A Different Grilling Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't want to hijack the other grill question thread...

My BIL prefers charcoal to do his BBQ, but he doesn't really BBQ, he grills. Burgers, chicken, and steak mostly. Nothing that goes on a low heat for hours.

I prefer gas to do my grilling. Tastes the same to me and a lot less mess.

What do the BITOG grillmasters use and why?

Propane. Not as messy, and you don't have to wait for charcoal to heat up. QVC has an electric grill as their special value today. I've never tried one of those.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Charcoal and smoking wood ONLY :^)

Smoked some fish (lightly) this weekend using a propane fueled smoker. Delicious and so easy!

Last edited:
I'll char up some chicken over gas maybe once a year or so, but otherwise I'm charcoal all the way. Aside from that, the gas grill is only there for the 'just in case' situation of hungry people showing up when the charcoal isn't hot. Well, that or the dog begging when the charcoal isn't hot.

There are ways of adding charcoal to a propane grill to get the flavor with the convenience.

You really need both.

I have a fantastic Weber Genesis on my deck, it's an appliance and since we grill probably twice a week that's what we need daily. I grew up with charcoal and miss it, so for tailgating we have a charcoal grill.

A few projects down the line is a two or three inch thick concrete circle that I can get a fire going in the pit, let the flames die, throw it on, then cook pizzas on. I'm not sure if that counts for grilling or not but I figure the more people I tell about it the more likely it is to happen.

I have both. Propane is a lot easier to clean up after, and faster to cook, but there is sometimes, I just prefer that charcoal taste.

We went to charcoal after our cheap propane bbq disintegrated and I couldn't find a gas model that I could be sure was made with better materials unless we spent $1k+
I actually don't like store bought charcoal as it pretty much has no smoke/flavour left in it, so we just use hardwood scraps from the firewood pile. If you want more smokey flavour, put the meat on earlier before all that's left is coals. Or I'll put a fresh chunk of maple or cherry on the coals when the meat goes on.
We do use the store bought charcoal to start the fire with a chimney thing so it usually takes less than a beer to get cooking I find.

Propane for quick grilling during the week.

For the weekends it's usually wood fire. Light up the wood, let the fire burn and then cook your veggies and other stuff on the coals.

Charcoal for everything. Lighting up a pile of coals takes 10 minutes and I enjoy every part of it. I'd rather light 100 piles of coals than lug one propane tank.

Also, for something like chicken thighs and drums that are bone in (even wings), the amount of time they need on the grill is enough for charcoal smoke flavor to settle into the meat.

I use propane just because it's much quicker, less messy, and more healthy. If I really want this wood smoke flavor, like when doing ribs, I will throw in some wood chips between the flavorizer bars.

Got a covered propane BBQ (poor thing has some serious rusting after 13 years outside).
Weber charcoal
Weber suitcase charcoal
Little chinese hibachi connected to a vacuum cleaner.

(threw out my Brinkmann - was only ever good for jerky)

And my big gas stove inside (Belling Richmond, it's awesome).

Gas stove beats gas grill every day.

Charcoal BBQ beats the lot, and really only needs an extra half hour of thinking time (not doing time)

A Weber Genesis is what we use for day to day grilling. I have a Bradley smoker for smoking turkey, ribs, fish, and just about anything else.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I have both. Propane is a lot easier to clean up after, and faster to cook, but there is sometimes, I just prefer that charcoal taste.
+1

Use but wood Kiawe. Relatives uses charcoal so I told them try adding some Kiawe wood with it. Now they use both combo, increases heat plus extra wood flavor.

Only downside with all Kiawe wood is the smoke it creates starting the fire which can be offensive to neighbors. A minute drive to an open park area is where I heat the wood up with a propane gun. I always grill extra to be vacuum frozen for stir fry and soups.

I use a homemade stainless steel grill with a cast iron grate.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Propane for quick grilling during the week.

For the weekends it's usually wood fire. Light up the wood, let the fire burn and then cook your veggies and other stuff on the coals.

Exactly what I do. Plan on cooking a pork shoulder this Sat. on a wood fire. 8 hours of perfection.

Charcoal for me, my small arsenal of grilling machines, 22" weber grill on the left, Kenmore 5 burner gas grill center and my 26" weber big boy grill on the right,22" weber grill to the right of the 26" is my old 22" weber grill retired to plant duty, the gas grill is used rarely and collects dust since I use the 22" and 26" grills all the time, can't beat that charcoal taste in everything I cook
cheers3.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back