A whopping repair/service for 2013 Audi A6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any vehicle with a supercharger is super expensive to maintain.

Fix the things that are really broke. There are many indy shops that specialize in imports or German cars. Find one.

Without question, the service writer threw in a bunch of "recommended" work as pure upsells and they bought it. They forgot to replace the shocks/struts at all four corners 'cause they're leaking, needs new brakes, and a fuel injection cleaning service though !

As a mechanic, for any that work in shops and get assigned jobs like this, do you just do what the work order says ? I suppose it's hard to question things... You're paid to do the work, so you do it, I guess.
^^This. Service writers work on 100% commission. That's why they throw in tons of extra stuff.

Any vehicle with a supercharger is super expensive to maintain.

Fix the things that are really broke. There are many indy shops that specialize in imports or German cars. Find one.
^^This too. Their Audi needed a new fuel pump, a fuel pump is all they'll get.

This was the estimate from the dealer, a screenshot from the SA computer screen. He hasn't paid for it yet. It will probably be more when he picks it up!

But, as I said earlier, I suggested he only fix it enough to get it running, then think about his options. They're doing fine, but this is "real" money to them.

It irks me that these repairs seem to be so overinflated. The is an Audi dealership in the San Francisco Bay Area. California is especially expensive up there, this being one more example.

Scott
If you can, be sure and go with him. Watch his back so they don't take advantage of him.

I think this car needs a second opinion. Get it to a Indy and pay less labour for what actually needs doing. FYI these engines usually still run with a high pressure pump failure.

People are saying about these being complicated but that engine is one of the easiest to work on. No reason why any half decent tech carnt do the work.

Fix to get roadworthy again and trade it for a newer one at CarMax with one of their longest in house warranties. They have some nice ’16 and ‘17’s for sale in CA. Although an Avalon is a good idea esp a ‘17. 2018 was the first year of the new gen I believe.

Plugging in all the info given Carvana is offering $17,300. Used a San Fran zip code for the value as well.

Last edited:
Nope, a lot does not add up there.
1. What is "major 55K service?" I have never heard of that. What does that exactly includes?
2. 3.0 SC are stout engines. VCG leak? It is not rocket science and he has VCG leak probably bcs. PCV is blocked and person neglected for a long time.
3. HPFP BOSCH for 3.0 goes for like $190-220 depending on vendor. Simple job for anyone who knows how to install cabinet, or mount TV on the wall, meaning, anyone who knows how to hold screw driver. Much more simple than changing spark plugs on Toyota Avalon that you suggested.
4. If PCV was not changed, rear main seal is next.

Nope, a lot does not add up there.
1. What is "major 55K service?" I have never heard of that. What does that exactly includes?
2. 3.0 SC are stout engines. VCG leak? It is not rocket science and he has VCG leak probably bcs. PCV is blocked and person neglected for a long time.
3. HPFP BOSCH for 3.0 goes for like $190-220 depending on vendor. Simple job for anyone who knows how to install cabinet, or mount TV on the wall, meaning, anyone who knows how to hold screw driver. Much more simple than changing spark plugs on Toyota Avalon that you suggested.
4. If PCV was not changed, rear main seal is next.
1) Oil change, filters, brake fluid flush, plugs, inspection.
2) Not really. VCG’s leak, oil filter housings leak, rear mains leak.
3) Sure
4) Replacing PCV requires removing the supercharger on these engines.

Reminds me of my last experience with the MB stealership. They had it nearly a week to solve a P0299 underboost situation on my Bluetec.

They spent a couple days diagnosing, then had to wait for the VGT actuator to arrive since they don't stock it. Replaced it and told me to come pick it up.

No sooner do I drive off the lot than the CEL comes back on. My BlueDriver scantool says it's the same code. So it's not fixed yet.

Ended up being a $100 boost hose that nobody thought to check. Other folks have been told to replace $2k turbos, $800 MAF sensors, etc. Can you imagine the level of incompetence and lack of technical experience to actually properly diagnose something broken without relying solely on the computer diagnostics? WHERE ARE ALL THE REAL MECHANICS???

Oh yeah, they're NOT working for stealerships.

My brother had one of these with a Carmax warranty on it. Right after the warranty ran out, Audi wanted to charge him $800 to replace rear brake pads, and turn off the brake pad light.

His buddy did a pad slap, shut the light off, and it was traded in on a new Lexus. Pads were acquired from Napa for under $100.

There apparently a huge difference between manufacturer's recommended maintenance and what that particular dealer thinks needs to be done at 55K miles. Probably over $1,000 of difference would be my guess.

What? Where? I have been working at dealers for over 30 years and not one had commission advisors.
Maybe in Canada. Here in the US it is common for advisors to be on a commission pay plan. It is typically 4-6% of the parts and labor sales depending on whether it is int/wty/CP. Or, it is a flat amount plus a percentage or dollar amount on labor sales.

Last edited:
People are saying about these being complicated but that engine is one of the easiest to work on. No reason why any half decent tech carnt do the work.
BITOG is the #1 location on the internet for ****ing and moaning about literally anything

Well that seems reasonable enough... I'll just stop my career and spend the next several years to become a certified BMW tech so I can own one on the cheap. LOL. Um, yeah, no thanks.

I think if it requires someone to have the skill to be a technician to own a particular car, that's not a good testimony for that car.
For Mercedes you can just pick up the repair manual on eBay for around $6. It's basically a knock off of the real thing that the dealers use. If you want the real thing, it's about $60 for 24 hour access directly from Mercedes's website. Certain things and common repair procedures you can find on youtube. For certain procedures, I just print out the directions and give them to my mechanic. It even comes with EPC which is the parts lookup so all you need is the vin to get the right parts for your car.

So are you claiming the average cost across German car brands, which was my point, is $60,000 @Wolf359 ?
I'm saying this particular car was about 60k. In general, most of the high volume German cars are lower end cars. Mercedes sells a lot more C class type cars/SUVs than the high end S class models but people just think of S class prices when thinking German. Both of my Mercedes E-350's listed in the 55-68k range, but both of them were under 20k when I bought them used after about 5 years. I'm guessing that the buyer of this car probably didn't pay much more than 20-30k if they bought it recently, when they're off lease, probably a 60k car is about 30-40k after 3-4 years.
BITOG is the #1 location on the internet for ****ing and moaning about literally anything
Yeah, people leave out the fun to drive part. I enjoy driving mine every time I get behind the wheel. My only regret was not buying one sooner. As the saying goes, you gotta pay to play. There's several threads on here about people paying thousands to fix Toyotas and Hondas too and people don't ***** and moan that much about it, they're kinda surprised it even needs repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back