98 Expedition - Time For A New Starter

I am having an intermittent issue with starting my 98 Expedition 5.4 4x4. In most cases it starts just fine. Occasionally it just clicks and a tap with the hammer does the trick, then it is good for a while. Pretty sure it is time for a new starter. Was thinking AA starter to take advantage of 20% off, but saw some bad reviews, noise issues, some shims maybe needed, etc. Autozone had rebuilds and new duralasts with lifetime warranty, but a little pricy and no discount. Anyone with feedback on good starters with lifetime warranty?
Also thoughts on new big box starter vs remanufactured?
What goes bad on these? The parts they replace during remanufacture, or parts they don't replace?

I was thinking of that too. Rock Auto has a Motorcraft reman with 2 year warranty for 150.00 including 10.00 core charge, shipping and tax. If it lasts and is good out of the box, this is doable. I like buying local, so if there is a problem, it is easy and quick to do in person, but I prefer a better part over longer easier warranty exchange.

There's no one local who is good, who can fix what you have?

That's probably your best bet, than rolling the dice on something that you'd buy.

Motorcraft. I’ve had good luck with Duralast new ones too. Never Advance Auto reman though nothing like doing one that took me 10 hours and having to turn around and redo it because the reman is faulty out of the box. Never buying one of their reman things again.

Thanks to all, went with Motorcraft Reman. from Car ID. They have the easiest core return with prepaid label, and best price and no tax. Should have it by next Thursday.
They also claim that Ford supports warranty service and replacement on remans. Any truth to that?

Thanks to all, went with Motorcraft Reman. from Car ID. They have the easiest core return with prepaid label, and best price and no tax. Should have it by next Thursday.
They also claim that Ford supports warranty service and replacement on remans. Any truth to that?
Probably (part only, no labor unless installed at dealer), but KEEP YOUR RECEIPT! If Ford is anything like GM, they want some proof it's a genuine part. I've warrantied GM parts people bought at other dealers, but I have to turn in a copy of the invoice from the other dealer where the part was purchased.

Good choice on Motorcraft. Cheap remans from parts stores are garbage. I put one on my old 94 Ranger, and after a couple days of no issues, the solenoid shorted when I started the truck and the junk starter just kept cranking. Taking the key out wouldn't kill it and it burned up the signal wire before I could disconnect the battery. I had bought it only because the starter quit on a Sunday and that was what I could get right away, not worth it!

My dad is on reman #5 I believe in their 2000. The original starter lasted >15 years, the remans? Not so much. Can't get a new starter from Ford or he would have gone that route.

Probably best to get the original rebuilt if at all possible by a reputable local shop.

Things that typically go bad to where a starter clicks but doesn't crank ... I'm thinking a bad coil segment. It's like roulette. Once in a while it's chance you land on that "dead spot". It's when you tap it with a hammer, the solenoid/bendix drive spring retracts the starter gear and slightly rotates the motor to a winding that will be good enough to crank over. Usually it's a shuddery crank over as the motor spins past that bad spot over and over in the start cycle. You know, that shaky-wobbly feeling:

JUH-Juh-...juh...-JUH-Juh-...juh *Vroom* ;>

Back