A bunch of whiners

Snowflakes will snowflake

Add in crybabies that don't know how to use a 3rd pedal correctly or a shifter from a manual transmission. It doesn't shift as well as the video game shifter.

Did the really old timers look at the kids in the 1950s and talk about the kids not appreciating their overhead valves and not knowing how to pour a babbit right?

Did the babbit pourers fathers complain about them not being able to fix a wagon yoke?

Maybe the wheel itself caused people to become spoiled, but only those before wheels knew the struggle.

Between FB and various vehicle forums it seems like the level of incessant whining is at an all time high. Just in the last five mins I’ve read - My engine with 200k miles makes noise at start up but runs fine...there’s a huge corporate conspiracy to not fix it...boohoo. My vehicle feels a little rough at 1500rpm but otherwise runs great but people actually ask me what’s wrong with it and I’m embarrassed...I don’t know want the car anymore...boohoo. There’s a small paint chip on the front of my vehicle with 25k miles so clearly quality is crap now and I don’t want my car anymore. I tow near my tow limit nearly everyday and my 13 year old truck with 289k miles needs a new transmission - I’m buying a GM and will never, ever, ever, buy from this manufacturer again.

A lot of people have real actual problems...these vehicles are not designed to be nor made perfectly. If you think every vehicle should run +300k miles problem-free...GET A GRIP!
Thanks for that, there's truth there for sure. FB and indeed this forum have begun to be infested with folks that can't problem solve nor take responsibility for their own actions.

and NO thanks to the first three posts following the O.P., that's a good example of why this site has gone downhill - tearing down a post without thought when it's obvious with some minor consideration that the post has merit.

There are reasonable gripes and then there are ridiculous gripes.
Yeah I agree.

I took a Honda Accord to 289,000 miles. I started a thread on here about the list of repairs I did to get it there. Honestly I didn’t consider it unusual or unfair, but others did. Haha.

And after 100,000 miles I never expected that car to still run “like new”. It had some sort of weird little shimmy at 70 mph that I just never could figure out (think it was transaxle internal bearing related” and I wasn’t going to fix that. The brakes never were really “right” after 100,000 miles. Always a little something I was fighting, whether a pulsation or slight pull. Replaced almost everything, nothing really changed.

But I consider all this normal car ownership stuff. And I considered myself very fortunate that I never had to replace a transmission or engine in all those miles. I like to pretend it was annual transmission drain and fills and reasonable oil change intervals that had something to do with it.

Yep. The days of leaded gas rotting out the exhaust system and fouling spark plugs were in my youth. A tuneup every 10,000 miles with points, plugs, maybe a new distributor cap was the norm. My old 58 Chevy had solid lifters and required valve adjustments about every 10,000 miles so they got done with the tuneup. Bias ply tires were really good if you got 20,000 miles on them...many gave 10-15,000 miles. A big step forward wad glass belted tires. And rust.... rocker panels gone in the salt states in two or three seasons. No AC, crank windows and a cheesy AM radio. Dimmer switch was a button on the floor that you pressed with your left foot. Dashboards were metal, no seat belts and oil was changed every 2000 miles (Pennzoil...the 2000 mile oil). Many cars required a carb and valve job at around 50,000 miles. Carb was rebuilt and the head came off to grind the valves. With leaded gas, exhaust valves were not hardened. You depended on a thin layer of lead oxide to "cushion" the valve. And seats....bench seats in the front were the norm.

Now there were advantages back then that we really don't have today. One I remember was found in Ramblers where the front seat backs laid down flat to the back seat. Very handy on a "hot" date. But many cars were six cylinders. GM trannies were two speed automatics so you could only "lay rubber" by putting your foot on the brake pedal, revving the engine to about 3500 rpm and the releasing the pedal. And brakes....way back, they used cable brakes. That was before hydraulics and the pressure you had to put on the pedal to stop was something else! And even when hydraulic brakes came in, it took a number of years until power assist came along for brakes and steering. Nothing like driving a 5000 pound car with no power brakes or steering, particularly with drum brakes on all four wheels.

And yet these cars served us well. They got us where we wanted to go (mostly) and you just accepted the reality of the situation and moved on. I think people took better care of things back then as they had lived through the Depression and World War Two.

A few more memories for the whiners.

I do not know how my father and grandfather drove at night. Headlights were yellow and one aimed at the ditch and the other towards space. If all headlights worked you had a prayer.

My father KEPT a sheet of plywood or cardboard to stay on top of his leaks. Power steering, transmission and oil pans all leaked i think.

My father and grandfather KEPT a set of old clothes, or overalls in the trunk. They would be used at some point.. if not for their vehicle for someone elses.

Glass fuses. What vehicle did not carry a box of fuses in the glovebox?

Imagine checking your oil every time you got gas, or every time before you go to work. I think my mother checked her oil both times. That was the number one rule from Dad... and there was always a few bottles of oil in the trunk.

This is how we know new cars are a lot more reliable than their older brethren. We find trivial things to complain about.

Being a "victim" is integral to the "new world order." Must focus that blame, in this instance a 15 year old 200k mile engine that has noise at start up. **** car manufacturer did this to me with malicious intent. Must be doxed and canceled!
Entitlement generation, somebody owes me for my unfavorable position in life

My favorites are ones like these:

Just bought a '15 Fusion with the 1.5L Ecoboost. How can I swap the engine for a Coyote and put in a manual transmission?
or
I've had my car for a few months. How soon should I expect the transmission to grenade itself ?

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me.

Isn't whining about whiners considered whining?
It depends if the people are actually whining or the people reading the posts etc consider it whining, some whining is actually whining and some whining is border line whining . I try not to whine, I just cry in solitude,,, usually.

These people 'whining' dont remember their parents and grandparents struggle.

As a child i remember 100,000 miles on a vehicle meant that it was 'worn out'.

Bias ply tires meant that you carried a jack and a full sized spare.

I think every car from the 70s and 80s rusted.

Every car my parents and grandparents drove needed mufflers or exhaust work. I think everything was stamped steel.

Carburetors were cool. Nothing like flooding a car out while getting groceries. Let me hold the choke while you crank.

Try driving for 5 years with AM radio and no A/C.

Every headliner fell down at some point.

15mpg was good.

You always saw someone needing their car 'jumped' with jumper cables.

I think my dad had to do a tuneup every year or so.. just to drive to work and back.

A good tuneup was spark plugs, wires, cap and button, fuel filter and timing light.

Dad and grandpa greased the front end and u joints once a year.

Adjusting drum brakes was an art.

3000 mile oil changes.. still meant you had sludge under the valve covers.

Yeah people didnt whine back then... And none of these whiners would drive their parents or grandparents vehicles today.

Much respect for our elders.
"Ahh the good ol days cars where so much better back then. " BITOG mantra.

People love to complain and whine. It's more prevalent because the annonimity that the internet offers. There will always be whiners in a group of people no matter what. Think about the people you work with, there is always somebody whinning or complaining. I just tune whiners out, or mute them on internet platforms. I try to teach my kiddo that instead of spending time whinning or complaining fix or address the issue and get on with life. More time is wasted complainig than fixing, because its easier to whine and complain

My favorite are the people that whine incessantly about some car that they owned years ago. We had a guy on here constantly complaining about his 1965 Dart. Half a century later and he's still b&m about it!

I remember 70s and 80s cars would overheat if you let them idle too long in the middle of the summer with the ac on.

Back