ABS scan tool

Do any of the parts chain stores have a scan tool for ABS that they lend? My 2006 Grand Caravan (3.8, 245k miles) has a light that comes and goes. Off now but likely to reappear.

I bought a scan tool from Amazon for $18. It plugs into the OBD2 port on my car and then Bluetooths to my cell phone on which I have a code reading app. I am looking around to replace my current car and wanted a scanner I could take with when I look at another car. Take a look, for $18 IMO it is a good deal.

In the GM truck, it usually needs a new sensor if after cleaning it is not working.
I am not sure if you need the whole wheel bearing assembly to get a new sensor in your particular mini van.

More of the challenge is determining which side is bad.
That is where code reader is needed.

You can try going to the part store and see if their code reader can do it or not.
I don't think anybody here can know if they have it or not unless they are your neighbor that happens to go to the same part store as yours.
So ask your neighbor if they know.

Most auto part stores code readers do not read ABS codes. Kinda weird if you ask me! Autozone and O'Reillys both could not help read ABS codes on my Buick.

They told me that function wasn't available. Yes, it would be nice knowing which wheel sensor is the problem. In my case, fitting a whole new wheel bearing is apparently needed. The sensors are integral to the bearing assembly and therefore. needed as a unit. I'm still checking the wires and connections, but if that fails...

I'd love to have a $25 OBD reader and view on my phone as a post above states. However, the ABS function appears to be only allocated to very expensive readers,

Maybe I'm wrong, but you'll spend $275 plus to get an OBD reader. I was hoping my Autozone had the ability!

Would Bluedriver be useful for that? I bought one to read all the GM specific module codes on my Impala. My geneneric OBD scan tools would just show P0000 instead of the GM specific code. It has shown the wheel sensor (ABS) fault codes when a sensor has failed and set off the ABS/traction lights.

I believe both O'reilly's and Autozone sell Innova scan tools but I'm not sure if that is what they use on customers cars. I know the Innova 5610 can read ABS codes. I have one.

That only checks engine codes if I recall.
I don't know that for sure, and yes I used it once to get a code for a bad crankshaft position sensor that my $200 scanner didn't pick up. But since it's basically cheap (free) and easy to do at home, why not? The OP might get a code, and if they don't they have learned something.

I don't know that for sure, and yes I used it once to get a code for a bad crankshaft position sensor that my $200 scanner didn't pick up. But since it's basically cheap (free) and easy to do at home, why not? The OP might get a code, and if they don't they have learned something.
I've checked. No stored codes there. But good suggestion nevertheless.

Back