About done with Autozone

When you walk in, there's usually 2-3 men of advancing age behind the counter,
Agree, Once upon a time when these guys were experienced mechanics that had timed out from working in a shop/dealership that was true. I found a parts shop that had a really cute kitty at the counter that knew her stuff. Said her daddy taught her about cars.

I would go there often for advice.

kitty.jpg

Things at my Auto Zone have taken a weird turn in regard to the employees. When you walk in, there's usually 2-3 men of advancing age behind the counter, which is usually a good thing. Not in this case. Those guys are like the Keystone Cops of the auto parts world. Completely dumbfounded by things like fuses. They have resorted to hiring anyone who applies, regardless of their experience or interest in automotive subjects.. Not a big help when you're looking for something even remotely obscure. The everyday items are too much for them.
I watched one of their guys change a battery in a Subaru the day I left empty handed. While I was waiting for them to process my refund, 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back, the employee changing the battery was in and out of the store asking the manager questions and grabbing tools, a lot tools. He was clueless and it was obvious. I watched outside for a few seconds and was glad it wasn't my car he was working on.

I don't usually shop AZ, typically because I don't need look-up help and end up standing in line for a while waiting for someone to run the cash register.

Last time I went there I had an urgent need for an air filter for the LS. They actually had two (STP) on the shelf.

My go-to parts place is the local Monument Car Parts (total old skool auto supply). I was sold on them after seeing Aisin T-IV, Idemitsu TLS and Mobil 3309 on their "wall of lube".

Unless they have it in store, the clearance thing isn’t worth the hassle IMO.

I wouldn’t trust any of the parts stores for a correct or timely “site to store” transaction anymore.

I like my local Autozone. I usually know exactly what I'm going in for and only get that. I check the website for availability and price before I go.
I checked the website too, they had the items in stock, at least according to the site. Updating the site I guess varies by store. In any event it's strike three for Auto Zone for me. Their prices aren't great either so it's no big deal.

Haven’t been back to an Autozone since I had to ask to be checked out at the register. I interrupted a discussion taking place between the counter folks about their family heritage. I ask politely for some help and they glared at me and said “when we are done with our conversation “. I left and called their joke of a customer service line and outlined my visit. I really don’t know how AZ has stayed in business. Went in a AZ prior to the above visit to get a 1157 clear bulb. That counter person insisted that I tell them what year, make, and model that this bulb was for…. Eisenstein I think was on their name tag.

I have had the same issue many places. I even had the issue at Walmart - said come pick it up - got there and they said they didn't have it. Wondered into the store, picked it up off the shelf myself and paid on the way out. More like, too lazy to pick it for you.

I usually order online and have it delivered, unless I am desperate.

I've been done with Autozone for a long time. I walk in there one day and all the employees are wearing two layers of masks. When I go to an auto parts store, I want to be able to escape all the crazy narrative crap.
O'Reillys guys wear masks, not a problem. :LOL:

Lowe's carries auto parts?
Hardly.... Someone above went on a tangent it looks like, where the store's website says they have it but when you get there, they don't. It continued off-track from there.

Walmart and Home Depot do to
In stores or on their website ? Walmart partnered with AAP a couple years ago to offer parts like brake pads, starters, etc through their website. They don't offer store pick-up for these things though. Home Depot opened their website up to 3rd-party sellers at one point so while HD processed the $$$ aspect of the sale, unrelated companies handled everything else. It doesn't look like they still do this though.

If you mean basic stuff like batteries, wiper blades, bulbs, etc, that's a different matter (much more choice at WM vs HD though).

AZ is good for free rental tools to install your Rock Auto bought parts with! I used to feel guilty about it, but now I just dump my used oil in their tank instead...

It's a conundrum. We despise brick & mortar stores because of prices and perceived service issues but I suspect that we will miss them when they are gone.
Exactly.

Will be a real pita when you have something delivered and it turns out it's the wrong part, then you get to wait a few days for the replacement.

I'm all for brick and mortar, but I get the fact the OP got the bad end of the deal and they should have made it right wasting his time.

IMO, Amazon killed many of the mom and pop stores. When you use your profits...to the tune of over $2 billion (with a "b") to pay down shipping to make it look like the final destination is cheaper than alternatives, that doesn't fly with me. Many lost their businesses over that. That's just my $.02 on that part of internet ordering.

If I need a tool that the store doesn't have, I'll try to go to their website first and order direct, I'm fine if it takes an extra day.

To sum up my ramblings, I get the fact the OP, and others here had a bad experience with AZ, I'd be upset also. I would have tried to contact the manager directly then his or her supervisor in hopes I could possibly prevent this from happening to other customers in the future.

Amazing the quality of service you get when you demand high starting pay...you would think one would compliment the other.

Do they not provide confirmation once your order is picked?
I don't recall using Autozone for an online order that I'll pick up but I have done this with AAP, O'Reilly, and Walmart. Add in Kroger (groceries), my son has done it with places like Best Buy often, they ALL keep you informed by email (and/or text, if you pick that option), including something like "You're order is ready to be picked up". Notice anything like that was conveniently left out of this conversation ? 😂

Back