A change in direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I bought an older G3 iMac for my daughter's bedroom, I had been saving pennies to eventually replace our somewhat aging Dell Dimension E521 in the sunroom with a new full size iMac. But the more I think about it, and the more time goes on, the less I want to have a ton of money invested in a desktop computer, one you can't take with you.

I was at a cross roads. I either pony up for a new iMac, pony up for a new PC, or upgrade the current PC. I decided that the best value is putting a little bit of time/money into the current PC. Tell me what you think.

I found a pair of MSI nVidia 8400GS video cards for free from work. Even these are not current anymore, but they're much better than the old 32 MB nVidia card that was in the computer. I've already put 2 more memory sticks in there, for 4 GB total (and that's the max). Windows XP MCE reports only 3.25 GB. So here is my plan, and likely in this order as well:

1) Buy a 1 or 2 TB external HDD for data/pictures/movies. I currently have a second internal HDD in the computer for that, but would like to move that external for use with our other computers. And current internal one is 250 GB (also a freebie find) and is half full. The cost here is about $120, but I'll be doing this anyway, regardless of which direction I take, so this cost is really a constant either way.

2) Buy a really nice display. This would be the benefit of a new iMac, the display. But I think I can match the quality with an aftermarket display. But here's where I need a recommendation. 25" is about as big as I can go with my current computer hutch. And I would like one with integrated speakers. I don't like having separate speakers on the desktop. I figure the cost for this display will be on the order of $400, but again, I am asking for suggestions here.

3) Buy a solid state internal HDD to run the system software. Need recommendations on size here, understanding that no personal data storage will be on it. It will be strictly software and OS. My current system HDD is 150 GB total, of which 115 GB are free, so I'm only using about 30 GB. Plan for upgrade to Windows 7 and/or 8 in near future. Cost = $250.

4) Buy a copy of the Family Pack of Windows 7. I can upgrade this computer, and the laptop, and possibly the netbook. Cost = $150.

So if I'm into it for $400 on the display (at the most), $250 for a solid state HDD, and another $150 for a Windows upgrade, I'll have a pretty dadgum fast Dell for $800, with fairly decent graphics, a screaming fast system HDD, and I'll have upgraded at least one of the other computers in the house to Windows 7.

If I have better options out there, please let me know. Of if you all with solid state HDDs say they're not worth it for an average home user/internet surfer, tell me that too. I think for $800, I'll have better components on my current Dell vs. buying a new PC for $800. Plus, I do like to tinker and would rather keep a current machine running than buy a new one when it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Just bought a great Dell small case desktop loaded with goodies for under 800 delivered. if you're gonna run win 7 get a newer one.

For a laptop go to overstock.com and buy refurbished. They can't be told from new and there are some terrific bargains with full warranties.

I just bought a brand new Gateway desktop PC with Windows 7, 8GB memory, i5 processor, 1TB hard drive, Intel HD graphics card, and a 20" LED monitor for $538 via Best Buy's Daily Deals. It isn't the fastest PC you can buy, but it does very well for normal, non-gaming use for ~$250 less than what you are proposing to upgrade an old desktop PC. And seeing as I have an external 500GB hard drive already for pictures/videos and such, I should have this PC for a very long time.

You can get some good deals on new ones. If you can wait for it, Black Friday isn't too far off.

I will have to look some more at new systems. I think if I bought a new one, it would be a Dell. Possibly HP, but probably Dell. I've owned Dells forever (and bought them all refurbished, by the way).

I looked briefly online this morning and even "performance" computers don't have solid state HDDs, or if they do, they're pretty high-priced options. Maybe I will strike that from the list. At this point, I guess I'm really looking at a display upgrade and a few Windows 7 licenses.

I will say that new computers with larger displays are a little more than I'd like to spend at this point. The display has to be in the 23-24" range. I won't consider anything smaller. What we do at home takes little processing power (Excel, email, internet), but we'll really appreciate a larger display.

I must say, I do like that Dell Inspiron 2305 AIO. The display size is right, it would get clutter off the desk, and the price is right ($599). But other than that, buying new and still trying to stay close to $800 out the door (including a 24" display) doesn't get me a whole lot more than what I have now. An Inspiron 570 with 23" Dell HD display would get me the same amount of RAM, a little better processor (although my Dimension already has an AMD Athlon dual-core), and it's $680. From that perspective, I'm thinking that an AIO or my current machine is a better value, no?

Please continue to talk me out of keeping my current system. I'd like to keep it, but if there are clearly reasons to ditch it, I guess I reluctantly would.

Thanks again.

To be more specific, my CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (from the CPUID program). Core speed is 2 GHz. The whole system is lightning fast on XP MCE. I expect similar from Windows 7. I had Vista on it for a while, but performance was sluggish, so I put the OEM XP MCE back on. I understand 7 runs much better than Vista, and even better than XP in some cases.

You might want to check out a Dell Vostro 3700 and 3750 laptops on the Dell Outlet. 17" screen, Windows 7, Intel i5 processor, 320 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB video, for under $700. We have a bunch of 3700s at work and they're pretty good machines. The 3500 and 3550 are nice if you're looking for a slighly smaller 15.6" display.

I just bought a off lease business notebook from ebay for $154 plus shipping about a month ago for my wife. It's been working great. I'm going to upgrade the memory to 4GB ram but computers depreciate like a rock. I can't justify spending almost a $1000 in a computer anymore. I got burned in the 90's and blew $2000 on a slow like a rock IBM aptiva. no more I say.

If you want to stay mac, check out the newest Mac mini's. A lot of bang for the buck and you don't have to get stuck with the Apple glossy monitor. You might have to buy a keyboard, mouse, and new monitor if you don't already have them though.

Get a Mac. No need to worry about malware or viruses or anything for that matter. X2: Get a Mac Mini they are cheap and powerful.

Originally Posted By: NewC6
If you want to stay mac, check out the newest Mac mini's. A lot of bang for the buck and you don't have to get stuck with the Apple glossy monitor. You might have to buy a keyboard, mouse, and new monitor if you don't already have them though.

+1

More stable OS, far less prone to viruses. The new 2011 Mini looks like a winner. You can also check the Refurbished section at the Apple store online and see what they have in a 2010 unibody Mini. Our 2010 Mini is used heavily and works perfectly, ans so both of our older (2008-2009) MacBooks.

Originally Posted By: NewC6

Well, that is another "pro" of buying a top-line display for my current computer. If I do decide to get a Mac in the future, the Mac mini would then work because I'd already have a high quality display to use with it.

Consider upgrading.

you could get an amd 840 quadcore with motherboard for under 100.
Probably have to snag some ddr3 memory too.

Upgrade your own.

Unless you use a lot of CPU intensive application (development work that uses a lot of CPU), you probably are better off putting $ in the SSD. Hard drive is still the biggest bottleneck and for only software and OS, a 60-120GB would be a great improvement.

You can get the same quality monitor as iMac if you don't mind having a tower around. The benefit is you can keep this monitor around for a long time long after the CPU, graphics, etc are obsolete.

Most prebuild will not give you a good deal on SSD and you end up buying the DVD/Keyboard/Mouse/HardDrive all over again.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Unless you use a lot of CPU intensive application (development work that uses a lot of CPU), you probably are better off putting $ in the SSD. Hard drive is still the biggest bottleneck and for only software and OS, a 60-120GB would be a great improvement.

You are the first to comment on the SSD. Do you have one and what do you think about it? From what I've read about them, the OS is much much snappier when running on an SSD, and it has more of an effect on system performance than RAM does. I don't know that to be true, as I've never had experience with them. It makes sense and I love the idea of no mechanical parts. Do they have a much higher MTBF than a conventional HDD does?

You can get the same quality monitor as iMac if you don't mind having a tower around. The benefit is you can keep this monitor around for a long time long after the CPU, graphics, etc are obsolete.

I don't mind having a tower, but would like to reduce desktop clutter. I did see that Dell has a 23" HD display with a sound bar option for speakers to attach right to the display. I like that. We are no audiophiles here; just want to hear the home videos as well as see them. If I can get the speakers off the desktop and attached to the screen, that'd be a wonderful thing.

I also like the value of buying a nice screen no matter what I do, and having that around for a while, and for whatever I would use, Mac/PC/TV/etc.

Thanks again for all comments, and please keep them coming!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Consider upgrading.

you could get an amd 840 quadcore with motherboard for under 100.
Probably have to snag some ddr3 memory too.

You mean upgrade my current computer/chassis with new parts? I'm not all that familiar with modern architecture. The last I remember about mother boards, you had an ATX style (or something like that) and a different style. That was a good 15 years ago. I'm not sure how standardized stuff is today. I'll see if I can find on Dell's website a direct motherboard/CPU upgrade for this chassis.

I raid 2 SSD (OCZ Vertex 2, 50GB) together because I need it for work. My software build time (4GB to 26GB source code) reduce from 2 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes going from mechanical HD to one SSD alone, and to 1 hour 20 minutes going to the SSD raid, this is with windows xp on

For normal operation in windows the snappiness isn't that big after you move to windows 7, but the load time for application start is still very noticeable, much more than going from a core 2 duo to an 8 core i7.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

You are the first to comment on the SSD. Do you have one and what do you think about it? From what I've read about them, the OS is much much snappier when running on an SSD, and it has more of an effect on system performance than RAM does. I don't know that to be true, as I've never had experience with them. It makes sense and I love the idea of no mechanical parts. Do they have a much higher MTBF than a conventional HDD does?

I don't mind having a tower, but would like to reduce desktop clutter. I did see that Dell has a 23" HD display with a sound bar option for speakers to attach right to the display. I like that. We are no audiophiles here; just want to hear the home videos as well as see them. If I can get the speakers off the desktop and attached to the screen, that'd be a wonderful thing.

I also like the value of buying a nice screen no matter what I do, and having that around for a while, and for whatever I would use, Mac/PC/TV/etc.

Thanks again for all comments, and please keep them coming!

so if you got a computer monitor with built in speakers, what if the built in speakers die? do you get a new monitor? I have a bad record with computer speakers. they are usually the first computer part to die.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
so if you got a computer monitor with built in speakers, what if the built in speakers die? do you get a new monitor? I have a bad record with computer speakers. they are usually the first computer part to die.

This is a good point. With the Dell display I'm looking at, the sound bar is an add-on piece. The display appears to be designed with the sound bar in mind, but it doesn't have to be on there. There is a bracket on the back of the bottom of the display and the sound bar "hangs" from this bracket.

In other words, if the sound bar quits, I could get a replacement sound bar or take it off the display and go a different route altogether.

The Dell ST2420L is a 24" LED display part of their "Studio" series. Added to that is an AX510PA sound bar looks to meet our needs. $259.99 from Dell.com.

24Soundr1.jpg

Link to ST2420L on Dell.com

if your dell is a standard atx tower design..
and not mini should be upgradeable. dell uses some oem parts but they are not often proprietary with wierd connectors like 10 years ago. SSD are amazing, I had some incompatibility issues with my abit motherboard so I'm holding off till my next build to go SSD.

Windows 7 runs nice but xp is still much leaner(not better).
dont expect win7 to run "snappier/faster" than winxp

of course being a dell it might have some [censored] 200watt power supply or similar that would also need upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back