A plea from my Electric Company to Conserve Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at it like this :
There giving you the heads up before there's a major outage. Some people waste alot of Electricity. Porch lights on day and night or on earlier than they need to be. Street lights on earlier than they need to be . Same thing with the parking lights at work . Small Appliances at home that draw current even when not in use . It's just a friendly reminder to conserve energy which we are all guilty of. Plus it saves money on Utilities .

Your average household has no idea how much energy it, and or what individual items consume, but only look at the totals on a set of bills every month.
Ask a guy how many KWH, Cubic feet/ therms of gas, or actual gallons of fuel they used and they cant begin to tell you.

Last edited:
The proposed and highly politicized "green" system of Solar and wind power, that can never deliver the 24/7/365 needs of our present population. Even China is busily building coal plants. The only, long-term solution is nuclear and or fission power. I won't even get into the economic/ecological ramifications of sourcing/ disposal/ politics of the batteries necessary for an EV vehicle changeover. We are one of the lowest carbon-emission countries in the world, yet one of the most productive. Effective and responsible use of fossil fuels is the key, the first domino that was tipped starting the present state of chaos was the cancelation of the XL pipeline.
Try again, we are the second highest emitter of CO2 behind China as of 2019 and 11th overall per capita out of 195 countries. Let’s stop making up data that fits your narrative.

Your average household has no idea how much energy their household uses and what individual items consume, but only look at a set of bills every month. Ask a guy how many KWH, Cubic feet/ therms of gas, or actual gallons of fuel they used and they cant begin to tell you.
1254 kWh for November. It was just sitting in my email. Another click on an app and I used 152 gallons of oil in the past 42 days.

Your average household has no idea how much energy their household uses and what individual items consume, but only look at a set of bills every month. Ask a guy how many KWH, Cubic feet/ therms of gas, or actual gallons of fuel they used and they cant begin to tell you.
1254 kWh for November. It was just sitting in my email. Another click on an app and I used 152 gallons of oil in the past 42. Both checked in under 10 seconds from 116 miles from home.

Try again, we are the second highest emitter of CO2 behind China as of 2019 and 11th overall per capita out of 195 countries. Let’s stop making up data that fits your narrative.

No bias in that group? I’m still waiting for the Ice Age that was predicted in the 70’s, maybe by some in that group?

No bias in that group? I’m still waiting for the Ice Age that was predicted in the 70’s, maybe by some in that group?
There’s bias in every group and all science. That’s the world we live in but it doesn’t give people the right to summarily dismiss whatever they want because that’s just chaos. That data is wholly consistent with data from other groups collected all over the world. That data has been vetted by the climate science community and the vast majority of climate scientists, like +95%, believe it’s accurate.

You’re distrustful of an entire field of science based on a prediction that never came to fruition 53 years ago? A field that is almost entirely based on huge data sets and models that run on supercomputers that did not exist when that prediction was made (if that’s even true)? Lol…ok…lol

Last edited:
I’m lucky to live in a city with a city run power plant that is wisely managed. My bill was cut nearly in half when I moved to town, away from a Private utility.

I’m deeply conservative, but acknowledge that the Private companies seem more concerned about stock prices than managing power supply. If the power grid could be run as competently as Ames IA utilities, I’d be all for it.

Chicago wouldn’t be any better than ComEd, based on their governmental problems.

There's more demand on the grid with widespread 90+ temperatures in summer than now.

Tell Al Gore to conserve.

I’m deeply conservative, but acknowledge that the Private companies seem more concerned about stock prices than managing power supply. If the power grid could be run as competently as Ames IA utilities, I’d be all for it.
It's been said that Dominion Energy (fka Virginia Power) takes care of their shareholders, not their customers.

Whomever said that never looked at Dominion Energy's stock prices....

That's Crazy high . Are you sure your not paying every 3 months ?
3600sqft house running a heat pump. Still a fraction of what it would have cost me to use my oil boiler. My electric bill was $300 for the month - had I used oil exclusively it would’ve been 2.5x that. The main part of the house is duel fuel and mostly heat pump but there are four other zones that are exclusively oil plus hot water production is oil.

With the weather such as it is, if it came down to it people wouldn't be too worried about clean energy as much as simply having energy for warmth. If the only available fuel was burning an endangered species, say so long Bearded Screech Owl.

Well, your from South Carolina. You must have missed the part where our corrupt, elected, politicians squandered $9+ Billion on a nuclear plant that's been scrapped and will never run, voting to over-ride then governor Sanfords veto of having the government build it instead of contracting it to someone competent, and then handing our once excellent utility to Dominion for a song.

Blame the politicians - but no one does. Most that voted for it are still in the legislature.
They did the same thing in Long Island with the Shoreham Nuclear power station. We pay the highest rates in the nation for a lousy distribution network that fails EVERY TIME there is a storm!

With the weather such as it is, if it came down to it people wouldn't be too worried about clean energy as much as simply having energy for warmth. If the only available fuel was burning an endangered species, say so long Bearded Screech Owl.
I think it comes down to there are places in this country that constantly get pooped on by people who don’t live there but miraculously they have energy for warmth and they still don’t need to burn endangered species.

I think it comes down to there are places in this country that constantly get pooped on by people who don’t live there but miraculously they have energy for warmth and they still don’t need to burn endangered species.

I hope not too many endangered species are burned.

Because of the ability to keep warm and dry we live longer. A 75 year old person burning candles for heat is in difficulty.

@Chris142

I have gas nothing except furnace.
connection fees for year run 500$
gas consumption is around 180$-250$ depending on the severity of winter

Even if my 4 winter electric bills doubled it would still be cheaper if they tripled it would be around the same cost as now.... house is 1200sqft including the bonus room upstairs with knee walls.

Gas is an incredible bargain if you use it though. I wanted to go gas water heater, gas dryer, and gas stove... but that didnt happen.
The connection fee is terribly high for low use including 0 use for 6 or 7 months.

Propane OTOH is 5-6x the cost last time I figured it out which would make a heat pump look very enticing.
My brother lives just outside Concord NH in an all electric house. His house is 800 sqft larger than mine but basically the same layout, multi level. When I have a $200 gas bill for the furnace, water heater and stove with a $50 electric bill here in Western Pa., he has a $400-$450 electric bill to heat his house. It will be interesting to see what the differeance is this winter over last winter with the increase in utility rates.

Here in NE ohio its almost convincing.... not that I'd run out and buy one but maybe when this natural gas furnace dies.

I have gas nothing except furnace.
connection fees for year run 500$
gas consumption is around 180$-250$ depending on the severity of winter

Even if my 4 winter electric bills doubled it would still be cheaper if they tripled it would be around the same cost as now.... house is 1200sqft including the bonus room upstairs with knee walls.

Gas is an incredible bargain if you use it though.
Your cost per therm must still be pretty high...my house is 2400 sqft plus I heat my 650 sqft garage in a much more extreme climate and I've never had a bill top $150 or so. Connection fee is $22/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back