95 K1500 5.7 oil filter relocation kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned many of these trucks, and can't get over how annoying it is trying to change the filter on the 4x4 versions - the oil spills everywhere on the 4wd components and then you have to tilt the filter creativity to avoid all the oil from running down your arm.

I see various oil filter relocation kits available from various sources, some much cheaper than others.

I see they pretty much all use rubber hose. I'm worried about if it pops off or breaks all the oil comes out and the engine is ruined.

Any experience with these?

Last edited:
On my 1997 K2500 Suburban, 454 4x4, I have the Amsoil dual bypass kit. The hoses are some sort of braided high pressure hose, and the filter plate is mounted where the 2nd battery would be (drivers side, opposite of the main battery).
Two nice side effects of this kit: filters are mounted vertically, so almost no drips when changing, and I used to have a few seconds of rattling until the oil pressure built up- that was solved with the dual filter bypass kit.

More specifically- they are not metal or SS braided, but some sort of fabric braided. I did find the hose pretty hard to cut when originally putting it on. Now that I think of it, the kit has been installed for 17 years without issue.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
More specifically- they are not metal or SS braided, but some sort of fabric braided. I did find the hose pretty hard to cut when originally putting it on. Now that I think of it, the kit has been installed for 17 years without issue.

17 years is darn good. I'd rather have a single filter vs two though.

Last edited:
The 3/4 ton version are worse with the bigger front diff in the way. The big blocks and diesels used the old vertical filter. Supposedly you can remove the adapter on the small block engines and put the regular small block adapter on it and run one of the short vertical filters but it wouldn't change the problem much.

If you do a remote filter you could have lines custom made from hydraulic hose or use braided AN line and fittings. I would remove the oil filter adapter and convert it to the vertical sbc style just to free up some room also. If it has an oil cooler those lines hook into the adapter and are prone to leak so one more thing to eliminate.

How is the kit different than what's found on the 4x4 Blazer/ S10?

A hose runs from the block to a remote filter mounted at the front bumper and then to the oil cooler and back to the engine.

The filter to cooler hose was leaking on my truck last summer. Gave the under body a nice oil spray to where I thought the front diff was leaking. Changed it out in 15 minutes or so and no issues since.. In fact, the measurable oil consumption is entirely gone. I am at about 5k with no top off's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back