A/C in 87 camry is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get paid this week and I was going to take my car to the shop so they can check out the problem and have it fixed. What I notice is that the a/c nor heater turns on when I press the two lowest settings. It only turns on for high and very high. The heater works perfectly fine(well the two highest settings). I used it when I first got it around Feb I believe when it was still cold. What kind of issue is this? Is it a freon issue?

The problem with the fan is likely the blower motor resistor which is relatively inexpensive. To have the A/C fixed on a car that old could potentially be more than the car is worth.

Take it to a good shop and have a estimate done. The $50 you spend would probably be applied to the repair if you have it done.

The fan speed issue most likely the blower resistor.

I've replaced the one in my '87 Camry a few times over the years.

Thanks. I didn't want to waste my time buying freon if that wasnt the problem. Ill get that checked out either this saturday or next monday. I really need my a/c working so my 7 mnth son wont be sweating all the time when he rides with me.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
The fan speed issue most likely the blower resistor.

I've replaced the one in my '87 Camry a few times over the years.

I know that we live in different areas with different prices but how much did it cost for you?

Your best bet might be to simply purchase the entire piece from a junkyard car, if you can find one.
Does the A/C work on the higher settings?
If so, you have a resistor problem in the switch.
If not, it is probably not going to be inexpensive to simply fix the existing R12 system.
WRT your young son, we didn't have a car with A/C until 1968, by which time I was twelve, and my youngest sibling was three.
All of us survived the lack of A/C just fine.
For that matter, we spent many miles with our two sons in my old Vanagon, which lacked A/C.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Your best bet might be to simply purchase the entire piece from a junkyard car, if you can find one.
Does the A/C work on the higher settings?
If so, you have a resistor problem in the switch.
If not, it is probably not going to be inexpensive to simply fix the existing R12 system.
WRT your young son, we didn't have a car with A/C until 1968, by which time I was twelve, and my youngest sibling was three.
All of us survived the lack of A/C just fine.
For that matter, we spent many miles with our two sons in my old Vanagon, which lacked A/C.

As far as bluntly working...yeah. Blowing cold no. And true but I want to not have to rush home or wherever im going so my son wont get too hot and fussy. Or look back and see him sweatin' badly. I, personally, could do without the a/c unless its near 100 outside. I probably wouldnt even drive then. Lol.

You may have more than one problem.
The fan speed is almost assuredly the resistor or it's connector.
And you may need a shot of R134a in the system, as it leaks out over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back