A good experience with a Shop !

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im on vacation last week and notice my Silverado feels a little doggy, like im dragging a anchor.. Then a day later i hear a grinding noise (for only a few seconds) from the front end.. I have plans and simply dont have the time in the vacation schedule to start looking for noises.. So i call my dads favorite mom and pop shop, a appointment was made and the truck dropped off.

They call: "We cant find anything, your trucks pretty much in perfect condition and all your fluids look brand new"... I think to myself of course they do , im a BITOG'ER..

I pick up the truck and make it halfway home, it still feels doggy and 3 miles away it makes that awfull grinding noise again.. i bring it straight back to the shop..

The next day i get the call, "Did you do a brake job yourself" (yes) "did you lube the pins on your callipers" (errrr..no) They seemed perfect and i took the shortcut.. No i did not lube the pins.. Well, your front left calliper is dragging, thats probably the doggy ness your experience, i ask them wouldnt i hear a noise if it was dragging, Not always He askes, did you notice it pulling a bit to the left ? (Yes) that would explain it.. Also, your right front hub assembly is going bad, there is play and with a stethascope noise can be heard.. Ohhh..

Sir you need new rotors as you had the old ones turned and if we turn them again they will be below spec.. you need pads now as one side is shot, and you need a new hub.. OUCH...

The good: The shop did all the legwork, they had my previous pads warranty done for me so i got a fresh set of pads for zero dollars, Since they did not detect this stuff the first time around they gave me a price break on parts $100 appiece rotors for $80 each, the $360 hub for $300

They lubed the callipers, new top end pads, new top end rotors, new Hub assembly, topped off fluids (and yes they actually did) and all the labor for $680.00

And they were pretty cool to deal with as well..

eveyone has negative shop stories, i had a decent experience..(minus them not figuring it all out the first day) and my own brakejob shortcut 2 summers ago led to the new work needing to be done.. Yep my fault..

Thought i would share.. P.S my trucks picked up 2.5 mpg on the computer and drives like pure silk.. I checked all there work and im completely satisfied.

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
yep - I learned a hard lesson on not lubing the caliper pins as well - takes just a minute to do too.

I even lube the pins on new calipers, that way i know what lube is there. I clean off theirs and put my sylglide on them.

Thanks for sharing...

So many bad stories getting "all the press", it's nice to hear something positive for a change

I'd say that was a "mixed" shop experience.
28.gif
45.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd say that was a "mixed" shop experience.
28.gif
45.gif

Your right, however ive had so many bad experiences that i guess a mixed one seems pretty good ! atleast i got a price break. Oh and the trucks still running smooth as glass.

Five replies in near as many days on a thread where the O/P had a good experience with a shop? If the title would have been about a bad experience, it would have exploded into a 5 page thread, full of bashing. Sad.

Good to hear you were treated to your liking and the outcome was good!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Five replies in near as many days on a thread where the O/P had a good experience with a shop? If the title would have been about a bad experience, it would have exploded into a 5 page thread, full of bashing. Sad.

Good to hear you were treated to your liking and the outcome was good!

i kinda thought that as well, alot of folks truly feed into the negative, however as no passion or drama is involved in the positive, not alot to get excited about. Human nature i suppose. Im guilty, been there, got the grey hair, now i try to put a little positive out when i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back