96 Jeep Cherokee tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, long time no talk to

Hey i got a 96 Cherokee 4L. 4x4 auto.
I changed the oil with Castrol Edge with syntec and a Bosch oil filter.
Tick was there but not as much.
The tick has been getting a little louder when cooler after it runs a little bit and is taken down the road the issue quiets. I did replace the filter with a micro guard and added a quart of lucas just for grinns. not a big change.
Any ideas on what would help? I did also try Delvac 15-40, seemed a little better but not much

The 4.0 often develops a lifter tick, usually around 90k or so. Mine does the same, but it goes away once it has warmed up a little.

Apparently there is no damage being done while it's ticking, but nevertheless I tend to take it easy until it goes away.

I don't usually notice it in the summer.

Last edited:
mine has 137200 miles. I have yet to drive in the summer, since i just got it in february. and north dakota has been a little chilly this spring. She made it though out big snow last week tho. pushed snow with the bumper and grille

Pull the valve cover and have a look. Maybe its a lifter problem. If the engine was a newer 4.0 the tick could be the start of a wonderful piston skirt problem.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Pull the valve cover and have a look. Maybe its a lifter problem. If the engine was a newer 4.0 the tick could be the start of a wonderful piston skirt problem.

96 was the first year for the "new" piston skirts. Very well could be a piston skirt problem.

Or just "normal" 4.0 noise.

Often a lifter tick, a thick 10w40 and a quart of MMO for an OCI or two may clear it up.

Also famous for exhaust manifold cracks, they will generally go away once its warmed up and the metal swells from the heat, at least for a while.

Piston skirts noises don't go away, piston "slap" will once it's run a few minutes.

I agree with KCJeep above: My 4.0 seems to prefer a good 10w40 topped of with some Marvel Mystery Ooil to eradicate the 'tick' noise.

Somedays on a cool morning, I'll let the engine warm up to get rid of the tick.

If it still ticks after 5 minutes, I pop the hood & add a little more MMO. Gets rid of the noise every time.

My Jeep has 168k plus miles & still going strong.

GL

Last edited:
My 96 ran very quiet with mobil super hm 10w30. I have Delo 15w40 in it now. It was actually somewhat quieter with the mobil super hm. The motor really comes to life on Delo though. 40w is awesome in the Jeep 4.0.

I first thought about the piston skirt problem, I had a wrangler once with a 4.2 liter, that had a bad skirt issue. It does seem a little more lifter noise. I was thinking about 10-40, but never thought about mmo. I will have to try that since im do for an oil change this weekend. Ill have to give that a try.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back