A Manufacturer to Pull Out of NASCAR and Go Elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by rszappa1:
Look at Indy...The Great american race....The top 32 cars so far....All HONDA ENGINES....

It's all Honda because that is the only engine supplier THIS year. But even with one motor, The INDY 500 proved to be the best race in the world. Much better than the Joka-Cola 600.

quote:

Originally posted by Indy500:

quote:

Look at Indy...The Great american race....The top 32 cars so far....All HONDA ENGINES....

It's all Honda because that is the only engine supplier THIS year. But even with one motor, The INDY 500 proved to be the best race in the world.

They've learned how to turn both directions?

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

Have you looked at the names of the drivers? How many can you pronounce?

All of them. Most of them have better English skills than NASCAR drivers that were born in this country.BTW the top 3 drivers in the race were from which country??? USA

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

quote:

It's all Honda because that is the only engine supplier THIS year. But even with one motor, The INDY 500 proved to be the best race in the world.

They've learned how to turn both directions?

Yes they can turn right and left at places like Watkins Glen this weekend, St. Petersburg earlier this year and Infineon Raceway later this year. As far as close racing you will never get as close racing on a road course as an oval. Just look at F1. You can measure intervals between drivers with a calendar.

quote:

Have you looked at the names of the drivers? How many can you pronounce?

quote:

Originally posted by Indy500:Just look at F1. You can measure intervals between drivers with a calendar. [/QB]

QFT!
lol.gif

quote:

Yes they can turn right and left at places like Watkins Glen this weekend, St. Petersburg earlier this year and Infineon Raceway later this year. As far as close racing you will never get as close racing on a road course as an oval. Just look at F1. You can measure intervals between drivers with a calendar.

Since this thread was brought back from the dead, I might as well comment. The distance between F1 cars has a lot to do with their dependence on aero grip (and lack of mechanical grip) and parity between cars and little to do with the tracks they race on. If you put F1 on an oval, they still wouldn't be able to follow each other closely because of the turbulence they cause. The close finishes that the World Challenge and Grand Am Cup have had demonstrates this perfectly.

I'd actually be surprised if they were much faster than IRL cars with all the drag they have.

quote:

Originally posted by Lumberg:

quote:

Originally posted by Indy500:Just look at F1. You can measure intervals between drivers with a calendar.
QFT!
lol.gif
[/QB]

Thats funny I have actually used that statement to tell my son how quickly he completes tasks. Another good one is I could have timed you with a sundial. **** kid.

Quote:

Probably not a bad idea, since they won't have to throw away money they don't have on the futile effort of trying to beat the Nippon Giant, which has unlimited funds and resources to spend on it's roundy round program. I guess they feel that they must get those last few remaining "red state" domestic loyalists out of their Fusions/Montes/etc. and into Camrys/Tundras/etc.

Unlimited resources? Have the Japanese found a way to not only manufacture a better car, but to control the laws of economics as well? Tell me more.

The cars in NASCAR are just billboards for advertising. It's racing in the sense that they go over the national speed limit, but NASCAR is just a business that sells advertising and has consession stands that sell food and drink. If you brought a race car to the track they would not let you run it. you don't have to win a race, as an entrant, to receive value for your advertising budget. They have made sure of that. We all understand that even though it might say Chevy on the hood, that there might not be any Chevy parts on the car. You might be able to change the name to Ford on the hood, change a few parts in the engine and now be racing a Ford. You don't build a better racing car by doing something new, you optimize the rules. If you do anything else, it's called cheating. Why would a manufacturer pull out? Not because of NASCAR, but maybe because of the manufacturer's own internal business decision. They know the rules and costs going, and success in an advertising campaign is not connected to winning. That is one of NASCAR's strong points. They have made mediocrity the gold standard in racing.

I'd actually be surprised if they were much faster than IRL cars with all the drag they have.

The F1 cars at Indy are faster at the end of the straight (just before Turn 1) at close to 230 MPH than the IRL cars are on Indy with several laps to attain full speed.

We all understand that even though it might say Chevy on the hood, that there might not be any Chevy parts on the car.

Incorrect, the engine block HAS to be from the manufacture that the car is advertized "as". no other part need come from the actual production car. So, a NASCAR Chevy has an LS block made by GM; not the same block as the production car, but dimensionally identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back