A $30 pan for ZF 8 SPEED! could it be??

So was talking to a member in another forum about servicing options for the 8 speed transmissions. He mentioned he had bought a replacement pan for his vehicle for $29. I immediately thought he must be mistaken as i had looked far and wide for pans not long ago for my own GC. In my search I had found some pans online for around $110ca but the reviews on them were terrible. In some cases the gasket looked cheap, or they didn't come with magnets. I was very skeptical and kept thinking (and hoping since i just paid $170 for mine) that he has the wrong pan, or it's gotta be just the gasket...ect. However much to my surprise I was able to find the pan online and it looks identical to the dorman pan i ordered from rockauto. It has the same thick rubber gasket and even appears to have a metal drain plug (rather than a plastic one although it only appears in pic so can't actually confirm that). He says it arrived as ordered and appears to be as described... not flimsy or weak. I just thought I would share the info since the cost of the pan is what makes alot of people think twice about doing a service. He is going to follow up after installing it but I'm definitely cautiously optimistic about seeing a pan available in this price range!

It was just a matter of time I guess before someone came out with a good knock off for less money. Hopefully his review of the pan after he does the job is good.

Ya will be curious to see more reviews after more people have used it
I was editing as you replied. I'd be interested in the reviews as well. My first thoughts is it will probably be OK. But I would be proceeding with caution if I owned a A ZF8 speed transmission equipped vehicle.

I was editing as you replied. I'd be interested in the reviews as well. My first thoughts is it will probably be OK. But I would be proceeding with caution if I owned a A ZF8 speed transmission equipped vehicle.
I recently changed my fluid after watching a video on youtube.. I got a dorman pan from rockauto... for $170ca... this pan looks identical to it... same looking gasket, 4 magnets, ect... lol just my luck

I think it was you mentioning this on the ram1500 forum. Great to see a decently priced alternative. My old man runs rhe 8 speed in his 1500 and I have been keeping en eye out for parts that won't break the bank.

I think it was you mentioning this on the ram1500 forum. Great to see a decently priced alternative. My old man runs rhe 8 speed in his 1500 and I have been keeping en eye out for parts that won't break the bank.
When it comes time for a service I highly recommend valvoline maxlife... I used it on my own 8hp70 and it runs great. Also after you install a new pan there are good options. Some oil change places have a machine that exchanges the fluid rather than flushing it. This method doesn't force or pressure the fluid through (which some people feel is bad, and can't be done our trannys due to the thermostatic bypass vavle) but instead they open the fill hole and put a wand into the pan. They then suck out 1 liter of fluid and then pump 1 back in... they do this for about 45 mins with the engine running. I got the info off of this youtube video... its got alot of good info especially section 2 fluids and the last section tips.https://youtu.be/F7MaXLwWQik

Back