A/C is out and they ordered the wrong part

If I don't hear anything by the end of today i'll call them and start being a little more adamant about getting back out here with a solution. They aren't open Saturday and sunday, so that means I'll have to wait through the weekend.

Being in the business it happens. Supply houses and its any type of supplies have one thing in common they all look at a computer screen and info is from the manufacturer of the piece of equipment. The days of having a counter person knowing what their looking at is almost gone most if not all. Even if there is a manufacturer part number on the tag numbers change for suppliers change. Supply houses don't keep stock on slow moving items a plumbing house i deal with if a item doesn't sell in 60 days after 120 days goes on a clearance table.

I am guessing the AC company did not communicate very well with the OP which is leading to the problem. They should have located a part and told the OP, the part we have is in _____ and we just had it Fedex'd to our office, it will be here at 9am tomorrow morning and we will have a tech at your house at 10am. OP would not have to wonder what is going on, which is frustrating as *&(^.

Or they communicated what the OP said, which was to paraphrase, they don't know when the part will be in.

The OP doesn't like the uncertainty. Doesn't change the fact they don't know...

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
I am guessing the AC company did not communicate very well with the OP which is leading to the problem. They should have located a part and told the OP, the part we have is in _____ and we just had it Fedex'd to our office, it will be here at 9am tomorrow morning and we will have a tech at your house at 10am. OP would not have to wonder what is going on, which is frustrating as *&(^.

Everything I've ordered in the last two months has had problems. Nothing's been smooth.

Latest: parts for a Snapper lawnmower differential. I'm going to put it back together tomorrow with the parts I have,
mow the lawn, then when the final parts shipment gets here take it apart, rebuild it, and put it together again.

Not sure if I'm a fan of VFDs (variable frequency drives). From what I've read they're harder to
troubleshoot, and expensive and have high failure rates. Google: vfd failure site:hvac-talk.com

A technician would have stocked a universal blower motor on the truck, replaced it, and
been on his way. With VFDs he has to order one from the mfgr.; it's not stocked on the truck
(too specialized) and it sounds like it isn't in the supply house either.

There's a lot of supply chain disruption right now, I'd just wait.

Buy a window unit on Offer Up or Craigslist, use it for a few days then sell it for as much as you paid for it.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I would call other companies and see if they can get someone out to fix it before the other company gets the part in. I doubt they were sent the wrong part. More than likely they ordered the wrong part.

They already charged my credit card so I don't want the hassle of not being able to get my money back. I'll just play the waiting game just like with everything else.

Dispute the CC charge.

If you don't have pets, I'd stay at a hotel for a few days and chill out.

There are tons of decent hotels in Houston for dirt cheap.

We did that for a couple nights when my AC quit in Austin in June.

Or spend 99 bucks on a window unit.

I have a small window unit that when the ac fails I drag it out. My bedroom is pretty big and has the tv. Cooking is not pleasant, but that is a small inconvenience. I can sleep.

Call an hvac supply store in your area. Most are probably wholesale only, but I'm sure a few you can walk right in.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Or do I need to chill out and just wait for the part to come in?

I vote this. Life sucks sometimes. Maybe suck is too strong of a word, how about, sometimes it doesn't go the way we want.

In situations like this I try to put myself into the other person's shoes. Maybe they goofed on writing down the number, maybe someone goofed entering it into the computer, maybe somebody in the warehouse goofed. Is that something that you personally could have done?

Your emotions may say to "punish' them but don't you think chilling out will be best?
For a civilized society, we sure have a vindictive mentality.

Back