A/C runs constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: Throt
It was the return supply line. Sorry should've been more precise.

lol.gif
You're still confusing me....oh well. Good to hear you've got it fixed!

haha! Okay, let me try again, we have 1 return in the middle of the apartment. The duct that connects this return to the furnace was the one that had fallen off. So when the blower was running it wasn't pulling from the return, it was pulling air in from the attic. Which explains the high humidity and lack of cooling.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Serial number states your condenser is 3 years old.

Really? I was told it was 5-6 years old.

Well good, the newer the better!

Great news Throt....

It's gotten to the point that when it comes to almost any
kind of mechanical service you need to have done (HVAC, automobile, ect) those doing the job aren't up to getting it done RIGHT..you have to do it yourself.

There are increasingly VERY few good service technicians of any kind around today.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
It was the return supply line. Sorry should've been more precise.

lol.gif
You're still confusing me....oh well. Good to hear you've got it fixed!

haha! Okay, let me try again, we have 1 return in the middle of the apartment. The duct that connects this return to the furnace was the one that had fallen off. So when the blower was running it wasn't pulling from the return, it was pulling air in from the attic. Which explains the high humidity and lack of cooling.

Alright, that makes sense. In A/C lingo, using return & supply in the same sentence leads to confusion.

Given your return air line was loose, I'd have them clean the evap core. No doubt, blown in insulation + dirt, etc has been sucked in for days? weeks?

Finally, you should remove that very restrictive "allergy" filter to further improve airflow.

Good work investigating the issue on your own!

Well that would do it !! LoL, glad you found the cause. Flexible Air Tight (FAT) ducting?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
An AC running at 72 is insanity. We keep ours around 75 and it runs alot, but I get cheap electricity so I dont care.

No it is not when you take geography into the equation. I've been to Texas and other parts of the south. Some are SUPER humid like New Orleans and others not so much like TX.

Mine is set to 70F in the morning, going back up during the day when no one is home. Why? Early morning humidity. When summer hits hard in the NE it can be an easy 45-55% humidity day. Then there are the 90% days and you need to overcool to achieve the dehumidification. Now true a dehumidifier helps but it also adds heat into the house. On those mornings it can spike to 70% before the sun dries it out and when showering adding more humidity to the house well you see the issue.

HVAC manufacturers have recognized this and some smart units will actually lower fan speed dynamically to remove more moisture from the air. Plus if you have a basement it adds to the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back