About $100,000 in dimes stolen from a trailer parked in a Walmart parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently they were being shipped from the Philadelphia Mint to Florida, but someone got to them while the trailer was parked at a Walmart in the Philly area. It was apparently carrying about $750,000 worth but the thieves only got a fraction of them and many were strewn over the lot. I heard what was actually stolen would have weighed about 5 tons.

It's going to take a really long time to get rid of the loot because it will be very suspicious trying to buy a car or anything significant with bags of dimes.

Especially all the same year. But maybe they'd be thinking of depositing them in a bank, but I'm pretty sure that banks all over the country will have heard of this.

Again - all dimes looking like this:

8706-wc.jpg

If someone drops them in a Coinstar machine with hundreds of dollars worth of 2023 Philadelphia mint mark dimes, I wonder if they'll check for fingerprints.

A $100k theft doesn’t make the news most of the time. If it was laptops or furniture or bottles of shampoo or a small piece of construction equipment you’d never hear about it. Coin star is how I’d do it, but hardly worth the hassle to avoid detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back