A Costco food court's new menu item is raising eyebrows for its price

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024

A Costco food court's new menu item is raising eyebrows for its price​

At first I thought the price of $9.99 was expensive for a roast beef sandwich. But then I recalled Jimmy John's and jersey Mike charges like money for their regular subs, so a second look tells me the price may not be so over the top

B8W8m9arOSbYa8WjkulDJQ3shz5XFZ1RmEuu28PMPuE.gif

Last edited:
The price isn't totally unexpected, considering today's economic issues.

However, for me, it would have to be without the rabbit food, then toasted, with some cheese on it, and served au jus. And napkins. Several napkins.
Rabbit food LOL

Odds are I'll never even see one.
Costco checkout lines are EXTREMELY WELL managed but the que at the fast food window and the workers behind it do not seem to move.
The few tables they have are in the highest traffic area.
I'm all for grabbing a dog etc. but Costco couldn't've done a worse job.
There's no telling what you get for your money.
I'd bet against them using any premium meat product.

Last edited:
I actually do a fair amount of work in the Costco food court/pizza area and they are MUCH better managed & run than your average fast food operation. They know how to crank out a pretty decent pizza, and I don’t see any reason they couldn’t make a decent sandwich (although the $10 price tag won’t sell well, IMO). If you place your order at the kiosks it seems to move pretty quickly.

I'm not too surprised. My 19yr/old son works at a local fast food taco chain. They start at over $16/hr to churn out burritos.

It appears to be one nice sandwich for $9.99. Most of Costco's fast food items are reasonably price. I wouldn't eat it in the high traffic areas and would rather just take it home or eat it in the car. Costco is a great store and we go there at least once a week.

I actually do a fair amount of work in the Costco food court/pizza area and they are MUCH better managed & run than your average fast food operation. They know how to crank out a pretty decent pizza, and I don’t see any reason they couldn’t make a decent sandwich (although the $10 price tag won’t sell well, IMO). If you place your order at the kiosks it seems to move pretty quickly.
Costco seems to employ higher end people.

Knowing Costco, I'm sure the sandwich is worth every bit of the $10. But the price seems totally out of place, when compared to the other items offered at the Costco food court.

For around here that is a very reasonable price. As a comparison a few weeks ago I had a French dip sandwich with fries and that was $19 at a local restaurant.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I wish our Costco had those.
I'd like to see one of these in person.
I'd be willing to give one of those a try, especially if it represented the Costco value proposition.
I would like to know the size of it.
If it were a sandwich that represents a meal for two, it would be quite the value.

They used to have a brisket sandwich which was very good but the most expensive item on the menu. Probably went away because of low sales. People there want to quick, cheap stuff.

Love Costco because of what they do. Having noted that, perhaps $5.99-$6.99 would have been more palatable.

I'm sure their marketing gurus are testing the water here to see what happens. I LOVE how the original founder of Costco is committed to holding the price of a Hotdog to $1.50.

If this were a situation involving the Pharmaceutical and Healthcare "business"..... they would have raised the price 100-times over.

It's just funny to me what people are willing to pay for items. ....."Ohhhhh that's too high!!!!" (As they open the door and slide into their new Porsche or Tesla.)

Back