A question for Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: labman
Frankly I have a lot of respect for Johnny. Unlike others, he is very open about his relationship and sticks to the facts without a bunch of marketing hype. I don't see the lies, half truths, exaggerations, etc. in his posts I see in others.

Where is is really bad is on dog food in some of the dog forums.

Same here!!
thumbsup2.gif

BMOC:
I don't know Johnny personnally but I've read hundreds of his posts and I believe him to be one of the most standup members of this board. I have seen Johnny recommend non-Pennzoil Products when they were better suited to the application so he is certainly not a shill for Pennzoil.

As far as the products go I believe Pennzoil, QS and Shell are among the finest lubricants made. Old stories about wax etc..are just that, old stories. I had a co-worker who had over 300K on an 89" Corolla using QS exclusively. That was before QS became part of Pennzoil which has only made them better IMO. If there is a problem with QS it's in their marketing and product NAMING but not in their PRODUCT.

What does this mean?

"your signature line is inappropriate, let this serve as a warning"

Finally, your signature line (which was removed so I don't remember it ver batim, insinuates that the people of America are paying attention to what our 'leaders' have been doing.
Unfortunatey, most Americans are oblivious to our decay and our 'leaders' want it that way IMO.

pbm,
You mentioned old stories. In the early 60s I used QS in my 60 Dodge Sinaca slant 6. Changed oil every 2000 miles. After 50,000 miles removed the valve cover to adjust the rocker arms(solid lifters). To my surprise the sludge was so thick I litterly had to scoop it out with a spoon. That was then and I know QS is a far better oil today than then. Just shows how oil has improved over the years.
Johnny had every right to dislike QS before Penz bought them out.

Johnny is a good man in my books. I'm happy he is a member of this board and appreciate all that he contributes here.
thumbsup2.gif

My hat off to you Johnny!

I've been reading Johnny's posts for a long time. I totally trust him. He doesn't hesitate to praise other oils besides Pennzoil. As a dog person I am curious about his views on dog food.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
LOL.gif
I don't know a darn thing about dog food, except I highly recommend you don't eat it.

I munched on "Chuck Wagon" when I was a kid... not tooooo bad...
35.gif

tig 1:

I don't doubt your QS story but I feel that VII improvers in 10w40's and such were probably to blame. I realize that QS (and others) have had bad oil formulations throughout their histories. Oil technology didn't always keep pace with engine technology. When I started driving in the 70's I would use nothing but GTX but now I feel that all SM oils are very good and QS is one of the best.

I am also a dog owner (more than 1) and I feel it's important to feed a quality food. I don't believe that price determines quality and that a dog can do very well on a good quality food that is reasonably priced. It's important to READ the ingredients and watch whether your dog is thriving. If you want to know what I feed send me a PM. (I don't want to give free advertising because they'll probably raise their prices.)

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I never have used a drop of quaker state, but my little fox terrier eats Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato by Breeder's Choice. Hopefully it's not too bad.

I use Avoderm kibble and feed my dogs fresh meat every day. (a pork chop or a chicken breast usually.(they are small dogs so one pork chop feeds both). My female is 14 and healthy and my 2 year old male is very active and ahppy.

No doubt dino is better today than yesteryear, but don't exceed 5000 miles OC, the sludge miester will get you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
No doubt dino is better today than yesteryear, but don't exceed 5000 miles OC, the sludge miester will get you.
Oh you just opened a can of worms!
27.gif

LOL.gif

Quote:
Changed oil every 2000 miles. After 50,000 miles removed the valve cover to adjust the rocker arms(solid lifters). To my surprise the sludge was so thick I litterly had to scoop it out with a spoon. That was then and I know QS is a far better oil today than then.

The base oils and additve pakagages are much better today, as well as better temerature control in the engines.

The sludge stories are not limited to PZ or QS. Both Standard Oil and Mobil also had customers reporting problems during the same period. However, the new pollution controls at the time were also taking a toll on both engines and oils.

The only time I have ever seen a sludged engine was when the engine had been run low on oil due to the engine burning oil, or the coolant leaked and overheated the engine.

Engines only sludge from "lack" of lubrication, negelct (engine overheating, etc), abuse, and too long a drain interval (for the sump capacity), never from the oil.

What, no "Ol Roy" dogfood feeders?
grin2.gif

And yes, Johnny is a "Righteous" dude!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Molakula,
Agree with everything you said, But after my QS experience I switched over to Valvoline and my sludge problems were reduced by 90%.

In regard to the worm thing,what about red wigglers? Blue Gill love em.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I never have used a drop of quaker state, but my little fox terrier eats Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato by Breeder's Choice. Hopefully it's not too bad.

I use Avoderm kibble and feed my dogs fresh meat every day. (a pork chop or a chicken breast usually.(they are small dogs so one pork chop feeds both). My female is 14 and healthy and my 2 year old male is very active and ahppy.

Purina Beneful kibble and Ol' Roy Hearty variety pack can food for the 4 yr old Pit/GS mix

Purina Good life and Meow Mix Market Select Seafood Variety Pack "cans" for the 15 yr old Siamese.

LOL.gif

I'm sorry, but the vet bills are enough.
whistle.gif

Mmmmm... bluegill. I really don't like fish much, but sunfish and walleye are pretty good. Not for dogs, though--I find it's easier to keep their teeth healthy if they're only fed hard food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back