posting.

(I used big letters so everyone doesn't just scan over it and misses it)

Uh.... this IS the 2nd page..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I would think it was normal to have a higher vent temp while driving vs idle. While driving air would be rammed into your vents, causing increased temps. The cabin is never air tight on purpose. There is some outside venting even on recirc.

When driving, the compressor speed is increased over idle, and there is increased airflow over the condenser as well. At idle you have to rely on the cooling fans for airflow. The system can't dump heat without airflow.

Makes sense. I was referring to the vents and duct-work leaking hot air from the engine compartment at speed because his symptom is cooler when idling. In hindsight, calling it normal was too strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back