AAP Fram Titanium

Anyway, that just speaks more for the Titanium and underscores that there had to be some sort of transition in the XG.
Yes, the XG changed around Spring of 2021 (see date code of new Ultra in the video) ... old news around here, been many threads about it since it changed.

Notice the the can on the new non-wire backed Ultra still say "Ultra Synthetic" on it ... not "Ultra Synthetic Blend".

Last edited:
Just picked up another 3 cases (18 filters) of Titanium FS10575 to add to my stash. Got them for a total of $120 ($6.67ea). The others I got for around that same price as well.

So I have a total of 42 of them now. Enough for 126,000 miles of oil changes (I dump every 3,000 due to how they are driven) over two different vehicles.

1659028031552.jpg

Just picked up another 3 cases (18 filters) of Titanium FS10575 to add to my stash. Got them for a total of $120 ($6.67ea). The others I got for around that same price as well.

So I have a total of 42 of them now. Enough for 126,000 miles of oil changes (I dump every 3,000 due to how they are driven) over two different vehicles.

View attachment 110050
Not sure why even if you're changing the oil at every 3k miles, why you'd waste money on a filter of that quality if you're discarding. At 3k, literally any filter on the market (even the worst MIC) will survive. You could easily, with no detriment to the engine, run these 4-5x your 3k OCI and never even come close to putting your engine at risk regardless of how you drive it... but hey, it's your money, spend how you wish :cool:

Not sure why even if you're changing the oil at every 3k miles, why you'd waste money on a filter of that quality if you're discarding. At 3k, literally any filter on the market (even the worst MIC) will survive. You could easily, with no detriment to the engine, run these 4-5x your 3k OCI and never even come close to putting your engine at risk regardless of how you drive it... but hey, it's your money, spend how you wish :cool:

I run them for their efficiency and flow capacity. I don't need to get every ounce out of them or the oil. At ~$6-7 ea.....it's not a big deal.

I also change my air filter well before they are plugged tight. LOL

Last edited:
Bought a Titanium yesterday after reading a bunch about them on here. They had 4 in stock, was going to buy whatever they had left for my truck all at once to have for the future. First one was wire backed, date code A22713, so made Sept of 22'. The other 3 were not, see pics. I didn't look at the date code of the other ones, I should have, might go back and look. First two pics are the one I bought, the 3rd pic was what the other 3 looked like. No wire visible and media looks to be a tan/yellow rather than the very slight pink on the one I bought that is wire backed. Also noticed some moisture or something else in the bottom of the filter I bought, 4th pic.

Attachments

• IMG_7296.jpg
    IMG_7296.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7298.jpg
    IMG_7298.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7297.jpg
    IMG_7297.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7299.jpg
    IMG_7299.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 99
Bought a Titanium yesterday after reading a bunch about them on here. They had 4 in stock, was going to buy whatever they had left for my truck all at once to have for the future. First one was wire backed, date code A22713, so made Sept of 22'. The other 3 were not, see pics. I didn't look at the date code of the other ones, I should have, might go back and look. First two pics are the one I bought, the 3rd pic was what the other 3 looked like. No wire visible and media looks to be a tan/yellow rather than the very slight pink on the one I bought that is wire backed. Also noticed some moisture or something else in the bottom of the filter I bought, 4th pic.
Hummm ... looks like the Titanium has now went with the new non-wire backed media. :cautious: I figured it probably would as time went on. Yes, if you could get the date codes on the ones that are not wire backed that would be interesting.

The liquid you see at the bottom of the other filter is just a light oil that is there to help prevent any rusting. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Yep, will stop and check them on my way home and get some more weird looks for standing in the aisle staring at an oil filter with a flashlight.

This filter seems awful small for my truck, 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI, always though that every time I've bought a filter for it. Any other filter # I can use on my engine that is a bit bigger of a filter? No reason not to trust the manufacturer, just seems like a small filter for a big engine with 7qts running through it. Maybe I'll grab a bigger one while I'm there and look down it to see if it's wire backed.

Yep, will stop and check them on my way home and get some more weird looks for standing in the aisle staring at an oil filter with a flashlight.

This filter seems awful small for my truck, 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI, always though that every time I've bought a filter for it. Any other filter # I can use on my engine that is a bit bigger of a filter? No reason not to trust the manufacturer, just seems like a small filter for a big engine with 7qts running through it. Maybe I'll grab a bigger one while I'm there and look down it to see if it's wire backed.
What vehicle is this for? There might be an "oversized" filter that fits it right. Is the XG7317 the one specified for you truck? If so, the 7317 is actually pretty big and is used on a lot of larger engines.

The small and standard filter for the Ram is an XG10060 (MO-339). The larger XG2 (MO-899) has been used successfully by many people and unsuccessfully by some. Clearance being the culprit.

Yes the 10060 is the one I bought, the full Titanium # is FS10060.

Stopped by AAP on the way home and the filter pictured above without the wire back had a date code of A22423, so it was made in August of '22, before the one I bought that had the wire back in it, which was made in Sept of '22. No idea how to explain it. I did notice the box on the one that doesn't have the wire back still claimed to have the wire back. Your guess is as good as mine, actually it's probably way better than mine.

Anyway, I'm putting PP 5w-20 and that 10060 in the truck tomorrow.

I did notice the box on the one that doesn't have the wire back still claimed to have the wire back.
Yes, people have seen the same thing when the Ultra was going through the media change. Apparently, Fram was using up some of their old boxes that showed the wire backed media statement on the box, but the filter inside the box wasn't wire backed.

Sorry to hear about the Titanium change; it was to be expected though.

No matter the gas pickup truck I drive, when my OG Fram Ultra's are gone, I'll switch to Purolator Boss or Royal Purple filters and their screen-backed filtering media. That is... if they hold to current mfgring processes into the future. They are the current definition of "tough."

Last edited:
Since several of us like to stock up on Fram Ultras, how many years can you store them on a shelf (at room temperature) and still be able to use them afterwards without fear of internal rust or media degredation?

So, after reading a lot of threads on the cheapened Fram Ultra, it's still the highest efficiency @15 microns and @20 microns
filter I've seen in the tests that Overkill pasted and in Fram's own tests that ZeeOSix posted and also has the extra holding capacity for extra headroom if needed.

With a price of around $8, its not expensive.

Fram Ultra remains my first pick for oil and air filters
(the Fram Ultra Synthetic air filters are only sold at Walmart as per a contract between Fram and Walmart).

Since several of us like to stock up on Fram Ultras, how many years can you store them on a shelf (at room temperature) and still be able to use them afterwards without fear of internal rust or media degredation?
I'd say if you can prevent any rust on the base plate or center tube they should be good for 10 years. I put mine in a plastic bag, then back in the original box. Always keep them inside the house where it's dry and less temperature swings. If you live in a hot & high humidity area, then maybe use a small desicant pack or two (sold on Amazon) in the bag with the filter.

I just put a ~6 year old Ultra on my Tacoma, and it looked spotless before installation.

Last edited:
I'd say if you can prevent any rust on the base plate or center tube they should be good for 10 years. I put mine in a plastic bag, then back in the original box. Always keep them inside the house where it's dry and less temperature swings. If you live in a hot & high humidity area, then maybe use a small desicant pack or two (sold on Amazon) in the bag with the filter.

I just put a ~6 year old Ultra on my Tacoma, and it looked spotless before installation.
That's good to hear that after 6 years, it was in that good of a condition (likely due to a perfect storage environment).
I'm going to buy more Fram Ultra and add to my stash.

Fram Ultra cartridge question.

We're thinking about buying a used very low mileage (40k miles on odometer),
2011 Toyota Corolla that was owned by a 80 year old retired woman. Her family is selling it.

It uses the Cartridge style filters, so conversations like wire backing, etc won't apply to a cartridge filter element.
If we buy the Fram Ultra oil filter element replacement with included O-Rings that would then be inserted into the Toyota Cartridge,
would we still get an efficiency of 99+% @ 20 microns, or would the Toyota cartridge (Instead of a Fram cannister housing)
lower the efficiency?

Back