A "What Would You Do" $20 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ac delco is abt $1 more than a tears later purolator. I suggest chevron supreme oil which is on sale now at Costco for $2.25/qt.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have no problem with Supertech synthetic but I wouldn't us either of your filter choices. I'd substitute a Tough guard, Wix, or something similar.

Any reason why we are having a hard cut off at $20?

No real reason other than value for the money. At some point you stop gaining protection and start paying for marketing and advertising. For example Fram normally costs more but is similar to a Wix. Pennzoil costs more than Havoline but in the real world is one significantly better than the other?

I would put more hours in at work and buy something better and I wouldn't put fram in the same category as wix

Last edited:
You want the oil to match the filter.

No reason to use Mobil 1 EP and a $2 filter

No reason to use a Fram Ultra and no name bulk oil.

Plan C is the best

Regular conventional and regular oil 5k miles

I don't know what you're driving, but if it were my car, then I'd just get a Motorcraft filter ($3.69) and a 5qt jug of QS Defy ($15.97) from WalMart. That's just under $20.

..but there's a lot of other options. Mobil Super can be had for $12.88 a 5-qt jug.

Heck, why not get a 5-qt jug of SuperTech conventional and a Fram Ultra. Still under $20.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Plan C is the best

I use Fram Ultras with conventional oil. I run the oil 3k miles and the filter 15k

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
If you stick with the OEM OCI of 3750 miles and one wants quality at an affordable price, do you use a better oil and average oil filter or average oil with better filter?

Your oil is much more important than your filter.
Using any SN-rated oil for 3750 miles (or even 5K miles) with the viscosity that your manufacturer recommends and a $2 QS filter will make your car engine last +200K miles. And while nobody wants a filter that tears, you could put on a filter that gets a media tear for each and every oil change and you won't notice that your oil is any different than a filter that doesn't tear UNLESS you have a sludged motor. (This is provided that the torn media doesn't travel into the engine and do additional damage)
Engines from the 60s and early 70s were lucky to make it to 100K miles mainly because of the quality of oil at the time. The improvements in oil, not the improvements of the oil filter, have increased the life of the modern engine.

You can do a cheap change for less than ten bucks easy.
With a little shopping, you can do it for less tham five bucks.
For a run as short as 3750 miles, I'd use Smitty's or something equally cheap or cheaper on sale with a QS filter bought on sale.

Go to the attic & get an Ultra (which I bought from AAP using an online code & rebate, getting the price down under $5), & then go out to the garage to get some Valvoline or Kendall that I bought on clearance and/or rebate for $1/quart or less-voila! $10 oil change!

Smittys is a blender.They bottle several brands of oil but Super S is their main one.
They use Mobil and Shell baseoil and add their own additives.
They have a full selection of grease,atf,gear oils,heavy equipment products.
They also have Dexos spec synthetic.
Very good products at a decent price.
All are API certified.

Uhhh.... this is the site where you don't need to spend $20 on an oil change.

But one right answer is the following...

1) Buy two Mobil 1 oil change specials. $32.99 each at Advance last month.
2) Get the Mobil 1 $15 rebate
3) Change the oil every 15k and top off when needed in between.

Four $20 oil changes = $80
One Mobil 1 Special = $17.99

$62 in savings every two years times five equals $310.

If you save up enough money over the years, you can buy a Cadillac.

https://www.facebook.com/steven.lang.923/posts/10204511504571123?pnref=story

All the best!

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Plan C is the best

That makes sense. The car came new with Mobil Super 5000 in it and a Nissan branded From filter on it. So in the real world what matters is changing the oil and filter and not so much the brands. The car has SuperTech synthetic and a Puro classic in it right now using the OEM OCI of 3750 miles.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Good oil and cheap filter
Yah, STP filter from Auto Zone and Supertech oil from Wal Mart. If you went with synthetic, you could double that. You could probably run double with a dino too for that matter. How is the ATF and coolant? I would be more worried about transmissions than the engine oil. An extra ATF cooler may be a good idea. Maybe knock the loose dirt from the air filter
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Good oil and cheap filter
Yah, STP filter from Auto Zone and Supertech oil from Wal Mart. If you went with synthetic, you could double that. You could probably run double with a dino too for that matter. How is the ATF and coolant? I would be more worried about transmissions than the engine oil. An extra ATF cooler may be a good idea. Maybe knock the loose dirt from the air filter
grin2.gif

The car was bought new in 2012 and has 24000 miles on it. I do the care of the car myself and I change the air and cabin filters at the OEM schedule of 15000 miles. Car has 6 speed manual with gear lube in the gearbox from the factory. Manual says to change the GL-4 gear oil at 30000.

For $20 and 3,750 miles, I'd go with conventional Havoline 5w30 and a Napa Silver filter and call it a day.

I vote for a high quality affordable oil and high quality filter. I suggest going to Walmart and getting two five quart jugs of Mobil Super 5k. It's low priced, but very high quality, and will protect your engine for your 3750 mile OCI with ease. The reason I suggest getting two jugs is so you can submit one rebate and get $14 back. So you're basically getting 10 quarts (I'm assuming two oil changes) for around $14.

While you're there, pick up two Fram Ultra filters. They're among the best filters you can buy and are good for up to 15k miles. Go to the Fram website, and submit the rebate for $2 back on each filter. Use each filter for three oil changes.

Cost output at the register is going to be a bit under $45 (not including tax), but after rebates you're going to be doing oil changes for about $12. You can also reduce the amount you spend at the register by only getting one Fram Ultra filter.

To me, that's the best of all worlds. It's a high quality oil, it's a very high quality filter, and after rebates it's a very reasonable price for each oil change.

I've never had a problem with rebates, but when checking out at the store I make a separate purchase with just the items I want to submit a rebate for. So the oil would be on one receipt all by itself, and the filter(s) would be on another receipt all by itself.

Go to Rock auto and get a couple of Mobil 1, EP, oil filters for $3 and change each.....and run each filter for 15K with whatever WM oil that's on rollback pricing.

The Smitty's oils are kind of like Mystik/Citgo oils. They are not real common on the road but have been around forever making oils and fluids sold at the farm store which always do their job quite well.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Hello everyone. I have a question based on a best value and quality for the money senario. If you stick with the OEM OCI of 3750 miles and one wants quality at an affordable price, do you use a better oil and average oil filter or average oil with better filter? For example:

SuperTech synthetic with Puralator Classic

OR

Smittys Super S (semi synthetic) with Puralator PureOne

Both can be done for about $20. What are your thoughts?

for 3750 miles? Supertech conventional, Purolater Classic for $15.99...keep the change. Synthetic is a waste of money for that mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back