Tire Chain Recommendations

If you get stuck high centered on snow.. that aint helpin. ;)

You are going to need a buddy, some type of winch, or be out shovelin.

Low range doesnt do jack for that type of situation.
true but neither do traction control or snow tires which is the post i was responding to ... and believe me, i've already learned that lesson the HARD way. but i don't think the OP is likely to go 50 miles from the nearest hard road in his escape before he puts his chains on ... so hopefully if he does learn that lesson, he'll learn it a heck of a lot easier than i did!

I remember putting chains on a 72 Dodge Dart and going out on the unplowed streets in the neighborhood. That thing would go through 12 inches like it was nothing, even up some steep roads. This was before 4x4 was popular so people would stare as they were out shoveling their driveway when I drove up their street in that old thing.

I remember putting chains on a 72 Dodge Dart and going out on the unplowed streets in the neighborhood. That thing would go through 12 inches like it was nothing, even up some steep roads. This was before 4x4 was popular so people would stare as they were out shoveling their driveway when I drove up their street in that old thing.
rwd can be better than fwd going uphill!

Even with real winter tires, there might be some conditions (especially ice) where the only thing that's going to work is chains or perhaps studded tires. And obviously chain controls where a FWD vehicle won't be allowed unless it's chained.

Obviously real chains work best, but they can be a huge pain to get on and off. My preference is for Security Chain (now owned by Peerless) Z-chains. I've got the Super Z for for my wife's Civic and Super Z6 for my WRX. My WRX does have AWD but California chain conditions require all vehicle carrying chains even if they're not installed. The thing about these is the traction is more consistent compared to a ladder design that breaks and then slips, and they're very easy to put on. They basically self-adjust using chain-tighteners that draw in any slack. I've never actually driven on them, but have installed them in the driveway to get a feel for the procedure.

I did see someone install the Super Z8 on the rear wheels of a full-sized Toyota pickup while I was in Yosemite during the winter. There was fresh snow and it wasn't easy with the big tires but didn't seem to bad doing it in the snow. An important thing would be to carry rubber gloves since that can be really cold and they can get really dirty. The other issue is taking them off and having a place to store them. It's going to be difficult getting them back in after they've been taken off. I'd recommend a garbage bag and then trying to clean them and get them back in at home.

Snow tires work like magic. That is the answer. My opinion...if conditions are bad enough to warrant chains, i.e. deep snow or hard ice...it probably isn't worth driving. Chains are for getting you out of conditions that will get you stuck.

I imagine the roads to the ski resorts are fairly well maintained and plowed even during storms. Snow tires should be fine. Plenty of FWD out there.

I always expect chains to be on vehicles in the woods, in the boonies, or on 18-wheelers up in Yellowknife. You are normally limited to 20-30mph with chains so not the best to be keeping up with traffic on the plowed highway.

My son has been working/living in Aspen, CO and with the snow already flying we are considering tire chains for his 2013 Escape 2WD. He lives in town and does not need to drive to work but would need these for forays to local ski areas, short trips etc. I don't see him putting on chains and busting it down I-70 to Denver in a blizzard, these would be more of an insurance policy. My understanding is Aspen does not regularly plow the streets in town. Tire size is 235/50/18. Appreciate input from actual users.
I'd go with studs instead of chains. I'm in Colorado as well but I usually don't see Aspen level of snowfall.

I'd go with studs instead of chains. I'm in Colorado as well but I usually don't see Aspen level of snowfall.
He doesn’t really need. When it snows, it is bad. But asyou know, there is A LOT of sunshine, so snow will go relatively fast from roads. And they clean good in those resorts.

I live in the mountains of Colorado. My FWD 98 Civic is a beast with studded snows on all four corners. I carry cable chains but have never put them on. When I lived in the high plains of Colorado (think windy and drifts on the roads) I had a 97 Grand Prix GTP with studded snows and it only got me stuck once and it was more ground clearance than anything else. I always carry inexpensive cable chains in a FWD car though.

I live in the mountains of Colorado. My FWD 98 Civic is a beast with studded snows on all four corners. I carry cable chains but have never put them on. When I lived in the high plains of Colorado (think windy and drifts on the roads) I had a 97 Grand Prix GTP with studded snows and it only got me stuck once and it was more ground clearance than anything else. I always carry inexpensive cable chains in a FWD car though.
Yes, having chains, and cables is a prudent backup plan, but relying on them together with all seasons is not a plan in the mountains. Blizzaks WS90, Michelin X-Ice, Continental VC7, Nokian etc. are the way to go.

Yes, having chains, and cables is a prudent backup plan, but relying on them together with all seasons is not a plan in the mountains. Blizzaks WS90, Michelin X-Ice, Continental VC7, Nokian etc. are the way to go.

It may be a requirement depending on the conditions. I don't see anything that gets specific about when they might be required other than they say it's required depending on the conditions. It doesn't seem to be like California where any vehicle is required to carry chains in the lightest chain requirement (R1).

It may be a requirement depending on the conditions. I don't see anything that gets specific about when they might be required other than they say it's required depending on the conditions. It doesn't seem to be like California where any vehicle is required to carry chains in the lightest chain requirement (R1).

We do not have it for personal vehicles. In general, higher % of vehicles here are AWD or equipped with appropriate tires. That law is for commercial vehicles, and having chains on commercial vehicles (as equipment) is mandatory regardless of weather conditions on I70 and several other roads.
They tried to pass mandatory 3PMSF tires on I70 for the same MM as chain laws in 2019. The reason was a really bad accident on I70 just before Denver and I470 eastbound. It is a long grade down and you lose some 3000ft in 10 miles. 68 cars piled up and it is a good case study of the importance of snow tires and that people die bec. they cannot stop, not bcs. they cannot go forward. The law did not pass mostly bcs. rent-a-car companies lobbied the lawmakers. I think if no tires with M+S and one causes an accident that results in the blockage of the lane, the penalty is $650 minimum. I think provison also states they can be fined $650 per hour of blockage.
This is an update from 2019 as a result of that accident in 2016:
  • Motorists driving with inadequate equipment when a Traction Law or Chain Law is in effect could be fined more than $130.
  • If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment when a Traction Law or Chain Law is in effect, he/she could be fined more than $650.

Back