95 F150 2WD 235/75-15 Recommendation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys

Need a recommendation for a 95 Ford F150 2WD. The truck doesn't have a limited slip differential. Have owned it since new and has seen limited used (less then 100K miles and in the past not used much during the winter).

Am planning on using it more frequently year round for bad weather (rain and snow) all highway/paved roads. The current tires are Firestone A/T and were installed in 2008. From the start they were pretty bad in rain hydroplaning easily. Although they only have less then 5K miles on them the sidewalls have some cracking (assume from UV) so for this reason alone I want to replace them.

Currently considering Michelin LTX M/S2 as from what I read this may be my best option for all all season and will address the rain need and some light snow. Given the limited use would it make any sense to just go with a snow tire like a Blizzak and use that ll year (Northeastern PA).

So you're using about 6k miles a year and looking to go more?

Tire rack does often show snow tires as the cheapest possible tire in some sizes.

Running them in the summer, though, will make the rubber hard and then they won't be good snow tires for winters two through four.

Your rim is such a common size, I'd get dedicated cheapo snows and separate all seasons.

Post pictures of your cracking, especially a close up of the shoulder where the tread meets the sidewall. Many tires get very small cracks that are safe enough to drive on. A F150 is, no offense, not sophisticated in the suspension, and would do stuff like axle hopping when you give it even moderate throttle turning right on wet pavement. Not sure why you'd decide to make it a dedicated foul weather vehicle, unless it's old and your "beater".

Originally Posted By: Rouphis
https://www.treadwright.com/p-7-235-75r15-crawler-m-t-p.aspx

Mud terrain tires are awful in rain and especially light snow. They're pretty good if you've got enough snow that you'll be digging through it and not hitting pavement, but there aren't too many places where that's applicable.

I'd suggest a set of A/T tires with a tread pattern that's good for your situation. I put about 30,000 miles on my work truck (Tahoe) annually in all weather conditions. We've experiemented with a few tread patterns and found the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor to be the best by far. It's especially stable in rain and snow. We also tried the General Grabber AT2, BF Goodrich T/A KO, and Firestone Destination A/T.

Oh, and throw four sandbags over the rear axle in snow. I put 4x 60lb. bags in a frame I made of pressure treated 2x6 lumber that honds them right over the rear axle of my Tacoma (between the wheel wells). It has no limited slip; just a manual locker that is operable only in 4x4 low. This helps quite a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
You know you'd get more effective weight if you put them behind the rear axle, right?

Yes, and reduce the weight over the front axle compromising steering traction. Placing it over the axle gets you better traction without compromising the steering.

Back to on topic - A good all-terrain tire should work well in this application. I like the Firestone Destination AT, but Bridgestone Dueler Revos have worked well for me as well.

^^ Thanks for the replies, please note am currently running the Firestone Destination AT's. I should have returned them back in 2008 but my son was using this truck at the time and didn't realize how bad they were until too late.

Have pretty much decided on the Michelin LTX M/S2 and the suggestion of creating a 2x8 frame to box in the section over the rear wheels for containing sand bags in the winter is a great idea

Thanks again for everyones time

Surprising to hear of your experience with the Destination AT's. I'd note they are one of the top rated AT tires on Tirerack. Everyones conditions vary, and that's OK.

Eitherway, the Michleins are an excellent tire and should serve you well.

My wife has BFG Rugged Trail T/A's on her 2005 Explorer. They ride great and are decent in snow and rain. For my 2002 F-150 I'm currently using BFG Long Trail T/A's. They are better than The Brigestone Dueler Revo's I had on the truck previously. They are quieter, grip better in the rain and snow, at least for me. I believe both are less costly than the Michelin's. though Michelin's are great tires, I use their Pilot Exalto A/S's on my Contour. These are the best tires I've ever had on this vehicle.

Whimsey

All decent choices, but I'm still in favor of the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Aromors.

For the love of god, don't get the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail. It came OEM on my Tacoma and was the worst set of tires I've had. Ever.

Update:

Had the M/S2's installed this AM (yes XL rated thx Capri Racer), $729 out the door (mounted, balanced, old tire fees, PA tax all included). Tirerack had them for $144 plus shipping each (and a $70 rebate for four) so I paid about a $100 premium but IMO worth it supporting a local business with local service.

Beautiful weather here today in PA so will need to wait for rain, but in dry weather I can definitely say they are quieter, ride and handle much better then the Firestone's.

Great choice!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back