Burning smell in cab with hvac off?

Definitely doesn't smell the best when you turn the heater on, but it works good. Have only used the heater a couple times since I bought the truck. Smell goes away with the ac on, but whatever the smell is its making me sick. Now if you have the hvac totally off is when it's the most noticeable. Haven't noticed anything leaking, so I don't think it's the heater core.

If you know a grumpy old man, could be a fish under your seat.

Serously, it could be some oil leaking from a valve cover onto the exhaust manifold and working its way inside the cab..

Last edited:
My lease car would get a rodent nest in the turbo heat sheild if it sat for more than a couple days. I actually had a underhood fire heading to Boston one day. Couldn't pull over, luckily it smoked itself out before insulation lit up.

Have a cabin filter? yank it and take a look. I had a rodent nest in an old Mitsu /Dodge coupe that threw the heater blower wheel (squirrel cage) way off balance

Is it a new car? It could be the chemicals getting cooked out of the plastic by the heat from the heater core.

I had the ecm repaired. I didn't notice the smell yesterday. Now it's only when I turn the heater on. Smells like antifreeze, but I don't notice any leaks or coolant loss

I ran around with the heater on a good amount today and the smell has went away. Maybe it just needed to be used? The heater core definitely needs to be flushed though, it's only putting out warm air.

Back