Absorber drying chamois

gofast182 said:
I've been using the Absorber for almost 20 years (I have one dedicated for the finish and one dedicated for the jambs and wheels). I have also purchased some expensive waffle weave microfibers which I thought would replace it because smart people on the internet said it was better. The problem with them is the wet performance even after wringing it out is not as good as the Absorber.
Surely You Jest, my waffle weave works great.
cheers3.gif

gofast182 said:
I've been using the Absorber for almost 20 years (I have one dedicated for the finish and one dedicated for the jambs and wheels). I have also purchased some expensive waffle weave microfibers which I thought would replace it because smart people on the internet said it was better. The problem with them is the wet performance even after wringing it out is not as good as the Absorber.
Surely You Jest, my waffle weave works great.
cheers3.gif
I wonder how the absorber works with wax as you dry products?

I've used everything from real brushed/synthetic chamois's, to Absorbers, to microfibers. I've found they all work well, but the chamois and Absorbers have little to no nap (esp. the Absorbers) to draw anything away from the paint that could have been missed. So you literally end up dragging anything across the paint instead of it getting pulled up into the nap/pile of the towel.

The only cloth I had any issue with was a The Rag Company Dry Me A River waffle weave one I got a couple years ago and threw out last year. It became really bad at soaking up anything no matter how I cleaned it, to the point it just pushed water around. With microfibers you need to be careful in cleaning them, as fabric softener will hurt them and drying to hot will (I use Tide free or recently actual P&S Rags to Riches microfiber cleaner,) and hang to dry.

This year I've been using a smaller Detail Popo Twisted Rain microfiber that is nice and thick (1400gsm.) I bought two as they are only 40x60cm (~16x24") but only need one to dry off my whole 2014 Chrysler 300, and I don't need to ring it out at all (thought its pretty saturated by the end.) A lot of these twisted loop microfibers type clothes are very popular now like this DP Twisted Rain one, or the Griots PFM, TRC Liquid8r/Double Twistress etc... Just don't use fabric softener! I wash all my microfibers separate from anything else and hang to dry...

I've used everything from real brushed/synthetic chamois's, to Absorbers, to microfibers. I've found they all work well, but the chamois and Absorbers have little to no nap (esp. the Absorbers) to draw anything away from the paint that could have been missed. So you literally end up dragging anything across the paint instead of it getting pulled up into the nap/pile of the towel.

The only cloth I had any issue with was a The Rag Company Dry Me A River waffle weave one I got a couple years ago and threw out last year. It became really bad at soaking up anything no matter how I cleaned it, to the point it just pushed water around. With microfibers you need to be careful in cleaning them, as fabric softener will hurt them and drying to hot will (I use Tide free or recently actual P&S Rags to Riches microfiber cleaner,) and hang to dry.

This year I've been using a smaller Detail Popo Twisted Rain microfiber that is nice and thick (1400gsm.) I bought two as they are only 40x60cm (~16x24") but only need one to dry off my whole 2014 Chrysler 300, and I don't need to ring it out at all (thought its pretty saturated by the end.) A lot of these twisted loop microfibers type clothes are very popular now like this DP Twisted Rain one, or the Griots PFM, TRC Liquid8r/Double Twistress etc... Just don't use fabric softener! I wash all my microfibers separate from anything else and hang to dry...
I have also found that using drying aids (e.g. sealants) can sometimes affect the towel’s ability to absorb.

Back