A3/B4 5w30 choices

My daily driver always had 5w40 or 10w40, decided to try 5w30 and it burned a bit of oil during the first 2000 kms after the change and now consumption has completely stopped for the last 5000 kms. The little 4 cylinder seems quieter on cold starts and maybe slightly less sluggish (i still think it is a placebo). I want to continue with a 5w30 for at least the next oil change but my choices are limited. The only full saps A3/B4 5w30 available at the stores is Shell Helix Ultra. Is there an alternative i can buy online for a good (better?) price? All the 5w30 at the stores are low/mid saps and the specs are API C3, MB 229.51, VW 504/507 etc unfortunately and they're more expensive too.

Because ACEA A3/B4 requires a minimum 3.5 HT/HS the grade is nearly irrelevant. You can quibble over the winter rating (which is likely also irrelevant in France) but otherwise any A3/B4 oil is going to be much the same as any other. HTHS is a better descriptor of the oil anyway, compared to grade.

Where i live it rarely goes below freezing, maybe a few nights during january/february (between 0 and -5°C) but that's all. After all the engine in my other old Benz is still tight at 500K kms and it only had 15w40 for it's entire life. Maybe i'm wasting money in expensive synthetics but i'm a bit paranoid about cold start wear/noise.

Considering that all the rest of the approvals, licenses and specifications for that oil are only "recommended for" I would guess that ACEA A3/B4 is also only a recommendation. But since ACEA sequences are self-certified (and registration is not required) it's not really possible to tell. If it were me I'd much rather go with a brand that makes fewer recommendations and has at least a few actual approvals and certs to back up their claim.

Last edited:
Considering that all the rest of the approvals, licenses and specifications for that oil are only "recommended for" I would guess that ACEA A3/B4 is also only a recommendation. But since ACEA sequences are self-certified (and registration is not required) it's not really possible to tell. If it were me I'd much rather go with a brand that makes fewer recommendations and has at least a few actual approvals and certs to back up their claim.
Didn't paid attention to that but you're right. All the oils i usually use are all MB approved if i look at the bevo sheets. If i'm not mistaken, 229.1 and 229.3 can be either approvals or just specs whereas 229.5 must be an approval and must appear on the bevo sheet.

I would open your shopping up to A3/B3 oils, too. That may help you find more candidates.

The only difference is drain interval. I use an A3/B3 oil out to 7,500 mi/12,000km, no problem (tested). Also given your mild temps, I would look at 10w30 oils if you have them in your market. I live in a similar maritime climate and use Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage with great success - A3/B3. Likely not available so cheaply to you, but perhaps something similar?

10w and 5w don't flow differently until well below 0C so you are leaving many good oils out of consideration, and making compromises for 5w that are detrimental (viscosity index improvers you don't need and that don't lubricate, and degrade).

10w30 grade over here is hard to come by.....as PCMO

Usually it is reserved for motocycles (JASO Mx)....or for Tractors (API GL4....John Deere...Masey Ferguson specs)....or for OPE use (API SF/SG/SJ/CD/CF specs)

But you can get 10w40 almost in every shop...

I agree, no PCMO 10w30 at all but here are the common choice available at the stores from the cheapest to the most expensive :

- 15€ : Conventional 15w40 : A3/B3, MB 229.1, VW 501/505
- 20€ : Semi-synthetic 10w40 : A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 501/505
- 30€ : Synthetic 5w40 : A3/B4, MB 229.5, VW 502/505, BMW LL-01, PORSCHE A40
- 40/45 € : Synthetic 5w30 : C3 MB 229.51, VW 504/507, BMW LL-04, POSCHE C30
- Other options only available at specialized stores or online and expensive : HDEO, motorcycle oils...

I try not to use my 10w40 /15w40 stash until spring/summer usually but maybe i shouldn't even care with average temperatures between 5°C and 25°C during the coldest and hottest months (extremes are 0°C and 35°C).

Back