A Kudos for Discount Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish the one by me was as good as the ones reflected above. Unfortunately it's all about the people at these places.

Years ago, (yes, I'm old) I used to buy tires from Pep-Boys. Matter of fact, I used to buy a lot of stuff at Pep-Boys. No More. It seems like no matter what you buy, including tires, they have a "Rebate", and if you don't dot all your "i"'s and cross all your "t"', you don't get the rebate. Even if you get it, you no longer get a check, but a "prepaid debit card". They hope you forget about using it, or don't use it all up.

That being said, I now only buy from:
Discount Tires (when I'm in Florida) or;
Dunn Tire (when I'm in Western New York).

Great Customer Service from both.

I was really happy with DT untill about a year ago. I bought 2 new tires and they put a huge amount of weight on my rims. Like 8oz per side. Looked horrid.

Sales clown told me that my rim was bent, it is not. I told him to spin the tires on the rims. He tried to argue with me.

I had them break the tires down and spin them 180* on the rim which brought the weight needed down to a couple oz per side.

A few months later I went back because I was getting cracks in the sidewalls. They told me not to worry about them and I didn't untill one went flat.

The prorate price even though I had bought the extra warranty was very high considering that the tire was nearly new.

I left and bought 2 tires elswhere.

I just purchased tires from Kauffman Tire but approached Discount Tires for a quote. I was shocked when they quoted me $150 more for the same tires I bought @ Kauffman. They definitely have excellent service but it's not worth the price.

Regards,
~Button

This is similar to what they pulled on me. I was prepared to buy 4 new tires but they basically denied my warranty. I have 2 tires that are thumping. When I said that to the DT counter guy, he said, "There is no damage you can do to a tire on the street that results in thumping. Plus you went a little long between rotations."

I had snow tires on the car for 3000 miles so this rotation was at 7000 miles, not 10k like he thought. But still.

I asked what he suggested and he said they will rebalance them. After 250 miles since the last rebalance, "only 2 were out of balance".

So yeah. Warranty is one of their big things, but the sales guys have obviously been trained to find a way out of honoring it. Which I have no real problem with, after all they are running a business. But I will not be going back.

Quote:
I just purchased tires from Kauffman Tire but approached Discount Tires for a quote. I was shocked when they quoted me $150 more for the same tires I bought @ Kauffman. They definitely have excellent service but it's not worth the price.

Hmmmm, interesting. Son got a Kauffman price with a $50 allowance/rebate on the purchase of 4 tires in Atlanta. On my suggestion he then went to DT with the quote, DT beat the price, and gave him a credit on one BFG that still had tread left. It was a replacement tire DT got for the OE that got a nail in it that couldn't be repaired. They also went out of their way to get him that tire and an adjustment for the OE BFG Rugged Trail.

I also advised my son not to buy the total replacement certificates for his new DT BFG Rugged Trails. Well, sure enough he got a nail in the sidewall not long after. DT got him a new tire for the cost of total replacement for all the tires, which I thought was fair, and gave him peace of mind.

DT also beat an online(lowest) Treadepot(Kauffman) price with a comparable Wally install on a set of General Altimax HP's. Couldn't have been more satisfied.

I would say on price you need to do your homework, be knowledgable on what you want and what you are willing to pay. IME, DT will, as someone said, sharpen their pencil and work hard to earn you business. Since finding DT I haven't bought tires anywhere else.

And, they have rotated my OE Accord tires FOC, and even send me an email invitation to remind me. Says I can send it to a friend if I choose. I've already posted a thread here about my satisfaction with the rotations done at DT. Also IME, the service after after the sale, with rotations and balance has been second to none.

Speaking of DT, here is what happened during my most recent visit. I had BFG's on my car for almost two years. Started getting a vibration from 55-70mph so I took it in and had them RFB my existing tires for $48.00. Brought it back the following day as the issue was still there. Sales rep informs me that my tread design and slight feathering were the cause of the vibration and that new Michelin's would clear that up. I made it very clear that I didn’t want to spend $500+ for new tires if the problem wasn’t related to the old tires. Requested they check all my rims to make sure that wasn’t the issue. No problem I was told. $518.00 later my car still vibrated.

Returned to the store Friday of Labor Day weekend and a different gentleman spun my tires on the RFB and quickly was able to show me one of my rims was bent. When I asked why the other techs didn’t see this he said he didn’t do the original work. Manager was out for the weekend so I had to wait till that following Tuesday to speak with him. Speaking with the manager on Tuesday he offered to help me out with some new rims which is what I would have done in the first place. Went back in that afternoon put my new rims on with my new Michelins. Up to the counter I go believing I owe some money for the very nice looking rims. Manager comes out and hands me $100.00 and explains how sorry he was, and that he wants all my future business. I couldn’t believe what he was doing. All said and done with the Pro-Rated refund from Sam’s Club on the original BFG’s, $70.00 rebate, and the $100.00 given back to me I ended up with 4 new rims + Michelin Symmetry tires for $250.00. Now that’s customer service.

My only experience at DT was when I bought 4 new rims and tires for my wagon. They were the only store around that could figure out how to fit new rims to my wagon. They even had a 3-way phone conversation with me and the guy from American Racing to make sure I was getting what I wanted. The price was good too.

When I went to get the tires/rims moutned they pulled a rim out of the box and test fitted it to make sure it ws all going to work well and the guys in the shop did some high fives and got to work mounting tires, installing center caps, etc. They did a good job. They also contacted me with the valve stem recall 2 years later. They serviced the recall well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back