AAP Fram Titanium

Interesting. Is there a reason other than appearance? Given that the "normal" hole style flows more than enough.
Suppose to give 0.0001 more HP due to less delta-p ... lol. 😋 Probably just marketing and a way to distighish it from the Ultra.

No denying, I'm very surprised that FB/Fram has kept the tooling and materials (2ply full synthetic wire backed media) around for a made for (AAP) filter that is clearly superior to their own current "Ultra" offering. It's difficult for me to imagine that even with the price point premium of the Titanium it's profitable enough to maintain. Maybe, I wonder if it will continue.
Fram's website, and the Titanium box says the media is synthetic blend. It must be mostly synthetic if it still needs a wire backing.

1658688729131.jpg

1658688855713.jpg

Fwiw, a while ago there was at one member that reported that topic filter had shown up non wired backed but can't remember if pic posted with it. Don't think so. Locally AAP showing $15.79 for topic filter. I prefer to buy my oil and filter separately, find it less expensive. That and I moved on to Bosch Premium 3323, doing something I've never done, stashed a bunch from RA at a ~1/3 the cost of topic filter. Not full synthetic, but works for my oci/fcis.
The Titanium I got in the AAP oil + filter package deal was 22.5% off.

Yes, that's what I was commenting on, wondering if that was can-specific or if all of these filters had the funky holes. It appears my query has been answered and they all do.
AFAIK ... all Titaniums have the tear drop base plate inlet holes.

Hey Z, just to make sure I am interpreting correctly...you discovered the current Titanium is the same as the OG Ultra? Same media with screen and same internals? So, an OG Ultra with the full black coating? Wow, nice find!
Yes, if someone wants an OG Ultra, go for the Titanium if you don't mind spending a little more for one. If you need oil too, then going for the AAP oil + filter deal is about as good as you could get at Walmart ... but Walmart doesn't sell the Titanium, only sold at AAP. The black finish is really actually pretty nice looking with the orange lettering.

With that, the Titanium has the 90% at 20µ synthetic media backed with the metal screen, and the new Ultra has the same 90% at 20µ media but instead of the metal screen it has a second later of media. So a guy has to decide if he wants the metal screen or the second later of media and a full coated can or not. Good to know (y)!
The efficiency is shown on Fram's website to be the same as the Ultra ... 99+% @ 20u and larger particles.

Fram's website, and the Titanium box says the media is synthetic blend. It must be mostly synthetic if it still needs a wire backing.

View attachment 109515

View attachment 109518

The Titanium I got in the AAP oil + filter package deal was 22.5% off.
Yeah, the media about this filter and the Ultra have been all over the map since First Brands took over. The OG Ultra media was pink and of course was not marketed as a blend and the current blend/hybrid media in the Ultra doesn't have the wire backing.

Also, I snapped this from the Titanium on one of the FRAM website revisions, which is identical to the updated Ultra:
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.05.11 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 7.45.28 PM.jpg

Yeah, the media about this filter and the Ultra have been all over the map since First Brands took over. The OG Ultra media was pink and of course was not marketed as a blend and the current blend/hybrid media in the Ultra doesn't have the wire backing.

Also, I snapped this from the Titanium on one of the FRAM website revisions, which is identical to the updated Ultra:
View attachment 109519
View attachment 109520
This is what Fram shows for the Titanium on their website right now. Yeah, it seems what they have shown has been all over the place. The web snap-shot you show in your quote for the Titanium isn't what they show right now. What time frame was that Titanium snap-shot?

Your snap-shot of the Ultra is the non-wire backed new design.

1658689628321.png

Fram's website, and the Titanium box says the media is synthetic blend. It must be mostly synthetic if it still needs a wire back......
As I noted with the qualifier "If" at the start, then went on to post the Fram provided for the OG Ultra media.' If' the topic Titanium is a synthetic "blend", 'then' that information does not match the proven OG Ultra information. Even that being the case 'I' would still say the Titanium is still the superior OF to the current "ultra. And that said, wouldn't surprise 'me' if FB put the incorrect information on the Titanium box and the media same as Ultra. But that is a speculation.

Lots of qualifiers in that thought, wanted to clarify my thoughts presented in the previous post.

As for Titanium inlet holes, total gimmick imo.

This is what Fram shows for the Titanium on their website right now. Yeah, it seems what they have shown has been all over the place. The web snap-shot you show in your quote for the Titanium isn't what they show right now. What time frame was that Titanium snap-shot?

Your snap-shot of the Ultra is the non-wire backed new design.

View attachment 109521
The snap of the Titanium is from November 16th, 2021. The snap of the Ultra was from January 6th, 2022.

And yes, exactly, that's why I brought it up. There's something rotten in Denmark here.

One has to go by what fram itself writes on it's website. So the wire backing isn't needed since the titanium is a blend media. Seems like it's just a marketing ploy to have the backing so they can charge almost double for what essentially is a ultra painted black

One has to go by what fram itself writes on it's website. So the wire backing isn't needed since the titanium is a blend media. Seems like it's just a marketing ploy to have the backing so they can charge almost double for what essentially is a ultra painted black
Eh, the website has been WILDLY inconsistent. The pink media is what was originally in the OG Ultra, and it was not a blend and definitely required the wire backing. A blend media, at least the traditional definition of it, is a cellulose-style media produced with a blend of cellulose and synthetic fibres. This looks like cellulose media in application and feels like it. This is what you see in the PureONE, Toughguard, Mobil 1 filter...etc. And is also what the back layer on the current FRAM Ultra looks like.

On the other hand, the current Titanium appears to have the wire-backed pink synthetic media, even if they are calling it a blend on paper. While the snap I show from November clearly shows the brown "blend" media that's the backer in the current Ultra that doesn't require the mesh reinforcement.

The snap of the Titanium is from November 16th, 2021. The snap of the Ultra was from January 6th, 2022.

And yes, exactly, that's why I brought it up. There's something rotten in Denmark here.
It may all be just the way Fram uses the word "synthetic media" (like oil makers use "synthetic" for oil). I don't think I have ever seen Fram say "full synthetic" or "100% synthetic" media ... even on the OG Ultra. Anyone have an old snap-shot of the Ultra website info saying that?

Notice how they mince the words in that old Titanium snap-shot.

1658691481595.jpg

I doubt that's the case. If they were using the same exact media in the Titanium as the non-wire backed Ultra then AAP would probably just use the same media, change the box and keep charging the same as they are now for the Titanium. Or they could reduce the price and sell more of them. AAP probably has specified for Fram to keep building them like the OG Ultra ... maybe they think it will attract more buyers. All speculations of course.

Eh, the website has been WILDLY inconsistent. The pink media is what was originally in the OG Ultra, and it was not a blend and definitely required the wire backing. A blend media, at least the traditional definition of it, is a cellulose-style media produced with a blend of cellulose and synthetic fibres. This looks like cellulose media in application and feels like it. This is what you see in the PureONE, Toughguard, Mobil 1 filter...etc. And is also what the back layer on the current FRAM Ultra looks like.

On the other hand, the current Titanium appears to have the wire-backed pink synthetic media, even if they are calling it a blend on paper. While the snap I show from November clearly shows the brown "blend" media that's the backer in the current Ultra that doesn't require the mesh reinforcement.

This guy cut a titanium last year and the media was white which I thought was what made it synthetic.

I'm a gambler so I'd bet first brands cheapened the titanium cause they know bitogers will trip over themselves paying more for some chicken wire 🙂

It may all be just the way Fram uses the word "synthetic media" (like oil makers use "synthetic" for oil). I don't think I have ever seen Fram say "full synthetic" or "100% synthetic" media ... even on the OG Ultra. Anyone have an old snap-shot of the Ultra website info saying that?

Notice how they mince the words in that old Titanium snap-shot.

View attachment 109523
It has previously just said "2-ply synthetic, metal-screen-reinforced media":
1658692373627.jpg

From the web archive:

Back