AAP Fram Titanium

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Some have been wondering if the Fram Titanium is still the old design Ultra wire backed media or not. I just bought one from Advance Auto Parts (FS7317). Got it in their oil & filter deal, and wanted the oil for my Tacoma (Valvoline Advanced 5W-30, API SP) and the Titanium filter for my Yamaha XSR900. I still have a few old wire backed Ultras for my Tacoma.

The date code on the Titanium is A21682, so 168th day of 2022 (June 17, 2022). Here's a photo of the center tube - wire backed media is visible. I only paid 55 cents more at AAP than compared to buying the same 5 qt jug of Valvoline oil and a non-wire backed Ultra from Walmart.

20220723_171537-1-1.jpg

20220723_183210-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dissection!
Here's a new cut open done when the Titanium first came out. The current Titanium is still built like this one. Whip City wasn't reading the efficiency on the box right, he was looking at the "-12" in the test spec number of ISO 4548-12. The Titanium is 99% for particles 20μ and larger like the Ultra. Also, the black coating will radiate heat better than any coating will - he thought the opposite.

Last edited:
Some have been wondering if the Fram Titanium is still the old design Ultra wire backed media or not. I just bought one from Advance Auto Parts (FS7317). Got it in their oil & filter deal, and wanted the oil for my Tacoma (Valvoline Advanced 5W-30, API SP) and the Titanium filter for my Yamaha XSR900. I still have a few old wire backed Ultras for my Tacoma.

The date code on the Titanium is A21682, so 168th day of 2022 (June 17, 2022). Here's a photo of the center tube - wire backed media is visible. I only paid 55 cents more at AAP than compared to buying the same 5 qt jug of Valvoline oil and a non-wire backed Ultra from Walmart.

View attachment 109432

View attachment 109440

Well well...

The OG does live on...

And at a rather reasonable price at AAP when gotten in the combo deal.

Not too shabby.

I must have been under a rock because I never heard of or seen a Titanium Fram filter. I thought it was just the basic orange can, tough gard then Ultra along with a few jobber styles. Which is better or their top shelf filter- Ultra or the platinum??

I must have been under a rock because I never heard of or seen a Titanium Fram filter. I thought it was just the basic orange can, tough gard then Ultra along with a few jobber styles. Which is better or their top shelf filter- Ultra or the platinum??
Titanium is an AAP exclusive, along with the Force (essentially a rebranded toughgaurd), and Drive, which is like a Champ Labs jobber filter in an orange can.

For the price AAP wants, I think I'd rather get a royal purple filter
I wouldn't have got it if it wasn't for the 5 qt jug of oil + filter deal. Worked out good for me because the deal was a hair more than buying the Valvoline Advanced and a non-wire backed Ultra at Walmart. If AAP lowered the price of just the Titanium to $11-$12 they would probably sell more of them. I'd spend $2 more for the old wire backed Ultra design vs the non-wire backed Ultra.

I have both, the recent new FRAM Ultra from W*M($8.97), non wire backed and the FRAM Titanium from AAP oil/filter pkg.
After using my Speed Perks Dollars, I too bought the FRAM syn oil & filter for quite a bit cheaper than SperTech FS/FRAM Ultra.

When I've used them up, I'll cut them both open to see how they're made.

Last edited:
No denying, I'm very surprised that FB/Fram has kept the tooling and materials (2ply full synthetic wire backed media) around for a made for (AAP) filter that is clearly superior to their own current "Ultra" offering. It's difficult for me to imagine that even with the price point premium of the Titanium it's profitable enough to maintain. Maybe, I wonder if it will continue.

Fwiw, a while ago there was at one member that reported that topic filter had shown up non wired backed but can't remember if pic posted with it. Don't think so. Locally AAP showing $15.79 for topic filter. I prefer to buy my oil and filter separately, find it less expensive. That and I moved on to Bosch Premium 3323, doing something I've never done, stashed a bunch from RA at a ~1/3 the cost of topic filter. Not full synthetic, but works for my oci/fcis.

Hey Z, just to make sure I am interpreting correctly...you discovered the current Titanium is the same as the OG Ultra? Same media with screen and same internals? So, an OG Ultra with the full black coating? Wow, nice find!

With that, the Titanium has the 90% at 20µ synthetic media backed with the metal screen, and the new Ultra has the same 90% at 20µ media but instead of the metal screen it has a second later of media. So a guy has to decide if he wants the metal screen or the second later of media and a full coated can or not. Good to know (y)!

Nice to see the OG is still available, although First Brands “customer service” would probably claim the new Ultra is still better! At least AAP allows codes on them, so a Titanium would be close in price to an RP-the current 20% off ($15.79-3.16=$12.63) if you needed one immediately.

..With that, the Titanium has the 90% at 20µ synthetic media backed with the metal screen, and the new Ultra has the same 90% at 20µ media but instead of the metal screen it has a second later of media. So a guy has to decide if he wants the metal screen or the second later of media and a full coated can or not.....
Not really. OG Ultra was "2 ply" full synthetic media,* backed by wire for support. New FB/Fram "ultra" has one synthetic layer, backed by a synthetic blend media layer for support. *Information was straight from Fram website when OG Ultra made.

'If' the topic Titanium is still the same as OG media, price aside, not even a close call on which OF is the superior OF. Titanium FTW.

As for current AAP codes use, 15% off now standard amount off. According to AAP site, 20% off requires $75 purchase.

I have both, the recent new FRAM Ultra from W*M($8.97), non wire backed and the FRAM Titanium from AAP oil/filter pkg.
After using my Speed Perks Dollars, I too bought the FRAM syn oil & filter for quite a bit cheaper than SperTech FS/FRAM Ultra.

When I've used them up, I'll cut them both open to see how they're made.
I failed to mention that these filters are also #7317

Not really. OG Ultra was "2 ply" full synthetic media,* backed by wire for support. New FB/Fram "ultra" has one synthetic layer, backed by a synthetic blend media layer for support. *Information was straight from Fram website when OG Ultra made.

'If' the topic Titanium is still the same as OG media, price aside, not even a close call on which OF is the superior OF. Titanium FTW.

As for current AAP codes use, 15% off now standard amount off. According to AAP site, 20% off requires $75 purchase.
Sorry, bad info, guess the 25% off was old.

Back