AC control cables sticking - how to get them lubricated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 T100. The cable that goes from the control panel, through the firewall, and connects to the valve that controls the flow of coolant to the heater core now has so much friction that I can hardly shift the lever to go from hot to cold. I have the dash apart and can see the cable, but haven't figured out how to disconnect it from the control panel, or how to get the control panel out. I have full access to the end of the cable that goes through the firewall. It appears to be a plastic lined cable running through the cable housing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lubricate this cable without removing it?

I'm not sure I can find a replacement cable, although a full control panel can be found on ebay with all cables attached. I'll keep that as my last option.

Use a motorcycle or bicycle cable lube tool. You only have to disconnect one end, but beware of leakage from the other.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the Motion Pro Cable Luber V3.

What lube would be recommended for a potentially teflon lined cable? I understand some lubes will cause more problems with binding with a lined cable.

Not sure, but any motorcycle cable lube or cable wax that's compatible with teflon linings should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back