98 Camry oil change

I recently pick up a 98 Camry it run great but it was time for a oil change so went and got a 5 quart jug of oil at walmart and a filter did the change added 4 quart of oil let it run then check it motor off and cool it wasn't reading I added the rest of the jug that now 5 U.S. quarts now it reading a quart low so I asking how can this little 4 cly 2.2 motor take 6 quart of oil there are no leaks it run great no smoke
confused2.gif
Thanks

What does the owner's manual say?

Edit: just Googled for you and it says the 5S-FE takes 3.8 quarts (w/ filter)
-----It also says the 3.0 1MZ-FE takes 5 quarts (w/ filter); .

Last edited:
1 quart over fill shouldn't really bother it. If it bothers your piece of mind just drain a quart out. Maybe hit up the salvage yards and find another dipstick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
What does the owner's manual say?

Edit: just Googled for you and it says the 5S-FE takes 3.8 quarts (w/ filter)
-----It also says the 3.0 1MZ-FE takes 5 quarts (w/ filter); .

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

3.8 qts... 3 qts and 25 Oz's basically...

I've got a 99 Camry and the dipstick is wonky. The side it is marked on will read full, but if you flip it over it'll be below the add mark. It's weird, for sure. But I've done a bunch of changes on this car, and 4 quarts fills it properly--I don't bother with using 3.8 quarts, just dump in 4.

Many cars will handle a quart over without damage. Two over in a small engine is a bit much I'd think, but if it's not smoking then maybe it doesn't care (much). As long as it's not showing bubbles on the dipstick (from the crank throws hitting the oil level) then I'm thinking it's ok.

If it was me, I'd look into sourcing a new dipstick, but I'm not sure that is necessary. Keep an eye on the oil level for now. At the next oil change, add three quarts, run the engine, let it sit for a few hours. Pull the dipstick and use a metal file to mark where the oil level is. This is the "add" mark. Then dump in one more quart and let it sit for a few hours--I don't think you even need to run it. Then check the oil level and mark the level for the full mark. Done!

FWIW, the manual for mine says that the add mark means to add something like 0.7 quarts, not a full quart. Don't remember off hand, sorry.

I wonder if the OP checks his oil immediately after shutting off the engine. Or maybe he checked it last, when he approached the tip of Mt. Fuji?
How can he be so short of oil on the dipstick, after overfilling?

Back