A Costco food court's new menu item is raising eyebrows for its price

I actually do a fair amount of work in the Costco food court/pizza area and they are MUCH better managed & run than your average fast food operation. They know how to crank out a pretty decent pizza, and I don’t see any reason they couldn’t make a decent sandwich (although the $10 price tag won’t sell well, IMO). If you place your order at the kiosks it seems to move pretty quickly.
I don't think they are expecting it to sell well. It's to show how cheap the hotdog price is, and laying ground for the price increases of the other items. Essentially, conditioning the punters for price increases.

Reference Points: (All local to my location)
-Subway "Roast Beef Sandwich" 6" $8.09 12" $12.29 (Comes in around 700 Calories as another reference point)
-Jimmy Johns "Roast Beef" Regular 8" $6.99 (500Calories) 16" $13.35 (1000 Calories)
-Quiznos "French Dip) 8" $12.00, 760 Calories
-Erberts and Gerberts, Tullius (Roast Beef) : $8.49 (710 Calories)
-Firehouse Subs, Roast Beef: Med $8.99 (740 Cal) Large $12.49 (1140 Calories)
-Jersey Mikes, Regular $9.95 (890 Calories)

And noting that by news stories this is at ONE Costco in Washington, where the cost of living is by most measures 15% or more higher than here, suddenly $9.99 seems well, normal.

The pizza ain't great.... It's barely edible by NYC standards... but still better than a lot of pizza joints in CA.
$10 for roast beef sandwich? It depends on how high they stack the roast beef.

Since it's a new item, Costco owners don't need to keep the promise to the original founder of Costco to keep the price low on legacy items

Now... $10 for the roast beef vs $5 for the rotisserie chicken inside the Costco? I'll take the chicken. It's good for about 4 meals for me.

On a side note, one of the founders, Sol Price started up a similar model of store in the Philippines called S&R. It’s quite popular and I’ve been to one. The food court is almost a carbon copy of Costco right down to the New York pizza. They are not quite the size of the stores you will see here but they do booming business especially with the foreign expat community which is quite large there.

Reactions: GON
That sandwich looks big enough for 2 people.
You have that backwards. At 790 calories I'd need two of them to meet my (healthy) daily caloric intake as it would be my larger meal of the day.

No way I'd pay $10 for that at costco, let alone $20 for a meal's worth. They are charging a premium, restaurant rate for it. It can be argued that it's fair, based on restaurants, but I don't consider Costco a place where i would pay restaurant rates.

Roast beef sandwich is a bad deal anywhere right now. Beancounters are oblivious to the reality that you can't apply the 30% food cost vs retail rule to ingredients that are inflated right now. The higher the ingredient cost is, the less you can inflate that if you hope to make good sales, because this is not a romantic restaurant where you'd take a date, LOL! There is zero value added to get it while you're shopping, unless you spend, way, WAY too much time at costco, and people shopping at costco that much are not looking to pay a premium for things.

Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Lastly. $10 is like nothing. Sorry to say.

You must be overpaying, I've never bought a $10 sammich in my life. I never would, that is sit down restaurant, multiple courses territory once any course costs $10 or more, except of course, the main protein portion of the meal like a steak, seafood, lamp, pork, goose, whatever. Certainly not the little bit of meat you get on that sandwich. Whole sandwich is only 790 calories, with bread and sauce, what do you think you're getting?

I'm very cost and calorie and protein conscious. $10 is a joke. You just don't pay a premium for a sandwich at costco.

Last edited:
Costco is rasing the over all cost of their menu by introducing higher priced new offerings.

You must be overpaying, I've never bought a $10 sammich in my life. I never would, that is sit down restaurant, multiple courses territory once any course costs $10 or more, except of course, the main protein portion of the meal like a steak, seafood, lamp, pork, goose, whatever. Certainly not the little bit of meat you get on that sandwich. Whole sandwich is only 790 calories, with bread and sauce, what do you think you're getting?

I'm very cost and calorie and protein conscious. $10 is a joke. You just don't pay a premium for a sandwich at costco.

It depends on where you live. You must be in a cheap area to live in?

$10 bucks is nothing in WA state and especially around the Seattle area. Try $45 for a pub pizza.

Missed my point big time. I'm not vouching for the sandwich. I've no idea if it's a good value. I'm just saying $10 is chump change in 2023.
$10 is a half hour of work for an unskilled worker. It's not much. It really isn't.

Multiple course meal. $10. Sure, got more of those time warp pills?

This place makes an acceptable sandwich: http://www.davincismkt.com/menu

Missed my point big time. I'm not vouching for the sandwich. I've no idea if it's a good value. I'm just saying $10 is chump change in 2023.
$10 is a half hour of work for an unskilled worker. It's not much. It really isn't.

Multiple course meal. $10. Sure, got more of those time warp pills?

This place makes an acceptable sandwich: http://www.davincismkt.com/menu
You don't seem to understand math. No, $10 is more than the hourly wage for the average unskilled worker, but it's beside the point.

Clearly, you are filled with delusions that have nothing to do with reality.

If you are a sucker who pays that much and doesn't feel *reemed* then I can only conclude that you've been reemed so many times already that you are a bit.... loose and can't feel it now.

Again, I've never paid that much for a sandwich. I would never support some jackarse overcharging that much. It has nothing to do with time warp, I'm just not that stupid.

Back