9th gen Impala

I may be 1 of 7.3 people in the world who actually like this car, but it is what it is... 2006-2016 Chevrolet Impala. Every time I rode in one of these - I was always impressed by the bench seat, comfort, quietness, interior simplicity, and just a solid "I'm riding a tank" feel. If I was to get one today, for daily driver duty, which one would be the one to get? Which years of 3.9L are the best? Or is 3.5L better? 3.6L scares me with the chains of timing... Does 5.3L really go through transmissions as fast as people claim? I don't know much about it. Got any pointers? Which model (with bench seat) would be the one to go with for long term?
View attachment 145273
Funny thing, I like that generation of the Impalas too. Have I been keeping an eye on FB marketplace for a 2012+ LTZ? Sure I have.

From what I’ve read on the Impala forums, the 2012 and above (2012, 2013 and I believe 2014-16 as the “fleet”), all got the 3.6 LFX engines with the 6 spd which supposedly don’t have the timing chain issues. It’s the prior iteration, the LLT which I believe was used in a whole bunch of GM vehicles that had the timing chain problems mostly due to the long OCI GM spec’ed.

If I lived anywhere with cheap natural gas stations, I'd look for one with the CNG conversion like the 2009 I had. When I delivered it to Oklahoma, my jaw dropped seeing the 69 cents a gallon at the pump a few years ago.

005.jpg

026.jpg

My drivers-Ed car was a 9th Gen Impala. Nothing special, my biggest complaint was a lack of padding in the rear seat headrests. Feels like they put fabric over concrete. Seats themselves were comfortable though, beats any other newer Chevy I’ve been in.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with the 3.9 and the 4T65E combination?

The problem with the LS4 powered Impala SS is people tend to beat on them like red headed step children & the 4T65E-HD isn't up to the challenge especially with tuning that modifies/eliminates the Torque Management.

Kinda related/unrelated -- Had a mind the other day that a cammed-LS4 swapped DTS would be cool.

I got a white Impala SS as a rental car on vacation one year. The wife sniffed at being on vacation and getting the most generic rental car on the planet. I said nothing until it was time to merge into traffic the on the interstate. Priceless.

When my regular commuter got totaled I found a very good condition 4 year old 50th anniversary edition Impala. It could hold all 5 of us in reasonable comfort and with the back seat folded down it could transport 10 foot lumber with the trunk closed. Over the 7 years I drove it I eventually had to replace every blend door actuator at least once and the power door locks would quit in hot weather, but mechanically it was hassle free. Kinda miss it.

You are definitely the only one I know who likes that design lol. I like the style before it. I think it was the best looking modern Impala. The only thing I can tell you that you asked is the 5.3 is bulletproof but transmissions do seem to be a problem. I’m probably the only one who likes the style before this one lol 😂. But this one looks a lot better than the current ones for sure.

Aren't all the transmissions behind anything FWD and GM just complete and utter junk?
GM's 4T65E found in many Impalas doesn't hold up well to demanding use. I had one in my 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix that began slipping under hard acceleration from a standstill around 90,000 rural miles even though it got frequent Dexron VI fluid changes and new AC Delco ATF filter. I STRONGLY recommend older Malibus with the 3.5 V6. Mine came with the 4T45E transmission which is incredibly robust. The Malibu was lots quicker than any Impala I drove with the same engine. The Malibu got far better mpgs also due to its lower weight and handled better than all the Impalas I drove at speed as well. Low mileage rust free ones are available for fair prices.

GM's 4T65E found in many Impalas doesn't hold up well to demanding use. I had one in my 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix that began slipping under hard acceleration from a standstill around 90,000 rural miles even though it got frequent Dexron VI fluid changes and new AC Delco ATF filter. I STRONGLY recommend older Malibus with the 3.5 V6. Mine came with the 4T45E transmission which is incredibly robust. The Malibu was lots quicker than any Impala I drove with the same engine. The Malibu got far better mpgs also due to its lower weight and handled better than all the Impalas I drove at speed as well. Low mileage rust free ones are available for fair prices.
I know those motors are reliable but almost everything fwd GM I've been around or heard about has had transmission problems.
Montana vans are ones my mechanic used as loaner cars just for that reason but the tranny's always seemed to heat their diaper...

I must admit.....The 4T40E/4T45E is a good unit. As is the 4T80E & TH425.....With modification either of these could handle 500 foot pounds of twist in a really heavy car.

The 440-T4, 4T60, 4T60E, 4T65E, & 4T65E-HD are all in the same family & leave a lot to be desired, But can be built to be reliable.....To bad most cars with these units aren't worth the expense.

Back