A thread for the sane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always amazed at the wide range of experts we have on this site. From economics to climate. I guess anyone can be an oil enthusiast these days......

Wow, as of 1pm the NASDAQ is almost flat on the day and the Dow is down less than 1%!
Hard to imagine what we'll see at the end of the trading day...down 10%? Up 5%?

BTW, when I was young my dad told me that the stock market was just a big shell game designed to steal your money (later found out he had lost most of his savings trying to play the market in the early '70s). As a result, I didn't contribute any money into a 401k when I started working, despite there being a company match.
For reference, the Dow was at about 2400 at that time. I'd be a lot closer to retirement if I hadn't listened to dear old dad and maxed out my 401k and put it into a basket of good stocks then. I had no student loans to pay off, so I could have easily done just that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
You cant deny one thing, Al Gore is a very rich snake oil salesman.

I'll give ya that one, no matter which way I might lean politically
wink.gif

I consider myself a realist

realists-demotivator.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I'm always amazed at the wide range of experts we have on this site. From economics to climate. I guess anyone can be an oil enthusiast these days......

Its the internet...
we're all experts!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
with climate change deniers

Unless you are prepared to present facts on climate, you relegate yourself to being a thread troll.

Bring on the facts.

Originally Posted By: Danno
with climate change deniers

Unless you are prepared to present facts on climate, you relegate yourself to being a thread troll.

Bring on the facts.

What's next? Do we need to bring on facts that the Earth isn't flat?

You guys hit it ...Those with agendas (Politics) have polluted what should be free from agendas (Science)/(Economics) toward their own financial ends.

No matter what side of the argument you're on some trust in institutions has been lost.

My own notion is that we are just a 1mm crust of mold on on the surface of the earth. We make some lights glow and make some smoke and somehow we start to think we have the power to overcome the planetary forces of equilibrium and power of the sun. Go about your business and stay the heck out of my life you busybodies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Do you guys also manage your wife's retirement account(s) ?

Yes

Im pretty happy today, I bought 1 S&P futures contract this morning at about $1,887. Made over $2k in about an hour...

Originally Posted By: BTW
Im pretty happy today, I bought 1 S&P futures contract this morning at about $1,887. Made over $2k in about an hour...

Nicely timed. It'd be a neat trick if you can do that again and again!

The Federal reserve has added over $4,000,000,000,000 to its balance sheet. This quantitative easing has artificially propped up wall street. There is a higher then average likeyhood that a bubble has been created. Just like in the lead up to the 07-08 housing bubble. "Enron" money style policies and decisions lead to what storm laid ahead. Yours truly was little shocked by that. Price of homes went up 200% in 6 yrs and yet income levels had remained stagnant. Plus I remembered the Glass-Stegall act had been revoked by a republican house and senate and signed into law by democratic President Bill Clinton. Government sends out checks to stimulate economy in summer of 2007. I knew something was going terribly wrong. Bear Starnes goes insolvent overnight seemingly.

There are no more bullets left in the chamber for the government to use. Unless we start quantitative easing again. The stock market was less than 6900 in March of 2009. The bull market that has been propped up by "free" money by the Federal reserve had the market near 18,000. Bull markets do end. Government policies have greatly benefitted the top 40% of this country. Wealth disparity has been greatly aided by the Federal reserve, President Bush, and President Obama. Good, bad or indifferent... This artificially inflated bull market will crash down at some point. Just like it did in the summer of 2008. We have been in a "Gilded Age" for some time now. Golden upon appearance, rotten upon dissection in the inside.

That's not insane. That's historical fact. Bull markets end. Especially when they are based upon false premise, and or propped up.

Last edited:
So bbhero, are you going all cash now?

If so please let us know when you cash out and when you buy back in. Seems like you know exactly how to time the market. Share your wealth of knowledge and we'll all be rich!!!

I will tell you this..... When it smells like five day old fish.. It usually is.
smile.gif

Ohh and my step father hardly lost any money in his retirement fund. He got out before the 2008 collapse. When many other people were BROKE and lost their retirement funds.

Look at history my friend. Look up the Glass-Stegall Stegall act. Why it mattered.. Investment banks left holding the bags with bad loans made to 30% of people. Income levels completely stagnant.. Yet home values magically go up 200%.. ??? How could a regular person making $60,000 a year afford to buy even a decent house??

All bull markets do end. This one will too. Question is when?? And how far down the correction will be ?? Will the government come to the rescue again??? At what cost to the tax payers??? Look at history. I'm not meaning to give you a hard time
smile.gif

Just think about history and what makes sense and what doesn't.

Last edited:
Worry not. If the big players in the market get into real trouble we the people will bail them out, again. Not only are they too big to fail but they are too big to be convicted of anything. I think the expression is, "Rank has its privilege".

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ohh and my step father hardly lost any money in his retirement fund. He got out before the 2008 collapse. When many other people were BROKE and lost their retirement funds.

So, if he got out at the height in 2007, the S&P was ~1560 or so.
Its now at 1882 and peaked over 2100. You still sure he "hardly lost any money"?
Those who continued to contribute to their retirement funds through 2009, have tripled those funds bought at the lows. I'd say he missed out on making a lot of money.

I'd recommend you read some retirement books before making similar mistakes. Four Pillars of Investing, a Random Walk Down Wall Street; something like those, not "BUY GOLD NOW, THE END IS NEAR" type books.

IMHO:

1. There is some truth to Global Warming, however I am not convinced that the Earth doesn't have cycles of same. I do feel that the Industrial Age has had some impact to increase the overall warming, but the singular blame on humans has been too severe relative to the lack of understanding of what could be normal cyclic behaviour.

2. Having a gun in your house does not make you or your community safer versus placing your trust in the police. I say this from Canada, consider the source.

3. Trump is popular because he doesn't care what he says and has no connection to the special interest groups or Industry Lobbyists to taint his reputation. Much of America is fed up with politicians that are only interested in staying elected and keeping the status quo. Having said that, I feel it would be a horrible result and a failure of democracy in general if someone like Trump is seen as the only viable solution to run your country.

4. Forums of any type, all collect extremists. Forums allow those who lack the courage to say in public what they can type in private.

5. Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

6. I have little justification to use full synthetic oils in my IC engines, save my VW Passat with the turbo 1.8T. However I do, because I can.

Rant over, play on and keep enjoying your free speech and typing!

Yes I am positive based upon facts. Unlike many who lost ALL of their retirements, he has plenty. With zero change in lifestyle. Again.... How many people LOST a whole lot of their retirement???? Pay attention. Look around. History matters. It will again. Fools gold, the Gilded Age we have been in for the last 15 plus years.

Well, with climate change deniers and gold bugs preaching of the "elite's" market - are there any sane people left on this message board?

I feel like I'm yelling into a hurricane of crazy.

Happy Monday ya'll. Hope you didn't sell all your stocks and put that into tin foil.

Big Gubmint built a $15M ( big money here in fly over world ) recreation facility across the street from a property I own. I don't care what the stock mnarket does.

And water is the theme. So if it gets really hot, terrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back